closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arrives on Monday

Hybrid View

Arrives on Monday

Can you ID this golden oldie from the film era?

Photo courtesy of the dealer

dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

Canon FD 800mm ?

Yes Bob … FD 800mm L. Lens will easily adapt to any mirrorless camera and I have an original Canon FD to EOS converter/adapter which is also a 1.26x extender … http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._adapters.html

Thus on a Canon APS-C SLR camera (1.6x crop factor) the FD 800mm equates to 800 x 1.6 x 1.26 =1613mm

Some of the 'action' in parts of two nature reserves near Peterborough is too far away from the hides to obtain decent photos and my existing Novoflex and Leitz 'long focus' (telescope) lenses are physically too long for comfortable use in the hides. The FD 800mm L telephoto design is shorter than the Novoflex/ Leitz lenses and its focus ergonomics are better.

The lens will likely also couple up to Canon EF extenders via the original FD to EOS adapter but remains too be seen if the combinations will provide usable images with all the extra glass added … a bit like using coupled EF extenders on an EF lens

The original FD 1.4x extender is pretty good so hopefully will image OK with my Sony A7SII … 800 x 1.4 = 1120mm … and the Sony has IBIS.

The lens was listed on Friday morning by Ffordes https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-027...800mm-f56-fd-l … very scarce lens and seldom offered by UK dealers

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 14:44. Reason: typo
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

I look forward to seeing some results from this lens Dunk. I maxed out my 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII with a Canon 2x TC on my 1D MkIII recently and was pleased with what I got, albeit in good light and supported . . .

I also grabbed a shot at home through double glazing with the same lens on my 7D and was very surprised at the result, @ 30m away and cropped . . .

Last edited by magirus; 22nd December 2019 at 20:26.

You obviously have a window cleaner as well as an outside loo, Bob.

Dunc, that's a beast of a lens/set-up. Looking forward to seeing some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You obviously have a window cleaner as well as an outside loo, Bob.

Dunc, that's a beast of a lens/set-up. Looking forward to seeing some shots.
    The lens could be 30 years old Tony so 'fingers crossed' it's still in collimation and capable of good results. Being manual focus it was not expensive … I do not mind using manual focus. No way could I ever afford a Canon AF 800mm FF lens costing c.12K

By way of comparison it'll be used at the same time as a Nikon 1 70-300mm AF on a Nikon 1 J5 … which with its 1" sensor has max. FF equivalent 810mm focal length … but cannot be used with extenders.

In theory the FD 800mm can be used via an adapter with the Nikon J5 as a 2.7x 800mm i.e. 2160mm … but would require very solid supports.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I look forward to seeing some results from this lens Dunk. I maxed out my 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII with a Canon 2x TC on my 1D MkIII recently and was pleased with what I got, albeit in good light and supported . . .

I also grabbed a shot at home through double glazing with the same lens on my 7D and was very surprised at the result, @ 30m away and cropped . . .
    That's a super lens Bob and excellent images … well worth using with extenders.

You may recall I had a Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt R (telescope long focus - not telephoto) … superb lens but far too heavy and bulky to transport easily thus sold … but I miss its versatility and good results. Almost impossible to use it in one of the reserve's hides as could only be set up in front of the entrance door.

As with all ultra-long focal lengths the atmospherics need to be excellent for optimum results.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2019 at 21:50.