closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beat this for stupidity

Beat this for stupidity

Someone I know said to me that the steering wheel keeps shaking on her mini, she had called a mobile mechanic but he hadn’t turned up, I said I’ll pop over and take a look, I got there and the fault was immediately obvious, both front tyres were completely flat and obviously overheated, I said your front tyres are flat, her husband replied “that’s ok, they’re runflats” he was dead serious and they had been driving it like this for three months.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed near cars.

Hahahaha that's quite a good one actually.

If that's how run flats work why do people bother pumping them up?!

The thing that really grinds my gears with these people is that I couldn't give a toss about them or their car, but I could be driving on the same road, at the exact same moment their total lack of sense manifests as a blowout or loss of control and they pile into me and my family. Or any other innocent driver going about their daily business.

Just WTF???

Grand Master
    There are numerous things drivers do that have me wonder how and why they ever got a licence!.

I was under the impression that RFT's on Mini's don't obviously deform, or rather not so noticeable - at least at first.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I was under the impression that RFT's on Mini's don't obviously deform, or rather not so noticeable - at least at first.

R
    The sidewalls were like sponge, I’m not sure what they can take but pretty sure they are just supposed to get you home

The AA say 50 miles https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...run-flat-tyres
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th December 2019 at 19:51.

Craftsman
    A lot of friends and family consult me with car issues as I am considered the car guy lol.

Most are completely oblivious to the maintenance and upkeep requirements of their chosen vehicles.

Case in point

Last week wifes friend gets in touch...flat tyre.

I go with pump and wheel change kit.

Blow tyre up on car...hissing.

No problem change wheel.

Spare out of boot...flat...try to blow up...hissing...foreign object stuck in it.

Her reply.....well it had an MOT last month.

Pmsl....of course as usual it was raining...not amusing at all.

Unbelievable but believable. Literally laughed out loud

They deserve each other , I feel...

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    There are numerous things drivers do that have me wonder how and why they ever got a licence!.
    I think that every single day

Craftsman
    Dont runflats make a horrendous noise when running flat?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The thing that really grinds my gears with these people is that I couldn't give a toss about them or their car, but I could be driving on the same road, at the exact same moment their total lack of sense manifests as a blowout or loss of control and they pile into me and my family. Or any other innocent driver going about their daily business.

Just WTF???
    Like the other drivers on this road in Australia ..

Master
    Oh dear!

Reminded me of a couple down the road from me, they have a Range Rover and a mini and both have one flat tyre, I’m being conservative to say the mini has had a flat for at least 2 years and it sits there squashed flat (it’s parked on the road)

Abandoned? Nope! They still use the car and have one of those electric pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter. I often go past and see it being inflated so they can drive and the next day it’ll be flat as a pancake!

Can you imagine even putting up with doing that for 2 episodes!

The Range Rover also has a puncture/leak too but that seems to go down a lot slower but I’ve noticed that flat a lot of times for a good year or so too.

Madness.

People and cars do wind me up in situations like this, part of a driving test should include basic maintenance especially in this day and age where people are a lot less knowledgeable on cars.

Simple things like bulbs blown, checking oil, tyre pressures and understanding your warning lights, all things that not only help and save you money but also protect other road users.

The OP’s post in funny in once sense but also ridiculously dangerous and stupid in another..

R
    Not a Mini but my RFT's (255-19-30) didn't deform at all, and there was no noticable difference to the touch.

I bought the car secondhand and had been driving around for a couple of weeks before taking it to a garage to check the tyre pressures. There was zero air in each of the rears. The TPMS had not been set, so display didn't alert an error. I bought two new replacements as a precaution, but there was little difference in the drive and handling once fitted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Oh dear!

Reminded me of a couple down the road from me, they have a Range Rover and a mini and both have one flat tyre, I’m being conservative to say the mini has had a flat for at least 2 years and it sits there squashed flat (it’s parked on the road)

Abandoned? Nope! They still use the car and have one of those electric pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter. I often go past and see it being inflated so they can drive and the next day it’ll be flat as a pancake!

The Range Rover also has a puncture/leak too but that seems to go down a lot slower but I’ve noticed that flat a lot of times for a good year or so too.

Madness.
    Sounds like both cars are 'rented' on lease so they refuse to spend any extra?

Craftsman
    We had a lady bring her car in for a service once and she asked us to check the antifreeze. I told her we did that automatically as part of the service. When we checked it, it was fine and we told her so when she collected the car. Two days later she came back ranting and raving that we hadn’t checked her antifreeze. “What makes you think that"? I asked. "Because the last two mornings I’ve come out to go to work and the car has been covered with frost"! She was serious and even when I explained the purpose of antifreeze, she left without apologising, still convinced that I was telling her a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Not a Mini but my RFT's (255-19-30) didn't deform at all, and there was no noticable difference to the touch.

