closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It wouldn't be Christmas without.....

Master

It wouldn't be Christmas without.....

The Christmas cooking thread had me thinking about what makes Christmas special. There is obviously the religious aspect but as a non believer (and this being the G & D) I won't say any more. I suspect that all of us will agree that some or all of being with loved ones, time off, good food, good drink etc. etc. is what makes it. But is there one thing, be it a tradition, an ornament or a dish that only occurs or comes out at this time of year that really makes it special?

For me, being a great fan of food in general, that one thing is this:

Spiced beef. It doesn't look much but it is a lump of topside (should really be silverside but I didn't order in advance) which is five days into a nine day process of salting and spicing. At the end of the process it is roasted and then eaten cold. It is difficult to describe but a bit like pastrami but so much better as the flavour runs all the way through the meat.

Why is it special to me? Because as a child my Mum made it every year as part of the cold spread for Christmas lunch. The lengthy process of production meant that it was with us long before Christmas so when Mum started the beef we knew Christmas was coming. The smell of the mix of spices would fill the kitchen and that, to me, is the signature smell of Christmas, more so than the Christmas tree. It also help that it is delicious, especially when accompanied with a good piccalilli.

After I met my wife I stopped going home for Christmas every year and ended up missing the beef so, a few years ago, I plucked up the courage to ask Mum for the recipe and any tips and give it a go myself. I don't think the first one was that good but, over the years, the quality has steadily improved. To such extent that, when the whole family went to my parents for Christmas last year, I volunteered to provide "the beef" as my contribution. With my siblings and Mum to please there was plenty of pressure but it came out fine which was a relief.

This year I am doing it again but for myself mainly. Mrs. Wimm is fairly non-plussed by it and it is still a bit too spicy for my son. I'll give a bit to the butcher who provided the joint and also to a good friend of mine otherwise I'll be enjoying it over the next few weeks. I'm just hoping that the change in cut won't make too much of a difference.

Anyway, I've gabbled on enough so over to you, I look forward to reading about what things make Christmas special for others.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

I've got something that looks like that on my patio.

Looks like a dog made a mess

I’m sure it’s better than it looks.

For me, slow roasting ham in the oven and the smell that it brings is what sparks the Christmas feeling. Cooked overnight the whole house wakes up starving due to the smell.

That, and having the house full of family. It’s a great time of year and should not be taken for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was expecting: “A trip to the top of Nakatomi Tower”.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I was expecting: “A trip to the top of Nakatomi Tower”
    "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs" ...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Pickled peaches.
    Yes really.
    Served with left over cold cuts of turkey and ham
    Delicious- opies do some soaked in brandy
    Slurp.

Twiglets and nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Spiced beef. It doesn't look much but it is a lump of topside (should really be silverside but I didn't order in advance) which is five days into a nine day process of salting and spicing. At the end of the process it is roasted and then eaten cold. It is difficult to describe but a bit like pastrami but so much better as the flavour runs all the way through the meat.
    I've made the same thing - apart from the end roasting - several times over the years for Christmas. Referred to by my family as 'kharzi' beef, due to the fact that it was in one that I kept mine in an outhouse for the pickling time.

Back on topic: piccallily and Eat Me boxed dates, both of which will be forever associated with my childhood Chrismases.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I have to say, it's not really selling itself.

Boxing day. Cold cuts, pickles, a few chips or wedges, trifle, glass of port, cheeeeeze and bics, then a good brisk walk feeling slightly pissed.

Peri Peri Biltong....

Please share the recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    The Christmas cooking thread had me thinking about what makes Christmas special. There is obviously the religious aspect but as a non believer (and this being the G & D) I won't say any more. I suspect that all of us will agree that some or all of being with loved ones, time off, good food, good drink etc. etc. is what makes it. But is there one thing, be it a tradition, an ornament or a dish that only occurs or comes out at this time of year that really makes it special?

For me, being a great fan of food in general, that one thing is this:

Why is it special to me? Because as a child my Mum made it every year as part of the cold spread for Christmas lunch. The lengthy process of production meant that it was with us long before Christmas so when Mum started the beef we knew Christmas was coming. The smell of the mix of spices would fill the kitchen and that, to me, is the signature smell of Christmas, more so than the Christmas tree. It also help that it is delicious, especially when accompanied with a good piccalilli.

After I met my wife I stopped going home for Christmas every year and ended up missing the beef so, a few years ago, I plucked up the courage to ask Mum for the recipe and any tips and give it a go myself. I don't think the first one was that good but, over the years, the quality has steadily improved. To such extent that, when the whole family went to my parents for Christmas last year, I volunteered to provide "the beef" as my contribution. With my siblings and Mum to please there was plenty of pressure but it came out fine which was a relief.

This year I am doing it again but for myself mainly. Mrs. Wimm is fairly non-plussed by it and it is still a bit too spicy for my son. I'll give a bit to the butcher who provided the joint and also to a good friend of mine otherwise I'll be enjoying it over the next few weeks. I'm just hoping that the change in cut won't make too much of a difference.

Anyway, I've gabbled on enough so over to you, I look forward to reading about what things make Christmas special for others.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Fair enough, my food presentation and photography skills aren't up to much. I'll try to do a better job once it has been cooked. It is an interesting cure as there is plenty of salt in it but it still requires cooking at the end of the process.

I'd forgotten to add films to the list, haven't watched Die Hard in years.

I had to look up pickled pears as they are new to me, they sound pretty good, I'll have to give them a go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Please share the recipe!
    Not sure I can, it's secret blend of herbs and spices that has been handed down for generations. :-D

Master
    My mums Guinness ham, sadly she passed away last year so I’m trying to recreate it from memory this year.
    We’ll see how that goes.

There were a lot of things that connected Xmas with my mum in my mind as she was religious so christingle, midnight mass and Xmas day revolves around her going to church or doing her church warden duties. Any of these will be too painful for us at the moment so we are forgoing church for the foreseeable future.

Another tradition was her home made croissants I’m definitely going to try to recreate her recipe as they probably wouldn’t be called croissants by a true Frenchman but they were the best to me.

As for me the phrase ‘it’s not Christmas until hand gruber falls from the nakatomi tower’ holds very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk