closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The return of Timor. WWW homage.

The return of Timor. WWW homage.

Been following this one since the chap behind the project first discussed it over on MWRforum. I think it's coming along brilliantly and can't wait to see it on kickstarter early next year, could be the first project I back(as long as not overpriced).

upload photos

monarch butterfly wallpaper

Link to the site... https://timorwatch.com/?fbclid=IwAR2...ToN13PIIwQCmto

What do we think, any fans here?

My only slight disappointments, no fixed bars which I would have preferred and I would have been happy with an acrylic instead of sapphire to keep cost down and at the same time more inkeeping. Also the sub seconds isn't correct but hey beggers can't be choosers and overall the guy listened to criticism and came back with a great result on the prototype.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 19th December 2019 at 17:17.

There’s something about the seconds dial that I’m not sure of it can’t quite put my finger on it. It is slightly too large? Too white / bright?

I agree with you about the plexi but I don’t go a bundle on fixed bars.

It looks really nice though. He’s local to me which does add an extra bit of interest.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 19th December 2019 at 11:00.

I was a little more hopeful of this before seeing the final renders.
    I think the hour hand is too long, and there is not enough taper on the sub-second hand
    I would also like to see the caseback, and know the WR.
    I like the inclusion of an AF0210.
    Having said all that, I think it is a well-sized and specified re-creation, so may still be looking for one, if the price is right.
    Dave

Nice watch and nice to see a revival. I agree about the seconds sub dial, for me it could be a bit smaller and not chop off the corners of the numbers 5 and 7. That is a pet hate of mine numbers chopped in half, either have them whole or not at all if you need the space for something else.

Agreed with the sub dial comments. It needs to be very slightly smaller. Even if an older model did this travesty, there is really no need for it on that watch, and the looks would be improved dramatically!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    There’s something about the seconds dial that I’m not sure of it can’t quite put my finger on it. It is slightly too large? Too white / bright?
    Too large I think, would look much better with some space around it.

I think this looks great! am curious to see how much it turns out to be:)

Both movements are built by Sellita, especially for Timor. Really?

The case has a bead blasted finish that, unlike brushed or polished finishes, will age beautifully with time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think the hour hand is too long, and there is not enough taper on the sub-second hand
    Having said all that, I think it is a well-sized and specified re-creation, so may still be looking for one, if the price is right.
    Dave
    I agree with you on both points there Dave. Also I had mentioned to the guy before about the eating of the numbers by the subseconds. He has improved it but if you look closely at the original they fit just perfect without the ring eating into the numbers at all. Not a deal breaker for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    Both movements are built by Sellita, especially for Timor. Really?

The case has a bead blasted finish that, unlike brushed or polished finishes, will age beautifully with time. LOL
    It is a bit marketing spill there but my understanding with the first point is that he has got them to remove the date setting position so you don't have a dead setting position where the date wheel would have been adjusted. Straight in to time setting. A nice detail as I don't like dead crown positions.

I don't know if that prototype is the finished article or if there will be further refinements. I would like to hope there are still tweaks being made. I did suggest for instance if he could make a stretch goal for an option of fixed bars, would love to see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Dave
    All good points, to which I might add the lack of paint on the second hand and that the font looks odd. On the original it, to my eyes, appears larger and lighter. It almost seems that the new model has a bold font that needs to be a couple of points smaller in order to fit in.

Will the movements hack? I don't know if the original did but suspect that it may not have. Rather than fixed bars I would like to see drilled lugs but that may be a step too far away from the original.
    Last edited by PickleB; 19th December 2019 at 14:33.

Master
    I think it would've looked better if all the dial had aged colouring. Two-tone does no favours to the look

Fixed bar function can be reasonably replicated by installing shoulder-less spring bars. They won't be quite as strong as fixed bars but you would have to look closely to notice they were actually spring bars.

36.5mm. They avoided the temptation to increase the size to 38-40mm

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    36.5mm. They avoided the temptation to increase the size to 38-40mm
    It was going to be larger originally but thankfully he listened to the requests over on MWR for the correct size

The larger size would have killed any of my interest. The original wears perfectly, 36.5 isn't that small compared to Apr of watches of the periof and the Timor was one of the larger of the dirty dozen.

I think this looks great! Providing the price is right, I will backing the Kick Starter campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Price forecasts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Price forecasts?
    Think on mwrf he mentions he hopes to keep it in the 500 to 600 pound bracket. I would defo be interested at closer to 500 but unwilling to risk more on a Kickstart er, even if he seems reputable and it won't matter as there are plenty who can throw 600 quid at it and not worry too much.

