closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Guns & Roses live at Spurs £135 plus booking fee!

Guns & Roses live at Spurs £135 plus booking fee!

I'm no skin flint, and have seen many great bands in the last 45 years. But £135 plus booking is the cheapest seat to see G&R at the new Tottenham stadium. As with football you can keep your A list events, it's just become a joke. Good luck to them if they can screw a few more quid from their fans. You won't be getting a bean from me.

Having said that I saw Steve Hackett from Genesis a fortnight ago for a 10th of the G&R's price and he was superb worth every penny. Oh was the day when you could see Led Zeppelin for a quid!

Master
    That's now the going rate for major acts. In fact The Eagles set a highest average price in LV a couple of weeks ago, taking $18 million over 3 nights. Steve Hackett is a gtr player from the 70s. GnR have a mammoth world tour with big grosses and people will pay. Quite staggering how much money is out there. Saw the other week that Bon Jovi was the 5th biggest act of the last 10 years grossing over $800 million dollars. I dont know what % Bon Jovi gets but I would imagine it's a big chunk.

Master
    Not at their best either at their age, saw the Stones in 95 they were too old...even back then.

Used to be that tours were to boost album/single sales........

Now that is reversed, and it is tours and merchandise that are the cash-cows.

My taste now -is for bands like “The Classic Rock Show” - no overproduction, just faithfully reproduced classic sounds - WYSIWYG. £45.

Master
    See they have added a 2nd night. Money to be made is staggering. U2 have grossed over$1 billion in the last decade. Billboard have a list of the top earners. Stones are just behind U2. The trick is to get the most money for the least gigs.

Touring is where the money is since the bottom fell out of album/single sales with the advent of Spotify etc. We payed just shy of £300 to see Muse at the O2 recently, bonkers money. Thankfully there’s still bands like Queens of the Stone Age around, £30 to see them at the O2 last year.

Craftsman
    Saw GnR on the Chinese Democracy tour in 2002.

Axl arrived about 90mins late and was in a right strop. Gig over ran meaning we missed the last train home and had to get a cab for £150 back to the Midlands. Never again.

The ‘Illusion’ albums are biblical and have some of their best material on them IMO: Civil War, Coma, Breakdown, Estranged.

I’m off work today, wonder what I should spend all day listening to.

Woah there's no way I would spend £150 to see see any group, if I have the urge to see a fat, bloated, balding rocker at the Twilight of his career I'll just check myself out in the mirror.
    Rock on!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My son is a big fan and has already bought tickets.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I'd buy if it included a few free punches at AR. Total arsehat! And I say that as someone who regularly quotes AFD as the best album ever made

My wife (and I) really wanted to go, so we did pay £165 / ticket to see Fleetwood Mac this summer.

They were decent seats, but it was way too much really.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Can’t remember how much my ticket was in 1987- but it was probably less than a tenner!
    I agree tickets are getting ridiculous now- I’ve recently bought tickets for Pearl Jam at Hyde Park next summer - they were £89 each. I wouldn’t normally pay that,but as they’re probably one of my favourite bands and I’ve never got round to seeing them in the past it had to be done,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do struggle with the ticket prices these days, and they've been steadily creeping up over the last few years.

I'm lucky to have grown up in a time (probably like quite a few others here) where I was able to see many of the (now legendary) bands of the time for what now seems like beer money.

I don't remember the exact cost of the tickets now but most were probably around £3 to £5 @ Sophia Gdns Pav or the Top Rank Suite/Students Union/coal exchange etc. A few bands that come to mind would be U2, The undertones, Thin Lizzy, Ozzy, Gillan, Squeeze, Motorhead, Dio etc etc

Even those a little further afield were just a bit more. Reading in 1983 was £16! £16 for 3 days! Oh for a time machine :)

Clearly the revenue from albums sales today is nothing like it was and live shows are now the cash generators themselves rather than a way to promote album sales. A clear sign of the (streaming) times I guess. I would struggle to justify paying £135 to see GnR (or anyone else TBH).

That said I'm going to see Alter Bridge @ a little over £50 each on Friday. That's about the max I'm happy to go to these days (for a tightwad like me anyway :)

Ticket prices are crazy now! I realise I'm talking early eighties prices but I saw Iron Maiden, The Kinks, Whitesnake, Rainbow etc in the then quite new Saint David's Hall, all under or at most a fiver each. Tears For Fears, and OMD in the Top Rank in Cardiff Queen Street for about four quid each.
    Glastonbury 1987 was £15 if I remember correctly.
    We went to see The Stones in the Principality Stadium at over £100 each to watch ants on a stage we were so far up in the rafters, they were great but that's my last big stadium gig. I believe the seats in front were about £750!!!!!!
    Compare that to Pembroke Castle last summer, Dr.Feelgood, Bonnie Tyler (a game old bird fair play), and Status Quo. All three pulled the stops out especially Mr.Rossi, we were right in the front, about forty quid each. That's about as big or as expensive as I want to go now. Excellent atmosphere, incredible venue, a few pints and two tickets for under a tonne.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Mate paid 110 for Aerosmith at Mcr next year. Top end was 142 for standing!!!! 130 seems to be the bar at the moment but will rise soon when the next mega act tours. Multi millionaires becoming multi millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    My wife (and I) really wanted to go, so we did pay £165 / ticket to see Fleetwood Mac this summer.

