closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51

Thread: eBay worry

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    2

    eBay worry

    I've had a vintage watch listed on eBay at a buy it now price for a couple of months now. There's also the option for the buyer to make an offer.

    Today I have received notification of sale. The buyer seems to have paid by PayPal and the balance is in my PayPal account.

    I just have a niggling doubt/gut feeling about whether I am about to be scammed. The UK based buyer only has 3 feedback, with just one of them recent. None of the feedbacks are watch related. He didn't make an offer, just paid the buy it now price. He didn't ask any questions about the watch which I find odd considering it is a vintage watch. I always ask quite a few questions when I'm buying one.

    I'm concerned that I might send the watch, the buyer then says that there was no watch in the package or it was damaged, then PayPal refunds the cash. Or something else.

    On the other hand it may be genuine and I'd want to get the watch to him safely asap.

    Any tips to ensure a smooth transaction or is it just fingers crossed time?

  2. #2
    Understandable. Iíd make contact with the buyer and you can generally flush out an obvious scammer that way. Clearly
    Some will just come across as perfectly legitimate and still steal from you, iím Afraid thatís the risk with eBay

    Iíve bought a watch from eBay for more than £3k before so genuine buyers are out there lol! Like I say, get in touch and see what happens. Always trust your gut instinct.

  3. #3
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    10,458
    Just contact the buyer to discuss when to post over the festive season etc and see how the response is. Only send to the registered Paypal address - no exceptions.

  4. #4
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Just contact the buyer to discuss when to post over the festive season etc and see how the response is. Only send to the registered Paypal address - no exceptions.
    The main point is as stated here, only send it to the registered address, if none shows up in the payment information donít send it and donít let the buyer collect, if you do that he can pull his funds back on the basis that he never received the watch. paypal is fine as long as you read the small print and apply by the rules. One other thing, now if I sell on ebay I video the watch being packaged up, its a pain but its pretty good evidence should the claim of an empty box etc be made.
    Keith

  5. #5
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,506
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    The main point is as stated here, only send it to the registered address, if none shows up in the payment information donít send it and donít let the buyer collect, if you do that he can pull his funds back on the basis that he never received the watch. paypal is fine as long as you read the small print and apply by the rules. One other thing, now if I sell on ebay I video the watch being packaged up, its a pain but its pretty good evidence should the claim of an empty box etc be made.
    Keith
    I can't see how videoing the packaging is any evidence at all? Unless you then video yourself immediately afterwards, and with no discernible pause in the recording, taking the box down to the PO, and video any dialogue with the person behind the counter and then video the package being weighed, and the receipt being handed over, then arrange for a live stream video of the box on its journey to the buyer's door?

    A bit OTT but you get my point. You video the packaging then stop the video. Then unpack it all and send an empty box.

  6. #6
    Craftsman petay993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    282
    Paying full price when best offer available on a piece listed for a while - Red Flag

    3 Feedback - Red Flag

    No questions on a vintage piece - Red Flag.

    You are right to be nervous. You could send the purchaser your mobile number by eBay DM and invite contact.

    I always dread my eBay watches selling to this kind of profile of buyer, in future you may consider excluding certain buyers particularly those with limited history/feedback.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Essex uk
    Posts
    371
    I can see your point but it maybe perfectly ok !

    After talking to a few traders recently, the new thing seems to be robbing bits from inside the watch then sending back for a refund ! I would be more worried about this .

    Take photos of inside, movement numbers ect ,caseback ref no and condition ( any gouge marks , emblem ect ) . Unfortunately there is not much you can do ,apart from as many photos as poss to try and protect yourself !

  8. #8
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    8,254
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Paying full price when best offer available on a piece listed for a while - Red Flag

    3 Feedback - Red Flag

    No questions on a vintage piece - Red Flag.

    You are right to be nervous. You could send the purchaser your mobile number by eBay DM and invite contact.

    I always dread my eBay watches selling to this kind of profile of buyer, in future you may consider excluding certain buyers particularly those with limited history/feedback.
    ^^^^^This

    Cancel listing, refund buyer and state problem with watch would be my advice.