I bought the car secondhand and had been driving around for a couple of weeks before taking it to a garage to check the tyre pressures. There was zero air in each of the rears. The TPMS had not been set, so display didn't alert an error. I bought two new replacements as a precaution, but there was little difference in the drive and handling once fitted.
    In fairness that looks like a tyre on sports BMW or the like with very stiff sidewalls, I have a car that uses Pirelli Trofeo R’s the sidewalls are so stiff that they don’t go down at all even with no air in them, tyre fitters hate them and they are not runflats, however if you pushed them like that they would soon overheat.
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th December 2019 at 21:13.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    We had a lady bring her car in for a service once and she asked us to check the antifreeze. I told her we did that automatically as part of the service. When we checked it, it was fine and we told her so when she collected the car. Two days later she came back ranting and raving that we hadn’t checked her antifreeze. “What makes you think that"? I asked. "Because the last two mornings I’ve come out to go to work and the car has been covered with frost"! She was serious and even when I explained the purpose of antifreeze, she left without apologising, still convinced that I was telling her a lie!
    That’s absolutely brilliant, made me laugh but sadly utterly believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The thing about common sense is that it isn’t very common.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Madness, some people are very intelligent but have absolutely zero common sense.

I had an online business where you choose a product and select a quantity, a lady called me with a voice like a middle class surfer after a couple of joints and asked - so what is quantity? I was bit stumped so explained in plain English but she still said - so I don’t really get this quantity, time to hang up!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    In fairness that looks like a tyre on sports BMW or the like with very stiff sidewalls
    Yep, and I'll be swapping them out for non RFT's when the time comes.

Oh dear!

Madness.
    My next door but one neighbour spends 15 minutes every other morning pumping up one of his tyres with a crappy fag lighter compressor. Rain or shine, there he is, pumping away, when I asked him why he didn’t get a new tyre, ‘have you seen how much tyres are!’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Sounds like both cars are 'rented' on lease so they refuse to spend any extra?
    They’re both around ten year old cars I’d guess.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    My next door but one neighbour spends 15 minutes every other morning pumping up one of his tyres with a crappy fag lighter compressor. Rain or shine, there he is, pumping away, when I asked him why he didn’t get a new tyre, ‘have you seen how much tyres are!’
    Not Ashford is it haha!

I’ve just gone past it on my way out shooting and chuckled about it after the post, I almost took a pic. Maybe I will on way home.

I’ve been tempted to put a note on it honestly, imagine the state of the inside wall of the tyre. They literally eat themselves up inside when low.

Isn't that why there's new legislation which will require all cars supplied with run flats to have a TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)?

To be fair, the whole point of run flats is that it should be possible to get a puncture without it materially affecting the car's handling, so a very large percentage of the driving public wouldn't have a clue that they have a punctured tyre.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

To be fair, the whole point of run flats is that it should be possible to get a puncture without it materially affecting the car's handling, so a very large percentage of the driving public wouldn't have a clue that they have a punctured tyre
    that’s what worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Isn't that why there's new legislation which will require all cars supplied with run flats to have a TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)?

To be fair, the whole point of run flats is that it should be possible to get a puncture without it materially affecting the car's handling, so a very large percentage of the driving public wouldn't have a clue that they have a punctured tyre.
    To the point of getting to your destination at 50mph and then effecting a replacement.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Someone I know said to me that the steering wheel keeps shaking on her mini, she had called a mobile mechanic but he hadn’t turned up, I said I’ll pop over and take a look, I got there and the fault was immediately obvious, both front tyres were completely flat and obviously overheated, I said your front tyres are flat, her husband replied “that’s ok, they’re runflats” he was dead serious and they had been driving it like this for three months.

Imagine how dangerous they could be we driver assistance functions "I thought that the car was driving"

B

Master
    My wife's old work mate had a puncture in her tyre and my Mrs said I would change it for her the flat one had 2 mm of tread the rest were completely bald and she commuted from Coventry to Leicester every day, I said the cops would throw away the key if they caught her and her husband was a fireman who would have attended a few car wrecks so should have known better

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    My wife's old work mate had a puncture in her tyre and my Mrs said I would change it for her the flat one had 2 mm of tread the rest were completely bald and she commuted from Coventry to Leicester every day, I said the cops would throw away the key if they caught her and her husband was a fireman who would have attended a few car wrecks so should have known better
    Menaces!

Just reminded me of another one. Went out to my van the other day and a car was parked next to it, looked down and the front tyre (steering was full left) was completely bald and wire showing, it was fit for bursting and wire was all torn up on the inside too.

Just then a girl appears, prob early 20’s carrying a little kid. She unlocks the car... I said to her you know your tyre is completely knackered and very dangerous right? She knew but reckoned she “just noticed yesterday”. Yeah ok love!

Menaces!

Just reminded me of another one. Went out to my van the other day and a car was parked next to it, looked down and the front tyre (steering was full left) was completely bald and wire showing, it was fit for bursting and wire was all torn up on the inside too.

Just then a girl appears, prob early 20’s carrying a little kid. She unlocks the car... I said to her you know your tyre is completely knackered and very dangerous right? She knew but reckoned she “just noticed yesterday”. Yeah ok love!
    For the safety of her and her child, you should have offered to swap it over with the spare...

That is Grade A stupidity - no question.

Given that all cars with run-flats have to have tyre pressure sensors, presumably they just ignored those warning lights too for months?

Incredible.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Struggling a bit with that last bit - how had they not disintegrated?

We really need a basic IQ test as part of the driving test. Too many registered hard-of-thinking on the roads.

I know the Ford Gt goes into limp home if the tyre pressures are much to low, maybe all cars should do this.

Master
    Some people should not be allowed to breed.