closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who would be interested in a quartz Everest?

Who would be interested in a quartz Everest?

I’m thinking more and more about a quartz watch cause my way of life seems not to match with automatic watches.
    Anybody else that will be happy with a 36mm Quartz Everest?

How about a special HAQ (high-accuracy quartz) movement?

... for example, anything from ETA’s Flatline collection with PreciDrive.

Craftsman
    Certainly!

Craftsman
    Certainly not! But that is just my take.

Master
    Nope.

With a quartz “no cell” movement we will have a watch you don’t open the back case for ten years and you only touch the crown twice a year for the settings summer/winter time.
    I thing it will be my ultimate watch.
    I’m searching a nice quartz in this style for months now, seem it doesn’t exist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronoss View Post
    With a quartz “no cell” movement we will have a watch you don’t open the back case for ten years and you only touch the crown twice a year for the settings summer/winter time.
    I’m searching a nice quartz in this style for months now, seem it doesn’t exist.
    I enjoy interacting with my watches often, especially my hand wind only which I enjoy winding in the morning and evening. All my watches (4 so far) are no date versions so it is just wind and set and go. But as I always say, the best watch is the one you will wear. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Nope.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    What he said.

Hear hear.
    F.T.F.A.

I’m holding out for the quartz PRS-3.

Craftsman
    Don't fancy a quartz version.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

^^^^^ This would be my perfect five digit Submariner,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I enjoy interacting with my watches often, especially my hand wind only which I enjoy winding in the morning and evening. All my watches (4 so far) are no date versions so it is just wind and set and go. But as I always say, the best watch is the one you will wear. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.
    I can understand that but when WR is important to you, the less you touch the crown the better it is.

Smile

It's called a spring drive diver.

I've been thinking about this and I think I'd quite like ALL of Eddie's watches to made available with a quartz option.

Presumably the cost per unit (movement) would be cheaper but I would expect them to retail at the same price so that that bigger margins covered the cost of the hassle and expense of offering the alternative.

I like the idea of having a super accurate "grab and go" version of, say, the PRS-29 or the Everest Expedition. In the case of the latter it would also be lighter, too.

Everything else the same, just a choice of quartz or mechanical.

Yes, I love hairsprings and rubies and plates and pinions and gears but when the watch look that good I'l quite like a beater version, too!

Craftsman
    I would buy a black dial quartz Everest in 36mm ... as long as it has the updated set of hands :)

To wait till Eddie’s on his feet I’d just order a Horloscaphe.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I’m holding out for the quartz PRS-3.
    Surely a CWC RN Quartz is close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Surely a CWC RN Quartz is close enough.
    CWC is tempting, but given a choice I’d rather buy one of Eddie’s Precistas. I expect his would be more affordable, of higher quality, and issued in much smaller numbers.

Besides, I enjoy being here on TZ-UK. It’s exciting to keep track as Eddie’s designs develop from renderings to prototypes to actual watches, so I don’t mind waiting to see if and how the PRS-3 quartz turns out.

That’s a good point. I must admit that I’m excited to see Eddie’s new PRS-3 myself. I just assumed you were looking for something now.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    CWC is tempting, but given a choice I’d rather buy one of Eddie’s Precistas. I expect his would be more affordable, of higher quality, and issued in much smaller numbers.

Besides, I enjoy being here on TZ-UK. It’s exciting to keep track as Eddie’s designs develop from renderings to prototypes to actual watches, so I don’t mind waiting to see if and how the PRS-3 quartz turns out.

Nope!

Journeyman
    Not my cup of tea, but each to their own of course

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    How about a special HAQ (high-accuracy quartz) movement?

... for example, anything from ETA’s Flatline collection with PreciDrive.
    HAQ Dreadnought would be tasty. Not too sure about an Everest though.

YES, I would be interested in a quartz Everest.

As I have Seiko automatics, handwound Smiths, Citizen Eco-Drive ...

They are ALL nice and good.

Jo

Apprentice

Each to his own

I think there would be a good market for quartz editions of most of Eddies watches, (I certainly would be interested in HAQ versions).

Not that I don’t own and enjoy a majority of traditional spring driven watches, I just think there’s a good market for quality in both spring driven and the newer quartz tech watches.

In my personal opinion... spring driven watches are more of a living thing, whilst quartz is sort of soul less, so needs to be “special” in some way, hence my support for a high accuracy version.

