closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Scooters, anyone got one???

Electric Scooters, anyone got one???

I keep looking at the Xiaomi 365 Pro and thinking they’d be great to use to get around on, just our laws stop me...
    Anyone got one and if so what do they think of them and have you ever been stopped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dads got one, they seem good value. I’d go with a Boosted Rev myself but it’s considerably more expensive. In London I see people all the time. You may get stopped and the police in London have done a couple of targeted stops in places like London Bridge but generally if you’re riding safely I imagine they have more important things to worry about. I’ve got a Boosted Mini X but have limited mileage so far, it’s a fair weather toy.

Friend of mine rides around Guildford a lot on his, he has a particarly fast one, - he's been riding one for years, - he's always got stopped, but lately he's getting stopped more than normal, - he's never had details etc taken - just a warning that it's illegal

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    Friend of mine rides around Guildford a lot on his, he has a particarly fast one, - he's been riding one for years, - he's always got stopped, but lately he's getting stopped more than normal, - he's never had details etc taken - just a warning that it's illegal
    1) they're not great if the road is poor.
    2) they're not that light if you have to carry them around on your commute.
    3) they don't do much for your looks, unless you cultivate a beard, wear fancy glasses, skinny pink jeans and always order a latte.
    4) standing on them looks easy but it's actually tiring. I suppose it gets better with practice, but moving your legs on a bicycle is actually easier on flat terrain.
    5) They're illegal on public space. This means you'll get stopped and told they're illegal. Not pleasant but not the end of the world. However, if you have an accident you might find yourself in a lot more trouble. If you injured someone else in the accident your troubles could grow exponentially.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My dads got one, they seem good value. I’d go with a Boosted Rev myself but it’s considerably more expensive. In London I see people all the time. You may get stopped and the police in London have done a couple of targeted stops in places like London Bridge but generally if you’re riding safely I imagine they have more important things to worry about. I’ve got a Boosted Mini X but have limited mileage so far, it’s a fair weather toy.
    Confiscate them and problem will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Confiscate them and problem will go away.
    I didn’t know there was a problem 🤨

I didn’t know there was a problem 廊
    Isn't it a problem when offences are being committed? Apparently police are doing targeted stops and issuing warnings.

Confiscate them instead of issuing warnings and they won't have to waste time doing this.

Isn't it a problem when offences are being committed? Apparently police are doing targeted stops and issuing warnings.

Confiscate them instead of issuing warnings and they won't have to waste time doing this.
    It’s more of a problem when people are getting stabbed and mugged but I take your point they are all offences in the eyes of the law.

However I dread to think about the paperwork involved in confiscation, probably not worth the effort.

While we're at it, let's "pop a cap" in all convicted crims a$$es while we're at it. Finish them off.
    Prisons then won't be anything like as overcrowded as they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    While we're at it, let's "pop a cap" in all convicted crims a$$es while we're at it. Finish them off.
    Prisons then won't be anything like as overcrowded as they are ?
    Certainly not my sentiment but maybe that of the scooter riders, seems common view here.

If something is illegal, I avoid doing it. That would seem to be the sensible viewpoint - choosing to ignore the law because it doesn’t suit you personally is childish imho, and one of the reasons this country seems to be increasingly populated by selfish morons. But hey, maybe that’s just me!

Blog Entries
    Do adults really use them? Obviously must be in more 'metropolitan' areas
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If something is illegal, I avoid doing it. That would seem to be the sensible viewpoint - choosing to ignore the law because it doesn’t suit you personally is childish imho, and one of the reasons this country seems to be increasingly populated by selfish morons. But hey, maybe that’s just me!

Ever cycled on the pavement? Done 32 in a 30 zone?

Master
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...l-on-uk-roads/

"Also, the 1988 Act (section 34) together with the Highways Act 1835 (section 72) bans e-scooters (or as the law refers to them ‘mechanically propelled vehicles’ ) from pavements, cycle paths and public footpaths. This means that riders could face a £300 fine and six points on their licence if they use them on public roads or pavements."