I'm in the market for a new remake of an allies watch under the same name as the company produced it during ww2, to balance my stowa and nothing from the dirty dozen really appeals until this.

Very happy with the size too, it's perfect. I'm not too bothered about the other details around the hands or the sub seconds, even if it could use a tiny bit of work.

Price will dictate if this will end up in my watch box.

It would be a helluva watch at 450!

Blog Entries
    I like that a lot and thank you for sharing.

Please do keep us posted.

Ta
    Pitch

Craftsman
    Looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My ‘real-life’ review of this watch.

Timor in Real Life
    Today, over a coffee, I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Benjamin, the man responsible for bringing back the Timor brand. I also got to see and try the watch….more of that in a bit.

Benjamin is a very knowledgeable, passionate and skilled watch enthusiast. He’s also a very pleasant and likeable bloke which, for me, is always important. Ex British Army personnel, he has a long-standing interest in military watches. Like myself, his interest in watches goes back to his primary school days with old manual wind pieces and cheap quartz.

Benjamin is an experienced designer and engineer who has made an incredible effort to bring back this iconic ‘Dirty Dozen’ watch from virtual extinction. His desire to produce a Swiss-Made watch has been at the forefront of this project and has seen several visits to Switzerland to access Timor (or rather the parent company) archives and meet with movement and parts manufacturers. He talks with such passion about the brand and the watch that you can’t help but be impressed.
    His attention to design and manufacture detail is incredible and I’ll explain as I share more about the watch.

So, the watch.

It’s beautiful.

Case
    At 36mm it’s simply perfect for the design and heritage. He’s made the lugs slightly shorter than the original (which I also saw today) which I think is an improvement. He believes the watch should be worn on a fabric strap which also influenced the lug length so to minimise the ‘gapping’ on a nato strap.

The bead-blasted finish on the model I saw was flawless and suits the watch perfectly, as it did with the original seventy year old watch. If the finish on the original has stood up to 70 years of abuse, why change it?

The lugs at 18mm are perfectly proportioned.
    Now I said he had an incredible attention to detail. The crown-side profile shot below shows that there’s a stepped profile from the crystal to the case body and that’s in-keeping with the original. Benjamin wanted the case to look and feel symmetrical on the profile edge so has very subtly replicated that stepping on the underside of the case. I didn’t notice it at first but it works so well.
    Fixed bars were considered and dismissed due to not adding sufficient value to the watch when shoulderless bars will work very well (I know this will be contentious here).

Movement
    Benjamin has worked with Sellita to produce this movement. On this thread there has been some challenge to his claim that the movement has been created for this watch but actually ithas. Not only has the dead date setting been removed but other movement mechanisms have been removed or altered at Benjamin’s request. So this movement is unique to this watch.

The watch will have automatic and manual-wind options when purchased. I saw both today. The winding of the crown is lovely; smooth with just the right amount of resistance. A slightly wider crown than the original is a deliberate choice as he, like me, enjoys the daily ritual of winding a watch and this crown makes that experience easier (not as tricky to grip) and more tactile.

Dial & Hands
    The majority of the dial is matt black with both white and creamy markings / plots. Again, this is how the originals were released and the MWR members provided that input. It works well in creating a very legible dial.

The sub-seconds dial has also been the subject of a few comments here. Due to the position of the hand in the movement it absolutely has to be there on the dial. On the website images it looks as through the sub-dial nibbles the 7 and 5 more than the original. This in fact is correct and by less than 0.5mm. In reality, it’s unnoticeable (at least to me).
    The hands are lovely, reflecting the design and dimensions of the original with the critical triangular ends done immaculately.

My personal preference would have been for the sub-dial to have the same matt finish as the rest of the dial but it does give a nice contrast when you wear it.
    The second hand is currently parallel however the actual hand will be tapered as per the original.

Straps
    The black nato is very high quality and will be improved by having a blasted finish to the hardware when you buy the watch. The A 0210 is a fantastic touch that really adds authenticity and is also of excellent quality.

Kickstarter
    The aim is to have the kickstarter open in February 2020 with watches being available in November 2020. The first batch of purchasers will get a significant discount compared to the price.
    I’m currently checking with Benjamin whether I’m at liberty to share the price structure yet.

Conclusion & Disclaimer
    The watch is stunning and designed and manufactured with such passion and commitment to doing justice to the original.

