closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decision Assistance: Rolex YM 40mm Everose

Craftsman

Decision Assistance: Rolex YM 40mm Everose

Well it seems the YM is flavour of the moment going by other posts and I have the option on a 40mm everose gold with oysterflex bracelet, black dial and bezel.

It’s a super watch and wears very well for me but when faced with the decision time crunch the pluses and minuses come into sharp focus.

I know it’s a personal decision at the end of the day but as with other similar posts views from other members would be welcome to add further insight and perspective.

There are two aspects that come to the fore:

Firstly how much wear would it really get? It’s a very expensive sports watch and can see myself wearing it under a cuff quite a lot with some exposer in safe environments. But can’t see myself wearing it by the pool or beach, however I do have a seamaster on rubber strap for that.

Secondly, the opportunity cost, for £20k I could fund a number of other watches that might get more wear and possibly just as much ownership satisfaction.

The price will shoot up in jan to circa £22k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one earlier this year and traded it. Two main reasons, firstly gold and I are not easy bedfellows, I never really felt comfortable wearing it. Secondly, as it say, it was instantly visible and stood out as it’s precious metal and I found people looking even under a cuff which I was never really comfortable with. It’s also an odd one as it’s rose gold but on a rubber strap, like it doesn’t really know what it wants to be.

That said it’s a stunning watch in the flesh, just not for me.

I had one for a few years, i loved it but i have a thing for gold/black palettes. (Only reason it got sold last month was to fund something new... but i’d Probably buy one again in the near future).

Never found it flashy, despite the gold, being on a rubber strap knocks down the bling, the everose isnt that shouty vs yellow gold.
    Personally I find PCLs on steel oysters to be alot more eye catching, you can tell someone is wearing an oyster from alot further away.

Depending which model you are looking at, Only con (which is solved on the update 126655) is the lack of adjustibilty in the clasp.
    The updated YM40 now has a glidelock (albeit half the range of adjustibilty vs a sub) but more than enough flexibility for cold/hot wrists.

Spare oysterflex sections are pricey though, £250 a side :/
    Last edited by endo; 20th December 2019 at 18:25.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a 126655 due in the next week, pre price rise. It just strikes me as an easy to wear RG watch, reasonably subtle on the rubber. I too like RG and black as a combo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I had one for a few years, i loved it but i have a thing for gold/black palettes. (Only reason it got sold last month was to fund something new... but i’d Probably buy one again in the near future).

Never found it flashy, despite the gold, being on a rubber strap knocks down the bling, the everose isnt that shouty vs yellow gold.
    Personally I find PCLs on steel oysters to be alot more eye catching, you can tell someone is wearing an oyster from alot further away.

Depending which model you are looking at, Only con (which is solved on the update 126655) is the lack of adjustibilty in the clasp.
    The updated YM40 now has a glidelock (albeit half the range of adjustibilty vs a sub) but more than enough flexibility for cold/hot wrists.

Yep it’s the latest 126655 model with the 3235 movement, I used the glidelock to fit my wrist for the try on and is very useful addition.

Totally agree it’s low key for a precious metal presentation which is part of its appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Per side!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Resist, go on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve had mine about 6 months and wear it a few days a week. I actually find it understated, as others have said the rose gold isn’t that loud and the overall appearance is toned down by the black bezel and oysterflex strap.

Cons? I can’t think of any as I love it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Resist, go on!

Beautiful that. Lovely proportions. I particularly like the absence of that half link thing that plagues the Daytona models on Oysterflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Beautiful that. Lovely proportions. I particularly like the absence of that half link thing that plagues the Daytona models on Oysterflex.
    Agree, they are horrible!

Master
    I really like it, I think the colours work well together and the Oysterflex "dress it down".

TBH I'm looking at the 42mm in WG, if the everose was available in 42mm it would be the one, the Yachtmaster in red really adds to the dial. The 40mm is too small for me and after trying one I thought wore smaller than the 40mm suggests.

If you are happy with the size go for it, great watch

Craftsman
    I’ve tried this piece on and thought about it for an hour at my AD, didn’t pull the trigger... but it’s a lovely piece.

Best looking Rolex there is for me!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If I could afford it I'd buy it definitely!!!
    I'm not a Rolex fan but that is a fantastic watch

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Mate - I think this is a superb piece. If you are looking for a Rolex gold watch that you could wear unobtrusively - this would be my choice. I actually saw someone sport one in the local swimming pool and sauna. It is after all an oyster case so can be worn in water if you wish - and the oyster flex is super comfy - as you probably found.

It will tie up a lump of cash in one watch, but ask yourself - would you rather have two / three other watches or one special one? This will most likely hold its value - ok it's not the hottest one on the block like the 42mm white gold - but it has proved resilient compared to the other YM.

Personally I really like the matt black ceramic bezel compared with the ceramic bezel on the steel 'professional' range. Also you already have a few great watches in your collection right?

On the other hand - I would not buy a watch I would never wear.

If you are for a similar priced watch as an example - you could do worse than this: A Patek 5296R-001

Which you could buy new (if you can find one) for same price as the YM or second hand - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/patekphil...-id9620029.htm - at slightly under.

But back to the YM - lovely piece - even for occasional use. And yes prices go up next month! Knowing what you have in your collection - I think the YM is more up your street, compared to the Patek... Or are you looking for something of a change?

Good luck with thinking this through.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th December 2019 at 21:07.

Blog Entries
    It’s a beautiful watch.

I think these are absolutely beautiful watches. I’d love one and maybe one day I’ll be fortunate enough to get my hands on one. I got to,try one on at a Rolex event recently and fell for it big time. Not at all bling, well maybe a little bit , but almost subtle. Subtle for a gold Rolex anyway!

Having been in a similar position, albeit at a quarter of the YM budget earlier this week, I understand exactly what you mean about tying up the funds to buy several other very nice watches. I decided against it in the end but if it had been this watch, where you know you’ll not lose money if you don’t bond with it, I’d absolutely go for it!

Craftsman
    Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and some very good perspectives to take on board.

I’ll continue to mull it over and hopefully decide one way or another (Blondie song?) tomorrow.

Master
    I think in rose gold most watches look lovely, the ym included. If I were looking for a gold watch I'd consider that, although I wonder if I'd have a nagging doubt that it's somehow a lesser watch than a submariner? The ym is slightly odd as a dressy sub with less performance.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and some very good perspectives to take on board.

I’ll continue to mull it over and hopefully decide one way or another (Blondie song?) tomorrow.

Let me know what you decide! I’ve been thinking about it too.. on the same boat. Maybe your decision will sway me. :)

If I were still working full time and earning the money I was before our move near the south coast this year that would be my next and possibly last big watch purchase. Always loved the YM rose, maybe I moved a year too soon...

Craftsman
    After much debate I have decided to give this one a miss for many reason but in the main due to a potential house purchase next year and need to keep flexible.

Thanks for all your input, will see what next teR brings.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks lovely but a cant quite get my head around a dive watch at that price that isn’t on a bracelet.

I honestly think this is one of the best, if not the best looking Rolex sports watch at the moment. The colours are lovely

Blog Entries
    OP. Any update??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP. Any update??
    After much debate I have decided to give this one a miss for many reason but in the main due to a potential house purchase next year and need to keep flexible.

There's a 11 reference for sale on Miltonaires website. Unsure of the differences between the 11 and the 12 model, perhaps just the power reserve and etching on the sapphire?

Actually looks like the newer one has glide lock.

In the meantime you could get one from Steinhart for just over £400 to tide you over...

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/o...pink-gold.html

Craftsman
    Blimey that looks almost identical, can they do that?

Master
    Blimey that looks almost identical, can they do that?

Shouldn’t be allowed - disgraceful copy

It's okay, it's a homage.

Master

I loved mine and really enjoyed owning it, the oyster flex is incredibly comfortable and it really was a lovely piece but alas I had to let it go along with the bnlr for that matter when buying a house BUT if I could get it again one day I certainly will look fo do so

Blog Entries
    When I sell my house - I hope to keep 20K back from the proceeds, for one of these - (subject to approval from the other owner of the property)! It really is a glorious watch. I hope the OP has enough left over from any house purchase to get one too at some point..

Craftsman
    So I bought one of these 50 mins ago before the AD shuts. The new price tag (£21,900) was even already on it.

Super excited now and hoping I don’t regret but I should probably think of how I’m going to scrape funds for my credit card bill this month....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    So I bought one of these 50 mins ago before the AD shuts. The new price tag (£21,900) was even already on it.

Super excited now and hoping I don’t regret but I should probably think of how I’m going to scrape funds for my credit card bill this month....
    That’s the way to do it! Nice one 👍

Craftsman
    Well done enjoy your new purchase, when my house purchase is complete I look forward to picking this up on SC, maybe.

Craftsman
    Well done enjoy your new purchase, when my house purchase is complete I look forward to picking this up on SC, maybe.

Thanks. I will keep you in mind if I do decide to part with it.