closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAM upgrade - is it possible?

Master

RAM upgrade - is it possible?

I have one of these at work running a piece of purchased software
    https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-veriton-m275/

we are encountering a few issues which the support team tell me is a lack of RAM power as the software has become more complex. A new machine is fine but then they inform me that they will charge me handsomely to reinstall the software on a new PC!

Sadly it seems that this machine can't be upgraded - 2 slots only with 2gb in each.
    Might there be another way? I assumed RAM was simply plug and play to upgrade.
    Thanks
    David

No, sorry to say it looks like, that system will only see 4gb of RAM.

Could you clone the drive with the software and OS onto another drive, probably an SSD, and then install that in a new computer without reinstalling.

Many SSDs come with cloning software or you can use free software.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 20th December 2019 at 17:57.

Master
    According to the intel g41 express spec sheet, it supports 8gb of ddr2, or 4gb of ddr3.

Go on Crucial Memory the upgrade programme will tell you....

https://uk.crucial.com/

That’s where I checked first Rod, no dice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Go on Crucial Memory the upgrade programme will tell you....

https://uk.crucial.com/
    I'll try that on the machine itself tomorrow thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Could you clone the drive with the software and OS onto another drive, probably an SSD, and then install that in a new computer without reinstalling.

Many SSDs come with cloning software or you can use free software.
    Can you do this remotely, by which I mean simply connect up a ssd in a caddy to a usb port and simply copy the current HD?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Can you do this remotely, by which I mean simply connect up a ssd in a caddy to a usb port and simply copy the current HD?
    Yes, it's very easy. You don't use a caddy as such but a USB to SATA cable like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Ad.../dp/B01N2JIQR7

Macrium Reflect Free is a very good piece of software to do the transfer:
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I'm not sure what success you will have in copying the HDD & then putting the SSD into a different PC if that's what you are thinking of doing.

Where about are you, if near NW London then I can pull 2 4Gb sticks out of my desktop and install them to see if it works, if it does you can order some?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Where about are you, if near NW London then I can pull 2 4Gb sticks out of my desktop and install them to see if it works, if it does you can order some?
    That's very kind. I'm in Swindon so a little way away. I think I probably have some spare ram but I don't know what it is, 2 or 3, or how much.
    I may have a go at this if there is little risk. I assume if it doesn't work I just put the old ones back in. The Max Supported Size is only 4 GB but I gather that may or may not be true!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    That's very kind. I'm in Swindon so a little way away. I think I probably have some spare ram but I don't know what it is, 2 or 3, or how much.
    I may have a go at this if there is little risk. I assume if it doesn't work I just put the old ones back in. The Max Supported Size is only 4 GB but I gather that may or may not be true!
    Sometimes soldered in laptops.

Don’t know what the software is but sounds pretty poor to want you to pay again to reinstall it
    on a different machine, you normally pay to have a licence for each one you use it on so if they delete
    it from the old one what’s the issue. Isn’t there someone higher up you could take this up with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Don’t know what the software is but sounds pretty poor to want you to pay again to reinstall it
    on a different machine, you normally pay to have a licence for each one you use it on so if they delete
    it from the old one what’s the issue. Isn’t there someone higher up you could take this up with.
    I tend to agree. Especially as the software licence was bought on the understanding that it was compatible with the computer in question, which it was. And that subsequent updates on their end rendered it unuseable. It is not unheard of for software companies to transfer licenses.

It also highlights a reason that Linux is so popular. Just stick the drive in a new machine. Windows makes that far far more challenging.

Post some pics of the ram you have and maybe we can tell you?