closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Low fat chicken recipe ideas please

Craftsman

Low fat chicken recipe ideas please

We've got a family get together this weekend and were looking to do steak, salad with potato salad for the carb. We have just discovered one of the group is on a low fat diet and can't eat red meat (for medical reasons). I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom please for recipe ideas that I can offer using a chicken breast that doesn't involve much faffing about but is still tasty

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    My Mrs has been doing loads of recipes from this

https://www.flavcity.com/recipes/?fw...edient=chicken

Hard pushed to pick a favourite they’ve all been very tasty pretty quick and easy to make most of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    My Mrs has been doing loads of recipes from this

https://www.flavcity.com/recipes/?fw...edient=chicken

Hard pushed to pick a favourite they’ve all been very tasty pretty quick and easy to make most of them too.
    Good shout that pal. I knew you had your uses .
    OP , this and any Pho menu will be ideal .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Butterflied, marinated in a (decent) olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley in a food bag for about 20 mins or so, then onto a griddle - no need for any oil as the chicken already has a coating. Spiffing.

Or oil, salt, pepper a light vinegar and some Cajun for a spicier one.

Chicken breast:

• brine the chicken overnight...the Internet is your friend...or for a few hours at least (salt, sugar and water plus something like a bay leaf will make sure stays moist (unless you get carried away)

• marinade to take away the plain colour and give it a bit of extra flavour...as above or make your own: teriyaki sauce, soy sauce etc...or go out and buy one

• grill or oven cook until no longer pink inside the thickest part...don't over cook it
    Last edited by PickleB; 20th December 2019 at 22:14. Reason: spelling!

Curried Chicken

take some chicken brests - skin them, bone them (if necessary) and then chop into bite sized pieces.
    season with Cumin power, corriandor, a chopped curry leaf, curry power, black pepper, garlic powder, and whatever else you fancy.
    Put a small amount of rapeseed oil in a pan and add chicken and cook.

Then Add
    a tin of chopped tomatoes
    a tin of Chick peas (optional)
    a chopped onion
    a chopped pepper
    chopped mini corn on the cob (optional)
    chopped spring onions (optional)
    chopped green beans (optional)

add a good squeeze of tomato paste and a big handful of dried sultanas (optional)

Allow to simmer. Then add more spices, including bit of chilli power (to add some heat) if you like. You can even add a jar of Ready made Curry sauce if you fancy

let it simmer for about 15 minutes, then put the rice on (we use Long Grain). When the rice is ready, then so is the curry.

Serve with Naan Bread (option)

From fridge to table in about 40 minutes.

Very low fat, very low salt and full of nice veggies. Plus it very easy to make and tune to your own tastes.

Alternatively, skin them, marinate with Marsela (garlic, chilli and tomato) add spices to taste and then roast them. Allow to cool, slice them up and serve them warm on top of the salad.
    Last edited by Andyg; 20th December 2019 at 21:10.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I think that we should bear in mind that the OP will be cooking steaks at the same time and asked "for recipe ideas that I can offer using a chicken breast that doesn't involve much faffing about".

I'm not sure how he's cooking the steaks...pan or grill or BBQ...but something without too many more pots and pans would probably be appreciated.

Baked Tandoori chicken?

Mix 1tspn Chilli, 1tspn ground coriander, 1/2tspn Cumin, 1/2tspn tumeric into 2tblspn’s low fat yogurt, marinade 4 large chicken breasts (500g) overnight. Bake at a high heat 230-250C to give a nice colour. It’ll be lovely but not the day-glow red you see in a restaurant. Make a home made raita with mint, lemon, cucumber, onion & low fat yogurt. Lovely, a regular favourite in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Baked Tandoori chicken?

Mix 1tspn Chilli, 1tspn ground coriander, 1/2tspn Cumin, 1/2tspn tumeric into 2tblspn’s low fat yogurt, marinade 4 large chicken breasts (500g) overnight. Bake at a high heat 230-250C to give a nice colour. It’ll be lovely but not the day-glow red you see in a restaurant. Make a home made raita with mint, lemon, cucumber, onion & low fat yogurt. Lovely, a regular favourite in my house.
    Thanks, I'll be giving that marinade a go...even if I cook it a little differently.

Butterfly a chicken breast

Fill with soft cheese (any off the shelf and many have added chives etc)

Fold it back whole again and roast

Great with salad, warm

Or can be sliced up cold afterwards

BBC good food Nasi Goreng, excellent!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...tir-fried-rice

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...se-spice-paste

You need to make the spice paste in the second link as well.
    Last edited by catch21; 23rd December 2019 at 08:40.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going with the marinade idea followed by grilling the chicken, although will probably try out some of the others when I have more time

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    BBC good food Nasi Goreng, excellent!
    Any one in particular? There are at least 4...link.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Any one in particular? There are at least 4...link.
    Apologies, didn't realise, Indonesian stir fried rice. Superb.