closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pam, Monaco or Milgauss?

Pam, Monaco or Milgauss?

1st world problems I know, but I'm after either a PAM (as sterile as can be) , a Monaco (i like most of them but prefer the early ones) or a Milgauss (not much flexibility here theres only 3 affordable variations at the moment).

I like them all, want them all but can only afford one at the moment.

(Even then it means selling one as the one-in-one-out rule applies in order to qualify for a subsidy from the Mrs towards it; being that time if the year and all that...)

So just wondering out there which would you choose and why?
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 18th December 2019 at 16:02.

Panerai - I've got two and think a collection could always do with one. Bit also depends if you've had any in the past?

Monaco - not a fan

Milgauss - one of the current fav Rolex. Especially the black GV model. Tried many times but not owned one yet, timing never right. But one I really do want to try.

For me personally, it would be the Milgauss, but only because I have Panerai covered.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Panerai - I've got two and think a collection could always do with one. Bit also depends if you've had any in the past?

Monaco - not a fan

Milgauss - one of the current fav Rolex. Especially the black GV model. Tried many times but not owned one yet, timing never right. But one I really do want to try.

For me personally, it would be the Milgauss, but only because I have Panerai covered.
    Lucky you to have two... I think they will breed if I get one - that is what I am afraid of.
    I dont have a pam yet... tried them on and borrowed many times in the past and they work for me so very tempted but too many options and variations out there its doing my head in.
    Some cheap Monacos in japan at the moment for some reason - but am drifting away from that option...
    as for the Milgauss - I didn't even consider it until my friend has one for sale and its a GV - he sold it but it fell through and its suddenly available again.

All very distinctive watches, but for me the Milgauss by a mile. The Black or Blue dial with the green tinted crystal over the White dial which looks like the poor relation out of the three.

Rad or lum pam? have a 372 and love it,just got a 753 rad ,think its the cheapest they do and its a great watch,very impressed with it and its so comfortable
    Monaco not my thing
    Milgauss ,so ,so

Blog Entries
    Only one of those I have is a Panerai, a 312. 1950’s case, sandwich dial and in house. Perfect 👏🏼

I do fancy trying a Monaco one day and can see the appeal.

Good luck with the search.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Go for either Milgauss Blue GV or White, the black GV is all over the place.

The Milgauss is top heavy so you'll need to factor that in when deciding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    PAM. If you can carry off a 47mm then a 372, 232 or 720. If not then I would probably go 44mm Luminor Bettarini case, sandwich dial and it would be if you prefer no seconds or a marina with seconds - would be a 590 or a 111 for me.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the milgauss. With a one in one out rule you won’t loose much when you move it on and a lot of watch for the money.
    Standard black as I love the graphite dial colour that’s just not on another Rolex.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    black milgauss or pam (372 if you can do 47mm)

For me it’s between a McQueen Monaco or a blue Milgauss and being a Rolex fanboy I’d have to pick the Milgauss!

I'll give the Monaco a vote for the simple fact that I love the design.

All great watches but value /desirability aside that would be my choice.

Slightly contrary answer, maybe but...
    Of the three, I'd recommend the Milgauss (black). Would I swap my PAM005 for one? Ignoring the value side of things, I'd think for a while then politely decline.
    I tried so hard to like the Monaco but couldn't.
    I will have a Milgauss at some point. In part because I'm an engineer so it's either the Milgauss or the IWC Ingenieur for me, possibly when I retire and stop being an engineer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Go for either Milgauss Blue GV or White, the black GV is all over the place.

The Milgauss is top heavy so you'll need to factor that in when deciding!

Interested in why you think the black GV is all
    over the place? I much prefer it over the blue and I don’t find it top heavy either.

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    I never thought I’d see so much love for the Milgauss... Opinions have changed on here, as before steelsportshortagegate they were most definitely the ugly ducklings of the contemporary Rolex line-up.

There are 4 models within reach for you not 3 - the discontinued black dial / clear glass; the black dial GV; the discontinued white dial, and the Z-blue.

I own the black dial / clear glass model, which as someone has already noted is more grey than black; and has something about it I can’t describe other than to say I never get bored wearing it. In my time on this forum that can’t be said for too many watches.

My vote would be for the Milgauss. Particularly as the tech has been totally usurped. It’s a future museum piece, likely to be discontinued and never replaced.

More than that, I think they look great. And a little different to your standard DJ or SS

Craftsman

Black GV, the only model with contrasting markers at 3, 6 and 9. I love these but can understand why they may be a bit much for some tastes.

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    Milgauss all day long for me - but then, I am biased

Oh dear, I think this is 3 on the trot!