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...l-on-uk-roads/

"Also, the 1988 Act (section 34) together with the Highways Act 1835 (section 72) bans e-scooters (or as the law refers to them ‘mechanically propelled vehicles’ ) from pavements, cycle paths and public footpaths. This means that riders could face a £300 fine and six points on their licence if they use them on public roads or pavements."
    I’m sure the law will catch up.

Master
    I’m sure the law will catch up.
    Not sure how. Something with tiny wheels is not suited to the rutted and potholed roads we have and “powered” vehicles and pedestrians don’t mix. (And many pavements aren’t that great for small wheels either, come to that.)

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not sure how. Something with tiny wheels is not suited to the rutted and potholed roads we have and “powered” vehicles and pedestrians don’t mix. (And many pavements aren’t that great for small wheels either, come to that.)
    It will have to. As will the infrastructure to support them and other non car traffic. Lots of new bike lanes already in use across London with super smooth surfaces (also some serious bone rattlers on the non cycle lanes!)

If our 'nanny state' can find an excuse to ban something it will, or even if it can't.
    When we were in Malta a few months ago there were literally dozens of fold-up battery scooters wizzing up and down the main street and paths. When they reach their destination or crowded areas they collapse their scooter put it on their back and carry on walking. Seemed entirely sensible and eco friendly.
    While we are about it we should ban 100kg rugby players sprinting down the pavement at 20mph. A child might be hurt.

Craftsman
    Just this morning there was a guy zipping through the train station on one of these

https://onewheel.com/products/pint

Looked cool but couldn’t believe the price of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    While we are about it we should ban 100kg rugby players sprinting down the pavement at 20mph. A child might be hurt.
    I think we could do that. If we find 100kg rugby players sprinting down the pavement at 20mph, that is...

I have a xiaomi 365 been using it in manchester for 6 months. To and from the train.
    I do have a beard and order lattes a lot.
    And vegan sausage rolls from Greggs

In which case you look cool and the police will salute you as you wizz through traffic or pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think we could do that. If we find 100kg rugby players sprinting down the pavement at 20mph, that is...
    MMA fighter then?

or

https://statsports.com/who-are-the-f...orld-cup-2019/
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 20th December 2019 at 23:31.

Master
    Lots of new bike lanes already in use across London with super smooth surfaces (also some serious bone rattlers on the non cycle lanes!)
    Must be the extra spend on transport in London/SE compared to up north! Most bike lanes up here are full of the rubbish and general road detritus that never gets swept up - oh, and badly installed and maintained drain covers.

I'm not sure which way our Government will go with regards to these been legal outside of private land, tbf they have more than enough stuff going on...

Think I'll look out for a second hand 365 Pro and might take a shot and getting one...

See them all the time on the bike paths over here, not my cup of tea but you don't see them at all on the public roads or footpaths. Bike path use seems fairly sensible to me, they are travelling at the approx speed of cyclists and need the unbroken surface.

I would hate to see them on the footpaths - far to dangerous to be doing those speeds around all the pedestrians.

Master
    I was fed up seeing them fly past me on my Brompton and so I joined the masses in London and got a 365 over a year ago and it’s been brilliant, packs up easy enough and makes getting a round a doddle I get around 17 miles from mine and haven’t had any problems whatsoever with the police, I’ve even spoken too a few and they have always been fine but like anything common sense prevails I use a helmet and hi vis and obey the Highway Code so if used correctly I don’t see the issue.

Buy with confidence

Ive this one its a dual motor type and really flys

Guy at work has one and got caught speeding over London bridge (20mph limit). He got points and now sticks to 20 but is aware they aren't legal but still furious about the points as he didn't know that bit until after.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Guy at work has one and got caught speeding over London bridge (20mph limit). He got points and now sticks to 20 but is aware they aren't legal but still furious about the points as he didn't know that bit until after.
    Furious with himself hopefully.