But of course it’s all a very personal choice.

Apprentice
    I think Eddie should go up a notch to ETA elabore movements on the Smiths and possibly applied indices. Hear me out, the ebay prices show that supply can't meet demand, swapping the movement for something more pricey and yet more collectable is sustainable and yet work wise Eddie gets the same production or less at increased margins which is no bad thing.

Second point, a disposable apple watch is £399 for the base model - yuk. With the Seiko and Citizen movements, realistically one is looking at a total movement swap rather than a service and in 10 years time it's going to debatable whether it's worth the watch repairer's time.

I don't think Eddie needs to go for a new "brand" or logo etc.., his whole time factors movement was well established before the whole kick starter micro brands were even a thing, and time factors is exceptionally low priced by comparison.

Grand Master
    ETA movement supply is difficult to say the least, Sellita makes more sense looking forward. At the price point I don`t think there's anything wrong with the movements being sourced, in an ideal world (ie 2008) ETA movements would be readily available and affordable.....sadly those days are over.

As for high-end quartz, I`ve never been a fan. Any half-decent quartz movement keeps excellent time by most people's standards, high-end quartz usually involves thermocompensated circuits and historically they tend to be less unreliable.

Keeping it simple is more sensible in my opinion, a quartz alternative may be worthwhile but I don't see much point in anything other than decent quality standard movements.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 28th January 2020 at 20:22.

Apprentice

Each to his own part 2

When I advocated for a possible quartz version of some watches, I didn’t mean it to be at the exclusion of mechanical movements.

I agree with “nod_”, there is also a place for the Swiss movements as possible options, although my preference would be for the so called “top” movements as they are not just tested in two more positions (standard 1 position versus elabore 3 positions top in 5 positions), but are arguably mechanically slightly different.
    However the issue with ETA being more difficult to source due to them restricting supply outside of the swatch group might make the use of other Swiss manufacturers versions necessary?

Just my personal opinions of course...

😎

Journeyman
    I would be more interested in a mechanical hand-winding movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
    I would be more interested in a mechanical hand-winding movement.
    Actually I like that, too. The Everest Expedition with a manual movement would be cool. In fact, I have wondered about retrofitting an old Smiths 27CS to one. Plenty of loose movements on ebay as gold cases are scrapped for cash. Pinion and stem height would be the issues, I guess. Cool though to have English Smiths movement in a stainless steel waterproof case with sapphire and working lume.

Take that, Loomes!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Actually I like that, too. The Everest Expedition with a manual movement would be cool. In fact, I have wondered about retrofitting an old Smiths 27CS to one. Plenty of loose movements on ebay as gold cases are scrapped for cash. Pinion and stem height would be the issues, I guess. Cool though to have English Smiths movement in a stainless steel waterproof case with sapphire and working lume.

Take that, Loomes!
    I second that, a mechanical hand wind movement in the Expedition would be really cool giving the piece an even more vintage vibe.....I have a manual wind on my Hamilton Khaki Field (H-50) and I just love the interaction you have with the watch when winding.

Also, I have no issues with a Quartz watch and a few pieces, my CWC G10 (w10) is fitted with an ETA quartz movement and it is the most accurate & reliable watch in my collection.

Actually I like that, too. The Everest Expedition with a manual movement would be cool.

It might be simpler to create a PRS-29a with the dial and hands of the Expedition. I did at some point consider such a combo but the current case of the Expedition is so sweet... why bother with the old (run of the mill) Smiths case shape.

Hand-wounds without screw-down crowns and expecting much water resistance don't go down well in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It might be simpler to create a PRS-29a with the dial and hands of the Expedition. I did at some point consider such a combo but the current case of the Expedition is so sweet... why bother with the old (run of the mill) Smiths case shape.

Hand-wounds without screw-down crowns and expecting much water resistance don't go down well in my book.
    Both Zeno (Army diver) and Glycine (Lagunare) made 300 metre divers without a screw down crown.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I will add my name to the list of people who would like to see a really well-done quartz from TF. I think a thinner Everest would be a good option, there might be others. I really like my CWC RN quartz and feel that it suits being quartz better than mechanical for some reason. There's something about it being a really solid, honest, mil-spec tool watch. I also have the Zeno version but CWC quality is noticeably better. I'm looking forward to the new PRS-3, but definitely think there's room for something a bit different as well.

