closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Witcher - Tv Series

The Witcher - Tv Series

The Witcher came out on Netflix last weekend and it is very good. Loved the game and the show has lived up to my expectations. The show follows the last Witcher game: Wild Hunt and the books - which I have not read. Without playing the game it is still watchable but playing has helped to follow the story. I do not know how closely the show follows the books.

My biggest concern was Henry Cavill being cast as Geralt but he actually plays the role very well, he really is outstanding as Geralt. Yennefer is also very well cast and acted. Only on episode 6 so far but looking forward to the rest of the series. I believe Netlix has already started production of a 2nd series. The show is very well done, fights scenes are well shot and it is very well written. It does jump about a bit into different time lines which could be hard to follow if you have no knowledge of the story. But overall if you like fantasy / action it is really worth a watch.

Only watched 2 episodes and am quite enjoying it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Watched two episodes, enjoying it so far.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched three episodes ,a good watch so far.

Having read all the books and played the Witcher 3 game, it is an almost exact adaptation of the books. In the first 4 episodes (which is what I’ve watched so far) the Geralt timeline comes from the first 2 books of shorts stories and the Ciri timeline comes from the first of the main 5 books. The main takeaway from the game is the way Geralt is portrayed. The voicing is very similar.

I like that they don’t explain the Witcher magic Geralt uses. I also like that they don’t explain that there are different timelines on the screen. It only becomes clear in the 4th episode that this is the case. It really is a superb adaptation so far.

Watched it all, took a while to grasp what the hell was going on with regards to the timelines, get rid of that bloke who sings in it and the second series should be much better...

Grand Master
    Watched it and enjoyed it, seems to be a winning formula and filling a void that a few shows ending have left, hopefully season 2 is up and running fast as i dare say the amount of CGI and so on means it'll be 18 months until it's back on.

Not for me, gave up after half an hour. Poor acting and too much leather for me. After GOT all these fantasy type programmes have a hell of a lot to
    step up too...unfortunately that's the bench mark now.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Not for me, gave up after half an hour. Poor acting and too much leather for me. After GOT all these fantasy type programmes have a hell of a lot to
    step up too...unfortunately that's the bench mark now.
    The Witcher is a much better adaptation of the books than GoT was.

Interesting I've neither encountered the books nor the game but I thought it'd be right up my strasse being a fan of most things swords and sorcery but I found the first episode really badly acted, written and sub par, does it improve after ep 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Interesting I've neither encountered the books nor the game but I thought it'd be right up my strasse being a fan of most things swords and sorcery but I found the first episode really badly acted, written and sub par, does it improve after ep 1...
    It’s not clear that there are multiple timelines in the first couple of episodes. I think it’s easier to follow if you know that. I’ve read all the books and am really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It’s not clear that there are multiple timelines in the first couple of episodes. I think it’s easier to follow if you know that. I’ve read all the books and am really enjoying it.
    Cheers Phil, I'll stick with it as I do 'want' to like it.

Enjoying it as switch off tv at the minute.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Cheers Phil, I'll stick with it as I do 'want' to like it.
    I would stick with it, episode 4 was really good.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Will do Jason.

Master
    Ive been enjoying it so far. Although it seems like the voice of Geralt is almost added after, maybe just my TV but seemed different to the other actors.

Just finished it, like GOT it is far too short. 8 Episodes was no were near enough, the story has just started to come together and it ends :-(. Most American series are a good 20 + episodes. Reading online the next series is set for 2021!! that is a long wait for a new series. Hopefully with the popularity of the series they will speed up production.

Master
    Watched the first one, no more for me. Story was absent, characters were negligible and it was altogether uninteresting. There’s so much of the sword swinging nonsense about these days that this doesn’t stand out from the crowd at all.

I’m sure it makes a great video game however.

Master
    Watched five so far got another three for later.
    Definitely one to watch, very good so far.

I thought the casting was a strange choice, but a few episodes in and it actually works really well for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Enjoying it so far... even the missus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's boobies.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Watched the first one, no more for me. Story was absent, characters were negligible and it was altogether uninteresting. There’s so much of the sword swinging nonsense about these days that this doesn’t stand out from the crowd at all.

I’m sure it makes a great video game however.
    This. It just seems half arsed and average. Could've been alot more but missed the boat set by GOT

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Episode 6 was an excellent adaptation of one of the short stories. I’m enjoying the monster of the week with Geralt from the early books alongside the Ciri story from the later ones.

Master
    Just watched 3rd episode which was very good. Takes a while to get to grips with it but worth watching.

Apprentice

It is alright!

I have just watched 1 episode seems okay. Nothing special. Let's see how it goes.

The final two episodes were great. They take you up to the start of the main boom sequence which I assume will make up subsequent series.

I thought that this was going to be about the new Nordic Noir on BBC Four but the comments lead me to believe that I may have got my wires crossed

Master
    Just finished watching it - enjoyed it (I think..). If I had not read a bit of an explanation in the Guardian though, I would have been more than a little confused.

I really enjoyed this - it still felt like playing the game though (except being a spectator, watching someone else play) - Henry Cavill made a great Geralt in my opinion. Overall definitely worth a watch - you could pick much worse...