  9. #9
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UP North.
    Posts
    10,832
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've had a vintage watch listed on eBay at a buy it now price for a couple of months now. There's also the option for the buyer to make an offer.

    Today I have received notification of sale. The buyer seems to have paid by PayPal and the balance is in my PayPal account.

    I just have a niggling doubt/gut feeling about whether I am about to be scammed. The UK based buyer only has 3 feedback, with just one of them recent. None of the feedbacks are watch related. He didn't make an offer, just paid the buy it now price. He didn't ask any questions about the watch which I find odd considering it is a vintage watch. I always ask quite a few questions when I'm buying one.

    I'm concerned that I might send the watch, the buyer then says that there was no watch in the package or it was damaged, then PayPal refunds the cash. Or something else.

    On the other hand it may be genuine and I'd want to get the watch to him safely asap.

    Any tips to ensure a smooth transaction or is it just fingers crossed time?
    I bought an Omega 2254 off eBay (all ok),but I'd never sell any of my watches on there for the reasons you mention,and having read about same.


  10. #10
    Craftsman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    479
    A lot of people (me included) buy stuff on ebay when they've had a skinf...er..."one-or-two-light-ales", which may explain this "buyer" lacking circumspection, however the other red flags have me seconding the refund-and-relist suggestions above.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    371
    I had exactly the same scenario and in the end I cancelled the auction. If the sale is more than a few hundred quid, I want cash or bank wire without exception. Trouble is, eBay forces you to accept PayPal as an option and scammers are ready to use it to their advantage. Definitely do not let them pick it up, only post to an address stated on the ebay details

  12. #12
    Only accept Paypal on an item that has a value that you are prepared to lose if the transaction goes awry..
    If i sell valuable goods on ebay i insist on an online bank transfer.
    Any messages with the potential purchaser will soon establish whether he is genuine - and indeed he will get a handle on whether you are,too (more so as the seller holds all the cards in this scenario - both the item for sale and the money when the transfer takes place. Good feedback helps here).
    Yes, ebay insist you can only list an item for sale and offer PP but make it clear in the description that you will not accept.
    I cancelled a deal earlier this year as the buyer payed by PP even though i stated in messages on at least three occasions not to...

  13. #13
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,506
    I wouldnít buy from anyone on eBay who insisted on BT only.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    2,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    The answer is always the same, phone ebay tell them of your concerns if they say post it you are covered.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,136
    I sold my bass guitar on eBay with an offers option. To my surprise I got a full offer. The guy turned up at my house a few days later to collect and admitted he wanted it, but was a pissed and accidentally hit buy it now. As he was a good egg completed! So does happen. And Iíve bought loads of crap off eBay after a bottle of wine or two as well....just follow the process correctly youíll be covered.

  16. #16
    I think I never asked a question about item on ebay. If I like something I do my research (or not) and just buy.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Paying full price when best offer available on a piece listed for a while - Red Flag

    3 Feedback - Red Flag

    No questions on a vintage piece - Red Flag.
    With all these warnings I'd just refund and say the watch was lost ...

    eBay gives sellers no recourse to scammer buyers and 3 feedback says it all ... refund and walk away.

  18. #18
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    20
    When you post thereís an option to include the postage tracking number that and covers you. Did you state no returns on your listing?

    If it is a scam Iím not sure how they would retract the PayPal payment once itís in. Definitely worth a call to eBay customer services.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #19
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    One other thing, now if I sell on ebay I video the watch being packaged up, its a pain but its pretty good evidence should the claim of an empty box etc be made.
    As already mentioned, this doesn't really prove anything (and would not be considered by by eBay or PayPal when adjudicating an INR or SNAD dispute).

    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    You could send the purchaser your mobile number by eBay DM and invite contact.
    That will probably get you a strike on your eBay account (they see it as evidence of an intention to deal outside of eBay).

    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The answer is always the same, phone ebay tell them of your concerns if they say post it you are covered.
    There are lots of comments on the eBay forums that you cannot take anything that an eBay rep tells you as being correct - especially if it's not the Dublin call centre. Quite often they either won't understand the question, or will tell you whatever you want to hear so that they can end the call.

  20. #20
    Master IAmATeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieG View Post
    When you post thereís an option to include the postage tracking number that and covers you. Did you state no returns on your listing?

    If it is a scam Iím not sure how they would retract the PayPal payment once itís in. Definitely worth a call to eBay customer services.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    There are a myriad of ways that a seller can lodge a claim and get a refund. Item not as described, arrived with damage, fake etc. It then unfortunately falls on the seller to try and disprove the claims to eBay who most times donít listen and side with the buyer.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,589
    eBay always side with the buyer, any sniff a buyer is iffy walk away.

    I never sell anything of value on eBay. Too much bias towards the buyer.

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    297
    If it feels too good to be true, then it probably is. Iíve had similar experiences (but didnít proceed with the sale).

    For me itís simple, Iíll post/hand over the watch only if the cash is already in my bank account.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Blackwood, United Kingdom
    Posts
    541
    Message the buyer, thank him for his prompt payment, then ask if it will be okay to send in the new year because of Christmas postage issues. Depending on his answer you will hopefully get at least some sort of idea what sort of person you are dealing with. This will of course be gut instinct only, but at least if he is particularly rude or curt you can happily cancel the sale, refund him, and list it again in the future.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    If it feels too good to be true, then it probably is. Iíve had similar experiences (but didnít proceed with the sale).

    For me itís simple, Iíll post/hand over the watch only if the cash is already in my bank account.
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking of contacting the buyer & seeing what kind of response I get. Just need to think of the question.

    On the point highlighted above; I'm presuming that I can withdraw the cash from my PayPal account & send it to my current account. I haven't done this yet because there's the option to "refund seller" on the transaction at the moment. If my PayPal account has no cash in it, can PayPal take funds from the current account or cards associated with the account without my permission?

  25. #25
    Master IAmATeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    4,169
    Theyíll leave your account in the negative and chase you if there no funds in your account.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking of contacting the buyer & seeing what kind of response I get. Just need to think of the question.

    On the point highlighted above; I'm presuming that I can withdraw the cash from my PayPal account & send it to my current account. I haven't done this yet because there's the option to "refund seller" on the transaction at the moment. If my PayPal account has no cash in it, can PayPal take funds from the current account or cards associated with the account without my permission?
    Depends on how you have your PP account set up. Mine is linked to my VISA card so my PP balance is always zero so when I buy things it just comes off the card.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Essex uk
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Depends on how you have your PP account set up. Mine is linked to my VISA card so my PP balance is always zero so when I buy things it just comes off the card.
    This, for me as well . So I assume they can just do a charge back on your current account !

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    85
    If the buyer didnít ask a question, either they know enough already, or theyíre a scammer. Iíve bought a couple of watches there and not needed to ask any questions. Was the purchase price lower than equivalent pieces, I.e. would a buyer consider themselves getting a bargain? Iíd be unlikely to get in touch before purchase if I thought I was getting a good deal that the seller might renege on.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    West Sussex, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking of contacting the buyer & seeing what kind of response I get. Just need to think of the question.

    On the point highlighted above; I'm presuming that I can withdraw the cash from my PayPal account & send it to my current account. I haven't done this yet because there's the option to "refund seller" on the transaction at the moment. If my PayPal account has no cash in it, can PayPal take funds from the current account or cards associated with the account without my permission?
    They will have permission to take from your bank account as it is in their terms and conditions (which I am sure you will have read...!!??)

  30. #30
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,506
    What watch is it that you think you're getting scammed on?

    I would have been in touch by now to ask him/her to confirm the delivery address and explain that, what with Christmas and everything, I wouldn't be able to post until January 2nd. See what they say then. If I got no response, I'd cancel the sale.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What watch is it that you think you're getting scammed on?

    I would have been in touch by now to ask him/her to confirm the delivery address and explain that, what with Christmas and everything, I wouldn't be able to post until January 2nd. See what they say then. If I got no response, I'd cancel the sale.
    I've done exactly that, I said I was away for Christmas. I am awaiting a reply.

    It's a 1960's vintage Zodiac Sea Wolf.

  32. #32
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    They will have permission to take from your bank account as it is in their terms and conditions (which I am sure you will have read...!!??)
    Indeed. And if there's no money in the account, they'll pass it on to their Debt Collection agency.

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,193
    I had a Similar scenario in the past.
    All worked out fine


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    If it feels too good to be true, then it probably is. Iíve had similar experiences (but didnít proceed with the sale).

    For me itís simple, Iíll post/hand over the watch only if the cash is already in my bank account.




    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  35. #35
    I am not sure why it would be a red flag if he chose buy it now rather than make an offer, perhaps he just saw your price as fair likewise he didnít ask any questions. If he knows his stuff and your description is good what more does he need to ask? Could it just be he thought ďPrice is good why bother messing about?Ē And just pressed buy.

    Just about the only red flag is the low feedback but how long has he been on eBay? Seems a large leap to conclusions.

    Just e-mail him and talk to him, if he comes across wrong just cancel.

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    542
    With high value items I tend make them Ďcollectioní and then get paid on inspection/pick up, both parties happy.

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    With high value items I tend make them Ďcollectioní and then get paid on inspection/pick up, both parties happy.
    This ☝️

    There is no protection for the buyer when it comes to collect in person items.

    eBay or PayPal will not help at all if things go wrong for the seller and alway side with the buyer. Find out the postal address, message the buyer and say you happen to be in the area and can drop off face to face. They will come up with some rubbish reason why they canít do a face to face and you will know itís a scam.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    With high value items I tend make them Ďcollectioní and then get paid on inspection/pick up, both parties happy.
    Never thought of this - will be sure to consider if I sell on EBay. Cheers

  39. #39
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,506
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've done exactly that, I said I was away for Christmas. I am awaiting a reply.

    It's a 1960's vintage Zodiac Sea Wolf.
    Nice watch, and the buyer probably thinks so too and just didn't want to faff about with Best Offer.

    I would wait for a response though as this can tell you a lot. Good luck.

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I am not sure why it would be a red flag if he chose buy it now rather than make an offer, perhaps he just saw your price as fair likewise he didnít ask any questions. If he knows his stuff and your description is good what more does he need to ask? Could it just be he thought ďPrice is good why bother messing about?Ē And just pressed buy.

    Just about the only red flag is the low feedback but how long has he been on eBay? Seems a large leap to conclusions.

    Just e-mail him and talk to him, if he comes across wrong just cancel.
    It also depends on how much he wants the item. In the process between submitting an offer, and waiting for the sellers response, someone else can just walk in and click buy it now. I've occasionally used buy it now because I didn't want to take the risk of missing out. In fact just the other day the opposit happened, in that I placed an offer, seller made counter offer which I was very happy with, but when I went to accept, someone stuck a bid in, and the offer is automatically destroyed at that point.

  41. #41
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    There is no protection for the buyer when it comes to collect in person items.
    Do you mean the buyer, or are you confusing with the seller? (And, of course, the lack of seller protection for collected items only applies if the buyer has paid using PayPal. If the buyer pays using cash, bank transfer, or even PayPal Gift, the seller is protected).

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I can't see how videoing the packaging is any evidence at all? Unless you then video yourself immediately afterwards, and with no discernible pause in the recording, taking the box down to the PO, and video any dialogue with the person behind the counter and then video the package being weighed, and the receipt being handed over, then arrange for a live stream video of the box on its journey to the buyer's door?

    A bit OTT but you get my point. You video the packaging then stop the video. Then unpack it all and send an empty box.
    Pretty much what I did, except without the live stream. Asked the post office clerk if they objected to the transaction being filmed and they said no. I then filmed at counter a close up of the watch before putting it inside the packaging, wrapping it up, being weighed and handed over the counter. Paid and filmed close up of the receipt. 2 mins continuous video max. Not much effort when sending a watch worth ££££ in the post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Nice watch, and the buyer probably thinks so too and just didn't want to faff about with Best Offer.

    I would wait for a response though as this can tell you a lot. Good luck.
    Thanks. No response from the buyer so far. I've just sent another message asking him to confirm shipping address. Something that requires a definite response

  44. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    143
    An useful thread.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    An useful thread.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Shame your input to the forum isnít as useful

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Thanks. No response from the buyer so far. I've just sent another message asking him to confirm shipping address. Something that requires a definite response
    I received a reply but it came from a different eBay ID to the buyer's one. Also the original address had the name Justin in the id & the one that replied to my message had Robert in it. A follow up message to the new eBay id asking why he didn't reply using the original eBay id drew no response. All this was one red flag too many so I cancelled the order & refunded the guy.

    I ran it past the eBay concierge service who were extremely helpful. The person that I was talking to couldn't explain why I would receive a reply from a different user name but she said that she would speak to another department & call me back within an hour. This she did & pretty much advised me to cancel the sale.

    Pretty happy that I've still got the watch & think I'll hang on to it for a bit longer.

  47. #47
    Journeyman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    88

    eBay worry

    Very odd indeed. You did exactly the right thing in cancelling.

    Best of luck in selling it in the future successfully and safely.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Very odd indeed. You did exactly the right thing in cancelling.

    Best of luck in selling it in the future successfully and safely.
    My thoughts exactly, basically the buyer can complain about anything and the money will be held by paypal, in the end ebay will come down on the side of the buyer I try to video things I sell, showing it working, condition etc but even that is no guarantee you are safe.

  49. #49
    Journeyman SteveM112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've had a vintage watch listed on eBay at a buy it now price for a couple of months now. There's also the option for the buyer to make an offer.

    Today I have received notification of sale. The buyer seems to have paid by PayPal and the balance is in my PayPal account.

    I just have a niggling doubt/gut feeling about whether I am about to be scammed. The UK based buyer only has 3 feedback, with just one of them recent. None of the feedbacks are watch related. He didn't make an offer, just paid the buy it now price. He didn't ask any questions about the watch which I find odd considering it is a vintage watch. I always ask quite a few questions when I'm buying one.

    I'm concerned that I might send the watch, the buyer then says that there was no watch in the package or it was damaged, then PayPal refunds the cash. Or something else.

    On the other hand it may be genuine and I'd want to get the watch to him safely asap.

    Any tips to ensure a smooth transaction or is it just fingers crossed time?

    Your listed concerns are part and parcel of any deal on Ebay....itís how it works
    Personally any item I cannot afford to lose I list as cash on collection only but this greatly reduces your buyers.
    There are just too many Scammers in Ebay buyers and sellers
    If a user says they received an empty box there is No proof whatsoever who is telling the truth
    Video evidence photos etc are worthless as a scammer can remove the item at anytime.
    And remember in most cases Ebay will almost always find in favour of the buyer.
    Just follow the simple rules and hope
    and donít forget the buyer has an option of returning the item for any reason whatsoever and getting a full refund with you paying the postage for 180 days.

    The Joys of dealing on Ebay..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking of contacting the buyer & seeing what kind of response I get. Just need to think of the question.

    On the point highlighted above; I'm presuming that I can withdraw the cash from my PayPal account & send it to my current account. I haven't done this yet because there's the option to "refund seller" on the transaction at the moment. If my PayPal account has no cash in it, can PayPal take funds from the current account or cards associated with the account without my permission?

    This happened to me once. I sold a vintage watch on eBay, only for about £50. After taking pics of the movement, I stupidly forgot to put the plastic ring bit back in to hold the movement steady. When the buyer received, the dial was wobbly and he quite rightly hit the returns option on the deal.

    At that point Iíd moved the money from my paypal account to my current account, so my paypal was empty. Before Iíd refunded the buyer, I went to buy a £5 item from eBay using paypal, but noticed when paying I was about to be charged £55. Thatís one way eBay can extract money from you if a buyer wants a refund - by putting your PP account into debt and forcing you to pay it if you want to use your PP again.

    For me it wasnít an issue, Iíd made an honest mistake and happily refunded the buyer who was very good about it. But the point is even if youíre being scammed eBay will still protect the buyer and find ways of extracting a refund from you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information