I’m not involved in this project, nor did I receive payment or incentive for this review. I’m volunteering my time to help a fellow enthusiast realise his dream.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 14th January 2020 at 16:33.

Craftsman
    Thank you very much for the comprehensive update

I’m extremely tempted, let’s see what the KS price structure looks like

I'm tempted too thanks for infos!

That is a thing of beauty!

Looks good
    I am eagerly awaiting the KS release date.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time to write this and lost pictures. It looks like a solid watch.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Is the watch on the left supposed to look like the one on the right?

If so, he's missed it by miles. Almost nothing is in correct proportion, the bezel in particular is too wide, which ruins the look.

Mixing fauxtina lume with white is especially harrowing...

Oh well, each to his own, sure it'll get plenty of buyers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is the water resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

If so, he's missed it by miles. Almost nothing is in correct proportion, the bezel in particular is too wide, which ruins the look.

+1 it makes me wonder what the color of the dial print was... white?

Thanks so much @Takethecanelloni for that review, great to read and love the pics. Really pleased to hear the second hand will be tapered on release.

I'm big time hoping I'll be able to get in on this, will need to be quick on the super early bird but even then it's a big ask with our current funds(or lack of).

Want one to go with my original....

That’s the one question I forgot to ask - sorry. I’ll find out.

What is the water resistance?

Craftsman
    I love a military watch and this one is interesting. The seconds dial though is very unbalanced to me and upsets the whole look of the watch.

I too would like to see the WR
    I really appreciate the review, and it is good news that the second hand will be tapered.
    Is there any plan to shorten the hour hand? Look at the comparison piccy, the minute hand misses the 10 numeral completely on the original, and is halfway across the 0 on the re-issue.

I will be watching the campaign with interest.
    D

Craftsman
    Thanks for taking the time to review it and share the pictures

Very interested in the kick starter

Master
    Blog Entries
    More pictures never hurt...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

I was very excited about this watch, they seemed to want to stay close to the original but the new version is worlds apart from the original. The super thick bezel makes the original look svelte and refined in comparison.

It's a real pity it couldn't just be a reissue or at least a lot closer to the original design. As it stands, it's a lot less interesting to me.

Thanks so much @Takethecanelloni for that review, great to read and love the pics. Really pleased to hear the second hand will be tapered on release.

I'm big time hoping I'll be able to get in on this, will need to be quick on the super early bird but even then it's a big ask with our current funds(or lack of).

Want one to go with my original....

Oh my. What a treasure!

In response to the two outstanding questions, the water resistance will be 50m (push/pull crown) and the price I'm able to communicate at the moment is less than £1000. Obviously there will be discounts available on the Kickstarter.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Less than £1,000 sounds a bit ominous, hope it isn't just below as I think that will be a stretch for most folk even with Kickstarter discounts.

At least not long to find out, really hope to be backing it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This makes the PRS29 look a bargain and it’s rated 100m.

This makes the PRS29 look a bargain and it’s rated 100m.
    PRS29 is a bargain. I've never seen more watch for the money

I know. It’s a shame as the Timor is a cracking watch, it’s just less watch for double the price of the PRS29.

Alternatively the PRS29 could be (definitely is) under priced.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    PRS29 is a bargain. I've never seen more watch for the money

Arabic numerals BIGGER please! Case thinner please! Sub-dial smaller please!

Craftsman
    I've had an email saying Kickstarter pricing is starting at £650

Craftsman
    Kickstarter has not opened yet, but information email has been sent out.
    Opening date 20th Feb, pricing £650, but there will be options.

Was just reading that email. I'll have to give it some consideration, was hoping for £500 tops so £650 would certainly be my limit... IF. At least have time to decide if I'm going to pounce on the early bird.

The final price will be closer to £950 if that helps.

Was just reading that email. I'll have to give it some consideration, was hoping for £500 tops so £650 would certainly be my limit... IF. At least have time to decide if I'm going to pounce on the early bird.

The return of Timor. WWW homage.

As the bars are not fixed I would have preferred it with drilled lugs.

I love how the wording kept referring to the Kickstarter camping, I must remember my sleeping bag 😄

If I can get an early bird at £650 I will jump at it
    If I don’t I think I will give it a miss.
    I like the idea and the look of the watch, just not enough to part with £950.

Craftsman
    I was so excited for this but Going by how it's so different from the original timor, even 650 was a stretch for me. Too many nicer watches of similar or higher quality at lower price points.

There was so much potential here but due to design decisions and price it's a non runner for me.