Ironically, I've always quite liked the PRS-40 design, but when it was only available as quartz I was only interested in mechanical. Now that it's only available as an auto I'd rather have the quartz version! I'm sure I'll change my mind just in time for the current run to have sold out.

I would definitely like to see a better-than-average movement such as a Precidrive, but those are probably impossible to source. Solar or kinetic might be interesting too, but no idea if those can even be bought as an OEM at all. Solar would presumably complicate the dial as well. I've got a few solar watches currently and really appreciate the zero-hassle aspect. Citizen estimate their current eco-drive movements won't need servicing for something like 40+ years.

The Everest certainly has the advantage of being a very versatile design. Casual but a bit dressy. A quartz version would be a good wear-anywhere, do-anything, never-worry sort of a watch. The only downside if you want to use it for actual "adventuring" is the risk of a battery running out unexpectedly. Solar or kinetic would solve that problem if feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Both Zeno (Army diver) and Glycine (Lagunare) made 300 metre divers without a screw down crown.

Eddie
    Both of those are automatics, meaning that the crown will only be used infrequently. The watch proposed here is a hand-wound.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I will add my name to the list of people who would like to see a really well-done quartz from TF. I think a thinner Everest would be a good option, there might be others. I really like my CWC RN quartz and feel that it suits being quartz better than mechanical for some reason. There's something about it being a really solid, honest, mil-spec tool watch. I also have the Zeno version but CWC quality is noticeably better. I'm looking forward to the new PRS-3, but definitely think there's room for something a bit different as well.

Ironically, I've always quite liked the PRS-40 design, but when it was only available as quartz I was only interested in mechanical. Now that it's only available as an auto I'd rather have the quartz version! I'm sure I'll change my mind just in time for the current run to have sold out.

I would definitely like to see a better-than-average movement such as a Precidrive, but those are probably impossible to source. Solar or kinetic might be interesting too, but no idea if those can even be bought as an OEM at all. Solar would presumably complicate the dial as well. I've got a few solar watches currently and really appreciate the zero-hassle aspect. Citizen estimate their current eco-drive movements won't need servicing for something like 40+ years.

The Everest certainly has the advantage of being a very versatile design. Casual but a bit dressy. A quartz version would be a good wear-anywhere, do-anything, never-worry sort of a watch. The only downside if you want to use it for actual "adventuring" is the risk of a battery running out unexpectedly. Solar or kinetic would solve that problem if feasible.
    Precidrive movements are readily available. It's what was in the PRS18 COSC.

I agree with Robt's comments and would be getting a new PRS40 if the quartz variant were still available - which would be my third so quite in keeping with my MO.

I'd buy a quartz Everest with a high quality movement.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Yes please Eddie. Would buy a quartz Everest in a heat beat!

Master

ISA9500-1010 movement

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I'd buy a quartz ... with a high quality movement.
    I too would be keen on more interesting quartz movements in Eddie’s watches. (Though I’d prefer a watch diameter larger than 36mm.)

I love how my Smiths Seefire “ticks” four times a second, as if it was an automatic. I’d certainly buy another quartz watch with a sweeping second like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

I love how my Smiths Seefire “ticks” four times a second, as if it was an automatic. I’d certainly buy another quartz watch with a sweeping second like that.
    See if we can convince Mr Platts to make some type of Quasar with that movement. Perhaps something like a large Smiths MKXI.

Master
    I agree. A large Smiths Mk XI with an ISA9500-1010 movement would be terrific.

It’s such a cool movement and makes for a special quartz watch: Quartz movement that ticks 4 times per second.

Craftsman
    I've been thinking about this and I think I'd quite like ALL of Eddie's watches to made available with a quartz option.

Presumably the cost per unit (movement) would be cheaper but I would expect them to retail at the same price so that that bigger margins covered the cost of the hassle and expense of offering the alternative.

I like the idea of having a super accurate "grab and go" version of, say, the PRS-29 or the Everest Expedition. In the case of the latter it would also be lighter, too.

Yes, I love hairsprings and rubies and plates and pinions and gears but when the watch look that good I'l quite like a beater version, too!
    I agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, 100% agree with this!

Craftsman
    Okay.... Eddie, Quartz of everything please...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk