closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: help finding a nice WW2 allies watch reissue

Craftsman

help finding a nice WW2 allies watch reissue

I have an interest in military watches, no to the degree of some people here.
    Ive been looking for a reissue of an Allies watch from WW2, perhaps the A-11 or one of the dirty dozen.

On the german side, its easy to get a watch with some legacy for reasonable money, such as a stowa or a laco, but i cant see any very nice reissues of allies watches that are sub 1k, particularly from/by the original companies.

Id appreciate some advice in case im overlooking something.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking for an homage, this isn't a bad one..

https://timorwatch.com

Timor as above.

Also take a look at the MkII Cruxible

http://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/read...-non-date.html

From memory Bulova did some kind of homage to their WW2 watches several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 24th December 2019 at 16:45.

Check out the MkII Cruxible (I see billy Casper beat me to it)
    Both versions are modern reinterpretations of USAAF / USN pilots watches

The RAF also issued the A11 (which the watch is based on). It should be said that an original A11 can be had for less money than the MKII watches however they are 80 years old and can be quite fragile now.
    The up coming Timor is also looking fantastic as is on my list to purchase.
    Zeno also made a version of the UDT canteen divers watch in mechanical and quartz.
    Lastly Longines have made a few watches based on allied issued watches in recent years.

The only Japanese issued watch homage I know of is this one
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th December 2019 at 17:36.

Apprentice
    Good question and one I’ve been looking for an answer to recently. so glad I stumbled on this thread.

The only current reissue I could find is the most recent Longines Heritage Military based on the old Longines/Omega 6B/159 (it’s the one with the faux patina spots on the dial).

I’ll be interested to see what suggestions others come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Timefactors' white faced SMITHS PRS29 Air Ministry.

https://www.timefactors.com/prs29new.htm

I don't know too much about this one, but there will be many on the forum who are very familiar with it.

It's a homage to the 6B/159 RAF navigators' watches of WW2 and the 1950s (please correct me if I'm wrong): Movado, Ebel, LeCoultre, Omega, Longines

Craftsman
    Thanks all. That Timor looks the biz. If it's priced reasonably well it's defo one to try. I know it's just an enthusiast who purchased the name but it's still some tie to the original.

The Smiths are nice, but lack that link (abd a white 36mm everest is taunting me anyway).

The Longines with the fake age spotted dial does absolutely nothing for me, similar to reliced guitars.

The MkII is nice but it looks a bit modern for some reason, maybe it's the logo.

Apprentice
    I agree with you on the Timor, looks interesting.

I also know what you mean about the Longines. I’d seen the pics and videos and hated the fake patina. I happened to stumble on one in the flesh last week and tried it on, and sort of changed my mind.

IMO it’s got the charm of the originals and with with the naked eye the dots are much more subtle than they look in the high res macros shots...trouble is I know they’re there!!!I

I, too, think the Smith PRS-29 is a brilliant option

Craftsman
    The Eterna Heritage Military 1939 is a modern reissue of the pilot’s watch worn by the Czech Air Force. Eterna and Longines were contracted to supply them, and Longines reissued theirs recently too.

I have the PVD version and they can be obtained for considerably less than retail.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    The Eterna Heritage Military 1939 is a modern reissue of the pilot’s watch worn by the Czech Air Force. Eterna and Longines were contracted to supply them, and Longines reissued theirs recently too.

I have the PVD version and they can be obtained for considerably less than retail.
    I bought one of these recently, the stainless steel one. I paid about £500. Didn't love it though, mainly because it wore a bit large for my taste. I think the case is a bit bigger than the original. I offered it back to the forum at the price I paid but had no takers. Subsequently took it back for a refund

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a watch of this style it’s hard to beat the prs25.

https://www.timefactors.com/prs29new.htm

Bulova 96A219. It was a limited edition for the retailer Macys. I recently found one on eBay and I am very pleased with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Recht View Post

Bulova 96A219. It was a limited edition for the retailer Macys. I recently found one on eBay and I am very pleased with it.
    There's the "hack " aswell with a sub seconds dial . It may be Macy's only also .

OP - theres another longines offering without that aged patina , the heritage military 1938. Bit over budget though

Here's a link

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-military-1938

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Or buy a fleiger from Stowa at 36mm

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I bought one of these recently, the stainless steel one. I paid about £500. Didn't love it though, mainly because it wore a bit large for my taste. I think the case is a bit bigger than the original. I offered it back to the forum at the price I paid but had no takers. Subsequently took it back for a refund
    Yeah, it is larger than the original. I like it for its lack of weight - much lighter on than any sports-style watch or anything else in my collection.