closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arrives on Monday

Arrives on Monday

Can you ID this golden oldie from the film era?

Photo courtesy of the dealer

dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

Canon FD 800mm ?

Yes Bob … FD 800mm L. Lens will easily adapt to any mirrorless camera and I have an original Canon FD to EOS converter/adapter which is also a 1.26x extender … http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._adapters.html

Thus on a Canon APS-C SLR camera (1.6x crop factor) the FD 800mm equates to 800 x 1.6 x 1.26 =1613mm

Some of the 'action' in parts of two nature reserves near Peterborough is too far away from the hides to obtain decent photos and my existing Novoflex and Leitz 'long focus' (telescope) lenses are physically too long for comfortable use in the hides. The FD 800mm L telephoto design is shorter than the Novoflex/ Leitz lenses and its focus ergonomics are better.

The lens will likely also couple up to Canon EF extenders via the original FD to EOS adapter but remains too be seen if the combinations will provide usable images with all the extra glass added … a bit like using coupled EF extenders on an EF lens

The original FD 1.4x extender is pretty good so hopefully will image OK with my Sony A7SII … 800 x 1.4 = 1120mm … and the Sony has IBIS.

The lens was listed on Friday morning by Ffordes https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-027...800mm-f56-fd-l … very scarce lens and seldom offered by UK dealers

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 14:44. Reason: typo
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

I look forward to seeing some results from this lens Dunk. I maxed out my 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII with a Canon 2x TC on my 1D MkIII recently and was pleased with what I got, albeit in good light and supported . . .

I also grabbed a shot at home through double glazing with the same lens on my 7D and was very surprised at the result, @ 30m away and cropped . . .

Last edited by magirus; 22nd December 2019 at 20:26.

You obviously have a window cleaner as well as an outside loo, Bob.

Dunc, that's a beast of a lens/set-up. Looking forward to seeing some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I look forward to seeing some results from this lens Dunk. I maxed out my 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII with a Canon 2x TC on my 1D MkIII recently and was pleased with what I got, albeit in good light and supported . . .

I also grabbed a shot at home through double glazing with the same lens on my 7D and was very surprised at the result, @ 30m away and cropped . . .
    That's a super lens Bob and excellent images … well worth using with extenders.

You may recall I had a Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt R (telescope long focus - not telephoto) … superb lens but far too heavy and bulky to transport easily thus sold … but I miss its versatility and good results. Almost impossible to use it in one of the reserve's hides as could only be set up in front of the entrance door.

As with all ultra-long focal lengths the atmospherics need to be excellent for optimum results.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 21:50.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You obviously have a window cleaner as well as an outside loo, Bob.

Dunc, that's a beast of a lens/set-up. Looking forward to seeing some shots.
    The lens could be 30 years old Tony so 'fingers crossed' it's still in collimation and capable of good results. Being manual focus it was not expensive … I do not mind using manual focus. No way could I ever afford a Canon AF 800mm FF lens costing c.£12K

By way of comparison it'll be used at the same time as a Nikon 1 70-300mm AF on a Nikon 1 J5 … which with its 1" sensor has max. FF equivalent 810mm focal length … but cannot be used with extenders.

In theory the FD 800mm can be used via an adapter with the Nikon J5 as a 2.7x 800mm i.e. 2160mm … but would require very solid supports.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 21:54.

Lens arrived and tried it on distant rooftops and TV aerials … very sharp images and optics are pristine. The focusing mechanism requires attention as the rack and pinion's clutch friction lever is loose … not surprising considering the lens' age … but effected a temporary fix using rubber bands. Very lucky to spot the lens and be first in the queue as several other customers made enquiries after it was flagged up 'no longer available' … after I'd paid for it. The original Canon aluminium case is very heavy but the lens fits my Manfrotto 80cm padded tripod case which has a shoulder strap and carry handles. Today I ordered another s/h padded Manfrotto tripod case from Ffordes but 90cm with internal pockets … so should be able to carry a tripod and gimbal on one shoulder and lens on the other shoulder. Will keep me fit as Kings Dyke Nature Reserve Whittlesey near Peterborough has a long and steep incline (approx 200m) to access the main hide … easy going down … but requires several stops on the way up due to its steepness. Unfortunately this week's weather forecast is poor but I may venture out with the lens if there is any chance of a few bright spells. Checking the lens' date of manufacture code inscribed on the rear mount, A202 equates to 1986 y.o.m. … thus almost 34 years young. If seeking a quality manual focus long lens for use with a mirrorless camera it's worth checking Ffordes lists regularly … I check daily and last year saw a Canon FD 500/4.5 at a knock down price which was immediately snapped up by a friend after passing on the 'heads-up' - and who now prefers it when used on his Sony A7 to his EF 100-400mm / 5D Mk III combination. I also have an FD 500/4.5 but it was almost ruined by a well known lens technician who advertises FD to EF lens mount conversions … took over 9 months and two transits back and forth to Scotland before the lens was finally returned … and it's still not right because the tripod ring click stops are still out of synch … thus only usable between click stops when mounted on a gimbal. Lesson learnt.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 24th December 2019 at 02:31. Reason: additional info.

Master
    Surrey, UK. Odiαxere or somewhere in-between
    Blog Entries
    Would like to hear how you get on. I guess you’ll need a spotter scope to get your subject in the field of view - must be v tight at that magnification. Good luck and looking forward to results.

Martyn.

First time use of Canon FD 800/5.6 L lens at Kings Dyke Nature Reserve, Whittlesey in late afternoon Sun where photographed pair of mallards mating and a female Reed Bunting. The mallards on the mere were approx 60m from the hide and Reed Bunting was approx 15m. Mallard 'action' was over within less than 30 seconds.

Leica SL 601 FF camera used but the lens pic in the hide shows Leica T compact.

Lens' ergonomics a 'learning exercise' thus manual focusing (pic 5) not spot-on. Next trip will try the FD 1.4x extender and the original Canon FD to EF converter. And will require extension tubes to photograph the birds which congregate around the feeders adjacent to the hide … will experiment next trip

No IBIS on the SL 601. Optimum composition / focusing requires adjustment of gimbal X-Y friction - and the lens' rack and pinion friction control - thus preventing jitter when moving / focusing the combination.

Camera and lens is balanced at C.O.G. by means of an Arca plate sliding in the Jobu gimbal's saddle.

Best wishes

dunk

]

Last edited by sundial; 27th December 2019 at 19:14.

Lens can be carried in a padded tripod bag on my shoulder. The Billingham bag and Berlebach tripod / gimbal are carried on the Eckla trolley seat. The whole apparatus disassembles and fits in my car's hatchback with room to spare.

Apparatus photo taken with Leica C Type 112 … a badge engineered Panasonic LF-1 compact which fits in my shirt pocket

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd January 2020 at 15:16.

I believe the technical term for this type of lens is "beast"! ;-) Decent first results, should keep you fit as well heaving it about.

Needs extension tubes Bob for small birds as close focus capability is limited

dunk

It'll be interesting to see how close you can focus with tube/s fitted.

FD tubes have gone AWOL … hope to find before Friday (next sunny day forecast) Above Reed Bunting image is a heavy crop.

dunk

I foresee many, many enjoyable hours ahead with this set-up, dunk.

Enjoy.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I foresee many, many enjoyable hours ahead with this set-up, dunk.

Enjoy.

R
    Thank you Ralphy … Several projects already lined up especially Red Kites with carrion

dunk

Looks a very interesting set up, Dunk!!

And I love the whole set: the chair, etc. Must copy that when I have more spare time!!

Craftsman
    Very nice, I would love that.

I always see Red Kite birds where I live but they tend to fly quite high so you need a beast lens.

Quote Originally Posted by angeche View Post
    Looks a very interesting set up, Dunk!!

And I love the whole set: the chair, etc. Must copy that when I have more spare time!!
    Thank you Jose … the trolley seat is a prerequisite for transporting the tripod, gimbal, and Billingham bag … the lens is too precious to risk a bumpy ride on the trolley over rough terrain so it's 'shoulder luggage' in a padded Manfrotto tripod bag which has a shoulder strap. The trolley instantly converts to a comfortable seat and has had heavy use over 5 years; it needs checking occasionally to tighten its screws which secure the tube joints. The wheels detach in seconds. A later version of the trolley collapses into a smaller package for easier car stowage … but mine still fits into a small hatchback car.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Very nice, I would love that.

I always see Red Kite birds where I live but they tend to fly quite high so you need a beast lens.

Red Kites are common in my locality. Plan to attract them using defrosted mice and rats (reptile food) purchased from the local pet food shop … but they're white so for next attempt will be coloured brown using food dye. First attempt using white mice was unsuccessful.

dunk