What if he didn't have a licence to get points on?

They could always "pop a cap in his a$$" I guess ?

Good question. No idea.

Electric Scooters, anyone got one???

Same thing when you ride your bike: if you committed a traffic offence, and that offence would give you points in a car, you’ll get points on your licence if you have one on top of the fine. Fine only if you don’t.

Lot's of these around Abu Dhabi which are public hire.

Absolute menace TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I agree the law will catch up. They are becoming more and more common. I use one for a 2 mile commute and it’s great and practical.

Pros:
    - more convenient than driving to the station and cheaper!
    - takes me 11 minutes to go 2 miles.
    - it’s easy to collapse and put up so taking on trains is a doddle.
    - it’s only 11 kg to easy to carry.
    - it has a range of about 8 miles which is adequate for me.

Cons:
    - mine doesn’t have suspension so is bloody firm!
    - mine doesn’t have a trip on it so doesn’t display range.
    - mine doesn’t have a built in front light.
    - you do feel and look a knob using one and people are happy to tell you so.

Overall I thing it’s superb and the cons have been remedied with newer models.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lot's of these around Abu Dhabi which are public hire.

Absolute menace TBH.
    Not sure how that can be true. Unless they’re moving around on their own?

Not sure how that can be true. Unless they’re moving around on their own?
    Lots of local 'youths' hire them and race around all over the place, abandoning them where they stop.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Tower Bridge has average speed cameras with number plate recognition, was he pulled over by a policeman/woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Tower Bridge has average speed cameras with number plate recognition, was he pulled over by a policeman/woman?
    Pulled over by waiting police. Seems it was a one day crack down on speeding e-scooter riders after work. He hasn't seen them since.

Master
    Pulled over by waiting police. Seems it was a one day crack down on speeding e-scooter riders after work. He hasn't seen them since.
    Also that’s bloomin fast. I am sure most max out at 15mph. I am talking about the computable cardinals foldable models.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lots of local 'youths' hire them and race around all over the place, abandoning them where they stop.
    So it’s not the scooters, rather the users...a bit like cars, bikes, motorbikes etc etc

I gave up riding scooters when I learned how to ride a bike.
    From memory, I was about 6 years old and it was a Tri-ang.
    No desire to look like a child these days....probably a millenial thing?
    Each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I gave up riding scooters when I learned how to ride a bike.
    From memory, I was about 6 years old and it was a Tri-ang.
    No desire to look like a child these days....probably a millenial thing?
    Each to their own I suppose.
    I’d rather look like a child than some of those mamils I see on the road, they look ridiculous 😂

Neither are a good look.

Journeyman
    I bought 3 of the Segway ninebot ES2 for our exhibition teams to use when running around setting up boat shows & they absolutely love them!

What’s the maximum speed allowable for a four-wheel mobility scooter? I’m not seeing much difference in principle between a mobility scooter being used in a pavement or road - each causing their own issues - and two wheeled scooter discussed here. In fact you could argue the scooter (as with everything, used sensibly) should have less impact on other pavement/road users than a mobility scooter.

Master
    4mph on pavement, and if of the right type, 8 mph on road.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What’s the maximum speed allowable for a four-wheel mobility scooter? I’m not seeing much difference in principle between a mobility scooter being used in a pavement or road - each causing their own issues - and two wheeled scooter discussed here. In fact you could argue the scooter (as with everything, used sensibly) should have less impact on other pavement/road users than a mobility scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    4mph on pavement, and if of the right type, 8 mph on road.

Pete
    Thanks.

So presumably if you’re using a 2 wheeled scooter as a mobility aid at 8mph or less on a road then it isn’t illegal? I’m confused. Is this why the police are just stopping and warning about speed?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Thanks.

So presumably if you’re using a 2 wheeled scooter as a mobility aid at 8mph or less on a road then it isn’t illegal? I’m confused. Is this why the police are just stopping and warning about speed?
    No, mobility scooters have a specific exemption.