They were decent seats, but it was way too much really.
    Was that with Neil Finn where they did some Crowded House songs? I just thought it a weird combination.

I’m very fortunate in that my wife’s employer has a box at the Royal Albert Hall and they charge £25 a ticket which all goes to charity. We’ve seen David Gilmour, Sheryl Crow and so many others for that price.

Guns do a good show.

Bizarre discussion on a watch forum where people pay astronomical money beyond the average Joe.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Guns do a good show.

Bizarre discussion on a watch forum where people pay astronomical money beyond the average Joe.
    This is so true. The consumer and market will decide. If nobody turns up at a gig they'll know they got it wrong. If it's a full house Happy days!

Big bands are getting silly money to see live, add in travel, accommodation, meal and a few beers and its ridiculous, saying that I seen KISS on their final tour this year and they really pulled out all the stops and made the £70 ticket admission worthwhile.

For now I'm happy seeing Steel Panther at a local venue, cracking band!
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 19th December 2019 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Mate paid 110 for Aerosmith at Mcr next year. Top end was 142 for standing!!!! 130 seems to be the bar at the moment but will rise soon when the next mega act tours. Multi millionaires becoming multi millionaires.
    Past it now..saw them in 2007. Paid £200 a ticket then for the 'VIP' experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Guns & Roses live at Spurs £135 plus booking fee!

The missus was browsing Facebook last night, and saw that after signing records at Banquet records in Kingston, Stormzy had agreed to do an ‘intimate’ gig at the Rose Theatre, also in Kingston.

She was passing Banquet records in Eden Street today at 11am today and popped in to see if there were any tickets left, as they went on sale at that time today.

Unbelievably there where only 2 people in the queue in front of her, and she picked 3 tickets up for, wait for it, a total of £55 (and that included 2 CDs!)

We later found out it sold out in seconds online. Right time and right place and all that.

Two fifty year olds and our teenage son at a Stormzy gig should be interesting.

My older son heads back to uni the day before, so he’s gutted.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 2nd January 2020 at 19:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish I was at this one, imagine the price this would cost nowadays.

I was at this one, right at the front.

fallout new vegas ending music

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I was at this one, imagine the price this would cost nowadays.

I was at this one, right at the front.

fallout new vegas ending music

And I thought this was a lot of money!

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I very much doubt any of these gigs was more than £20. Going to see Martin Turners Wishbone Ash in a couple of weeks £18, much better the GNR’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    That's now the going rate for major acts. In fact The Eagles set a highest average price in LV a couple of weeks ago, taking $18 million over 3 nights. Steve Hackett is a gtr player from the 70s. GnR have a mammoth world tour with big grosses and people will pay. Quite staggering how much money is out there. Saw the other week that Bon Jovi was the 5th biggest act of the last 10 years grossing over $800 million dollars. I dont know what % Bon Jovi gets but I would imagine it's a big chunk.
    Thing about seeing acts in LV is that it is generally in a custom built venue - I saw Def Leppard before Christmas and it was great. You watch someone in a football stadium and whacking up the volume seems to be the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I very much doubt any of these gigs was more than £20.
    Probably because it was then more of a promotion aimed at making wheelbarrows full of cash, selling circular discs of polyvinyl chloride.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Probably because it was then more of a promotion aimed at making wheelbarrows full of cash, selling circular discs of polyvinyl chloride.
    but also musicians back in the day, did it for a living. I toured with the Feelgoods, no harder working band exist, they made a few quid but not really what you could call wealthy. They loved it.

Master
    Compact discs generated even more money. But the big acts are actually making more because they control the money coming in, not getting advances they have to pay back. I'm guessing some smart accountancy let's them set up touring companies that pay out the money and the band/artist pay themselves via these companies they own. U2 and the Stones are registered in the Dutch East Antilles

Saw GNR in 2006, 2010 and 2017, the last one the closest you could get to the Illusion shows from the 1990s. No corners cut on the band's side and worth every penny. I value gigs more than watches, you get experiences and memories no one can ever take from you, unlike a physical object.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Saw GNR in 2006, 2010 and 2017, the last one the closest you could get to the Illusion shows from the 1990s. No corners cut on the band's side and worth every penny. I value gigs more than watches, you get experiences and memories no one can ever take from you, unlike a physical object.
    I agree with your sentiment and usually see a live band once ever couple of months. I've seen many fantastic artists and met many of them. But I'm going to pass on £150 tickets. I saw Axl with AC/DC a couple of years ago, he did a good job, but sitting in a huge sports stadium is not really how I enjoy my music. Seeing Wishbone Ash in a small venue with great sound, is more my thing these days. Enjoy the show if your going!

Nope, I didn't intend to see them in London, just wanted to voice that the gig while not cheap is likely to be the money's worth. I'll have a look at where else they're going to play in Europe, though. As for sitting in a stadium, I only did it once (U2, 2005) and won't ever again. Pitch is the way to go, always. ;-)