Current: GMT Master II (LN), Submariner (LV), Explorer II Polar, SMP 300, SD43

It was OK. I'd say 6 or 7/10
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

its watchable, theres boobies, even though Henry Cavill sounds like duke-nukem all the time the mrs likes him (and met him once) so win win

I'm quite enjoying it.

Got to say IMO Cavill should be the next James Bond.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I'm quite enjoying it.

Got to say IMO Cavill should be the next James Bond.
    I was thinking that too whilst watching this.

Enjoyed the game and the middle episodes gave a nod to it what seemed to be a quest per episode whilst still developing the overall arc. Difficult to portray such a rich world in the time they had but I think they've done an excellent job of setting up season 2.

Journeyman
    Struggled with the first 2/3 episodes but then got into it and would agree nicely poised for S2!

Craftsman
    I finished it last night and really thought it was fantastic. Not knowing about the multiple timelines from the outset actually added to the experience, this was a great twist after the first few episodes. I went into the series cold, never read the books or played the game. The storyline to me seems rich and I quickly felt it would develop slowly over the course of the 8 episodes and was perfectly happy to let it do so.

There are certainly some confusing moments but all eventually becomes clear. I am not at all a fan of Cavill, I see him as something of a charisma vacuum (dreadful as Superman) and I'm shocked to see him mentioned in the same breath as 007! However in this his wooden acting and muscularity are perfectly suited to the role and I enjoyed his performance, with even some humour!

The best episode is the introduction of dragons, nicely done.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Not really being a fan of fantasy and never having even heard of this before, I was pleasantly surprised - not amazing, but entertaining and well made (especially the costumes, staging, choreography, effects etc.).

Similarly, I thought Cavill was a bit of a revelation - not as dull or wooden as anticipated, and absolutely perfect for the role (I believe he's a fan of the source material, which may have helped a little).

The first few episodes were a little confusing, and character names not especially accessible, but once I stopped worrying too much about the details and just went with the flow it was enjoyable.

Craftsman
    I've been watching it (on Ep 5 now) and have enjoyed it so far. I think Cavill has been excellent, especially if one has played the games.

Journeyman
    I've not played the video game or read the books but enjoyed it for what it was.

Had to give Sabrina a cheeky follow on Instagram too.

I'm pretty sure there's an interview with Cavil where he says he auditioned for Bond and completely blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's an interview with Cavil where he says he auditioned for Bond and completely blew it.
    Probably not the same one, but here's a few extracts of an interview from ‘The Times’, on 20th December last year:

Now he’s starring as Geralt in The Witcher, a Netflix fantasy epic. Geralt is a mutated monster hunter who looks a bit like a vengeful Michael Bolton with the mother of all hangovers.

“I think the audience for the fantasy genre is building,” Cavill says. “Lord of the Rings opened the door and Game of Thrones showed you another room within the house. The Witcher is another room in that same house. It’s not the new Game of Thrones. There is no new Game of Thrones; that’s like someone saying he’s the new Tom Cruise. There isn’t another Tom Cruise out there. Game of Thrones was absolutely fantastic and I think The Witcher is going to be something entirely unique and different.”

He loved gaming as a child, and particularly loved a role-playing game called The Witcher, which he played through two and a half times, “which is quite a few hours of playing — hundreds of hours. Then I heard Netflix were making it into a TV show and this is absolutely the world I live in. This job is the dream come true."

After The Count of Monte Cristo he didn’t bother going back to finish his A levels at Stowe, the boarding school in Buckinghamshire where he’d spent four miserable, homesick years. He was badly bullied and says that for two years he wept down the phone to his mother every day. Overweight, he was nicknamed Fat Cavill, but discovered that nobody laughed at him or bullied him when he acted in school productions.

He found himself losing out twice to Robert Pattinson, for parts in the Harry Potter films and Twilight, and to Daniel Craig for James Bond, when he was 22.

Every article about Cavill refers to how the director who screen-tested him told him he was chubby.

“That’s not true,” Cavill says before explaining in considerable detail that it evidently is. “What I said was that Martin Campbell, the director, said, ‘Looking a little chubby there, Henry!’ That wasn’t why I didn’t get Bond. I didn’t get Bond because Daniel was the better guy for the role and he did an absolutely fantastic job. What Martin was doing was making sure that if I did get the role, I was going to have to physically prep harder. That was him being very kind to me. Not being insulting. Not being unpleasant.”

It’s not entirely clear whether Cavill, for all his success, is particularly happy. He comes across as hunted and wary, training relentlessly in the gym and beating himself up if he doesn’t look a certain way. “I’m very strict with myself. If I look at myself in the mirror and think I can do better, then I’m not at peace. There’s always a lot of discipline required to achieve these things.”

His hobby is still gaming, and reading fantasy and sci-fi books, but he spends most of his life on the road. He looks vaguely mystified at the idea of letting his hair down over Christmas, and he lives the regimented diet and lifestyle of the professionally buff. “I get at least one cheat meal a week when I’m being very, very strict,” he insists, “and when I’m not being very, very strict, one every three to five days. So I’m not not enjoying myself. It’s just that I’m not enjoying myself all the time.”

I've read all books and played all games. Too scared to see the movie (I don't want to ruin my imagination) :)

Check those books when they will be available in English:
    https://instytutksiazki.pl/en/news,2...lish,2071.html

I only can whisper, that the story is even better than The Wither :) :)