closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Scooters, anyone got one???

Thereís not much difference in principle between a scooter and a bike. One has a seat and pedal, the other doesnít (though the first Ďbikesí didnít have pedals either).

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    4mph on pavement, and if of the right type, 8 mph on road.

Pete
    Thats good info, I was only whinging to my wife the other day that often mobility users around here seem to fly along the footpaths. 8mph seems about right. Its a matter of time before they hurt someone. Fools.

Master
    Halfords now doing the Xiaomi M365Pro for £400 and the M365 for £270 using a code, ohhhh which one haha...

I have no problems with these scooters, more of this type of thing means less cars and thats a step in the right direction. Im a keen road cyclist, have been for years and Ive never come across one that I couldn't overtake.

I wonder how these scooters can be illegal yet electric bikes are not.

I'm fine with electric bikes aswell mind but a lad shot past me the other day at over 40mph.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I have no problems with these scooters, more of this type of thing means less cars and thats a step in the right direction. Im a keen road cyclist, have been for years and Ive never come across one that I couldn't overtake.

I'm fine with electric bikes aswell mind but a lad shot past me the other day at over 40mph.
    Looks like there is specific legislation for bicycles but I suspect the key word is "assisted" (so, as opposed to 'powered', etc.):

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...pc-regulations

Whether all electric bicycles conform and are used according to the law is another question.
    Last edited by David_D; 26th December 2019 at 13:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I use a helmet and hi vis and obey the Highway Code so if used correctly I donít see the issue.
    Presumably you can't be complying with the Highway Code if you are using it on the public highway when it's illegal to do so!

It's like me saying I'm very careful when I drive through red lights!

My one does about 23mph I use to used it for getting to work as the carpark was always full
    My scooter I could fold up and leave it in my locker but now I just use it to pop down to the Tescos
    As its only just over a mile away

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Thanks.

So presumably if youíre using a 2 wheeled scooter as a mobility aid at 8mph or less on a road then it isnít illegal? Iím confused. Is this why the police are just stopping and warning about speed?
    The police are cracking down on the scooters due to a young woman recently being killed while riding one in London and another young man getting life changing injuries a couple of days later.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    The police are cracking down on the scooters due to a young woman recently being killed while riding one in London and another young man getting life changing injuries a couple of days later.
    Happens to cyclists everyday. Police arenít really cracking down. There have been a couple of specific exercises but most of the time the police donít care and will even chat to you at lights as youíre riding.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Happens to cyclists everyday. Police aren’t really cracking down. There have been a couple of specific exercises but most of the time the police don’t care and will even chat to you at lights as you’re riding.
    It might happen to cyclists everyday, but using a cycle isn't illegal.
    Using an electric scooter on public roads is.
    Break the law if you want (i don't have a problem with people using them), but don't whinge if you're caught.
    Last edited by steptoe; 26th December 2019 at 18:20.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    It might happen to cyclists everyday, but using a cycle isn't illegal.
    Using an electric scooter on public roads is.
    Break the law if you want (i don't have a problem with people using them), but don't whinge if you're caught.
    I wouldnít whinge. Given police resources the chance of getting stopped is almost nil, unless you ride across London Bridge of course. Itís the hypocrisy I find amusing. People get riled up about scooters for some strange reason but cyclists happily break the same highway laws every day and donít seem to care.

The law will have to catch up eventually.

There are number of app-based hire schemes for electric scooters in Berlin (although I'm waiting for the first snow to kill them off) and they are legal over here. I threw a tenner's worth of credit into the Lime one as their scooters seem to be more frequently strewn across the pavement near the office and the conclusion is that I am not a fan. The most irritating restriction is that they are absolutely useless on cobblestones - one of the first opportunities to use the thing had to be abandoned as the shortcut I had in mind ended up in me ditching the first scooter, walking to the nearest main road to get another and then effectively shadowing the bus route I was originally planning to avoid.

I also don't feel particularly safe on them as you will always have one less point of contact than any kind of bicycle (i.e. your @rse) - I imagine more familiarity would improve this but I'm not planning any more work in this area. They don't really work with luggage either unless you're prepared to switch to a rucksack and that is not going to happen.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

Master
    I was driving through Leeds yesterday and some prize t!t on an electric scooter was driving through Sheepscar interchange - this very large, busy and complex junction:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/...ar_Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I wouldnít whinge. Given police resources the chance of getting stopped is almost nil
    It is not the police I would be bothered about - it is the personal injury liability (which you cannot even bankrupt yourself out of being liable for).

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It is not the police I would be bothered about - it is the personal injury liability (which you cannot even bankrupt yourself out of being liable for).
    Best not hit anyone then! Bit like cycling on the pavement!

I cycle on pavement wherever I can as I prefer living and being in one piece or both if possible. If I see people on a footway I slow down or nip onto the road. Then back on footway. My bike is de-restricted and can do about 35mph reasonably easily. A road (racing) bike will achieve 40+ mph with a fit rider but they weigh about a quarter of my Ebike. It's about common sense rather than blind conformance.
    When we were in Malta last year there were hundreds of Ebikes and scooters on paths and roads, I'm sure it's the same in many countries worldwide.
    Not in good old nanny-state Britain though. We love our rules don't we?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    From the people who brought you ďsmartĒ motorways ....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Had to happen eventually.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

Scooters have much smaller wheels, which means the rotational inertia of the wheels (mass x radius squared) is far lower for a scooter than a bike. This is why scooters are inherently unstable and unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Scooters have much smaller wheels, which means the rotational inertia of the wheels (mass x radius squared) is far lower for a scooter than a bike. This is why scooters are inherently unstable and unsafe.
    More importantly for stability, the centre of gravity is much higher above the wheel axles than on a bike. Add to that the slightest imperfection on the road is the equivalent of a pothole for a bike. They are fun, they are fast and they are convenient in a city but they are dangerous (for themselves) on the road and dangerous (for others) on the pavement.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    More importantly for stability, the centre of gravity is much higher above the wheel axles than on a bike. Add to that the slightest imperfection on the road is the equivalent of a pothole for a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Exactly, if you push a supermarket trolley across a supermarket carpark, you get some idea of how tiny wheels and even small surface irregularities “work” together.