closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ADVICE WANTED: Builder - Plumber - Drainage - Sewage - Non Return Valve

ADVICE WANTED: Builder - Plumber - Drainage - Sewage - Non Return Valve

Hope you've finished your breakfast and as it's a watch forum: Hamilton Khaki automatic today.

I live in a terrace of town houses and commercial properties with a shared foul water drain that leads to the main sewer. As the drain is shared it is the responsibility of the water company. It blocks too frequently and sewage fills the manholes and there is always the risk of sewage back flowing in to the house. It has blocked again. I have reported it to the water company. They will come at some point. I avoid toilets, sinks, showers when blocked, but I can't control the other properties.

To mitigate the risk of crap back flowing in to the house on future occasions, I'm thinking of installing a check valve in the man hole on our sewage outlet so that if the manhole fills, sewage will not back flow through our property's lateral pipe.

Does anybody have experience of Buffalo non-return valves or similar?

https://youtu.be/-gl4nR50T_o

My thoughts are that it will construct flow and toilet paper etc will build up leading to blockage. Just based on how easily our drains block, I’m not a professional!

Doesn’t look expensive though, why not just try it?

Craftsman
    Always better to solve the problem not mask the symptoms with these sort of things. Have you had a drain survey, I bet there are roots growing in it downstream or some other restriction.

Master
    As an aside, I'd be raising the frequent blockage with the water company and making a pita of myself, they are not delivering a decent service. Might be worth getting OFWAT involved too. If there is any danger of the sewage getting in to water courses then get The Environment Agency involved, they have real teeth, the water companies jump in to action when the EAs beady eyes settle upon them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Hope you've finished your breakfast and as it's a watch forum: Hamilton Khaki automatic today.

I live in a terrace of town houses and commercial properties with a shared foul water drain that leads to the main sewer. As the drain is shared it is the responsibility of the water company. It blocks too frequently and sewage fills the manholes and there is always the risk of sewage back flowing in to the house. It has blocked again. I have reported it to the water company. They will come at some point. I avoid toilets, sinks, showers when blocked, but I can't control the other properties.

To mitigate the risk of crap back flowing in to the house on future occasions, I'm thinking of installing a check valve in the man hole on our sewage outlet so that if the manhole fills, sewage will not back flow through our property's lateral pipe.

Does anybody have experience of Buffalo non-return valves or similar?

https://youtu.be/-gl4nR50T_o
    If it is a shared drain then you should be high priority. You should tell them that it is starting to backup and they should put you top of the list.

I was very surprised when our dipstick neighbour blocked our communal (4 deatched houses) United utilities were out to us in two days, arranged on the phone - they called me back about an hour after I reported it.

Goodluck

B

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Always better to solve the problem not mask the symptoms with these sort of things. Have you had a drain survey, I bet there are roots growing in it downstream or some other restriction.
    Happened to us a year back. Culprit was a neighbours leylandii - which was a good 10' away from the drain! Fortunately it was quick and easy to sort.

Suggest you get in touch with the water company.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Thanks for your comments.

I reported the blockage to Thames Water last night. The service level is 24h. They are very busy at the moment because of the heavy rainfall and flooding in the South East.

I live in one of six relatively new properties (four houses, two businesses). The subsidiary sewer passes east to west in front of these properties and then through an older corner property (business) before reaching the main sewer in a main road running north-south. The past blockages have been, and been cleared, between this last property and the main sewer. It doesn't mean the source of the blockage originated from this last property. We've had a couple of inconclusive CCTV surveys. I don't think the problem comes from tree roots. I reckon displaced joints as the sewer runs through the older property. Thames Water gives the usual reasons: fats and paper towels.

Hopefully the blockage will be cleared today before the point of sewage back flowing. I then need to get on to Thames Water and go down the line of there is a recurring problem, aren't you responsible for investigating and determining the fault and fixing it.

Some of my neighbours don't give a shit so to speak. As it has happened before I know what to look for and check the manholes to try and trap the problem early. The manholes are filling.