Not the best photo I’m afraid. Every time one of these threads pops up I realise I’ve no good pictures of my ‘best’ watch. I don’t wear it nearly enough, usually picking one of my Tudors instead. When I do though, I spend ages just staring at the dial, hands and well, just everything. I had a brief period of buyers remorse, as I had the choice of this or the blue, which had a lot going for it. However, I’m pleased I eventually went for this one. It draws me in. I’m almost on the verge of getting out of bed for a quick look....

Nice choice to have BTW. Enjoy choosing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're on a roll now....

As said above, those contrasting markers at 3/6/9 are a nice touch on the black GV. The Z-Blue gets a lot of adoration online, but for me, it was one colour too many.

Its a well balanced watch on the wrist. Thicker because of that Faraday cage, but wears well. Clasp is a lovely thing - with an easy link for warm wrist days and hidden micro adjustment inside the clasp.

Master
    Z Blue hands down is my favourite watch, it’s my go to watch and has travelled all over America, Afghan and numerous other places for work and pleasure. It’s a solid fun watch that I am forever starring at. This post has made me get mine out again and wear it now.

Indeed I am suprised to see so much love for the Milgauss... I do not like the blue one, love the ones in the photos (and is the one my mate has for sale) the black GV. hmmm I know the second I put one on the wrist I wont want to take it off hence have resisted so far.

PAMs still going strong too - I can pull off a 47mm even though my wrists are tiny...

Monacos - I would now only go for an original microrotor one.... but a good one is a milgauss and a bit

Craftsman
    Too help balance things out a little :)

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Indeed I am suprised to see so much love for the Milgauss... I do not like the blue one, love the ones in the photos (and is the one my mate has for sale) the black GV. hmmm I know the second I put one on the wrist I wont want to take it off hence have resisted so far.

PAMs still going strong too - I can pull off a 47mm even though my wrists are tiny...

Monacos - I would now only go for an original microrotor one.... but a good one is a milgauss and a bit
    There were when I last checked a few PAMs for sale on SC at decent prices including a 111 and 176. So you have options

Master
    Mine:

Journeyman
    Definitely a PAM! Im not really fan of the Monaco, and for me an old school PAM has bags more character than a Milgauss. If you’re after an easy low risk ‘head not heart’ decision then the Rolex is the sensible choice but life would be boring if we always took the safe option :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capcarrot View Post
    If you’re after an easy low risk ‘head not heart’ decision then the Rolex is the sensible choice but life would be boring if we always took the safe option :)

TZ-UK mobile app
    You are coming at that from a very recent perspective. If it's the case at all, it's only the continued steel sports shortage having a trickle-down effect onto first the ExpII, then the Milgauss & a few other models over the last year to 18 months.

The Milgauss is famously the unpopular model in the modern steel sports line-up, and was always a 'heart not head' option!

Master
    My tuppence worth. Old school PAM

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Had a Monaco and a Milgauss. Both great watches in their own right and do different things well but I am now looking to get a Panerai. Not sure how this helps with your decision but whatever you got for now, you will still end up lusting over the others. It is human nature in this day and age.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    You are coming at that from a very recent perspective. If it's the case at all, it's only the continued steel sports shortage having a trickle-down effect onto first the ExpII, then the Milgauss & a few other models over the last year to 18 months.

The Milgauss is famously the unpopular model in the modern steel sports line-up, and was always a 'heart not head' option!
    Definitely a fair point if we’re just talking price risk. I was too lazy to maje it clear that ‘low risk’ also meant on the practical side of things ie I rather suspect the Milgauss would be less likely to give any mechanical grief over the years than a PAM would (but again, that all just adds to the PAM experience!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    My tuppence worth. Old school PAM

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Beauty!

Milgauss all the way

Master
    I have a Monaco so it would have to be a PAM, no interest in Rolex.

Well i got to try on the Milgauss.... But my mate he also had a 1675 for sale... which I tried on also ... but its three times the price.... hmmmm so nice and wears larger that a sub but thinner
    anyway cut a long story short have been given an excellent price on the Milgauss... so I think I may be able to squeeze in a PAM soon too...

Blue Milgauss, I bought one earlier in the year, it is a great looking watch sort of plain and elegant until you have a close look, I couldn't believe how much Watchfinder want for one though.

Black GV

just the nicest looking imo, and different enough.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    My favourite Rolex hands down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The Black or Blue dial with the green tinted crystal over the White dial which looks like the poor relation out of the three.
    How very dare you! I love my white one!

This thread has really got me intrigued by the Milgauss.

How do owners with wrists that are on the slender side feel about the way it wears?

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post

How do owners with wrists that are on the slender side feel about the way it wears?
    They wear fine; just don't try reading a blue dial GV in an artificially lit pub (say). Gorgeous watch but legibility is a disaster...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    They wear fine; just don't try reading a blue dial GV in an artificially lit pub (say). Gorgeous watch but legibility is a disaster...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, I think I need to try one in the flesh.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could do that at an AD!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    Sounds like a perfect excuse for a late return home.

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Thanks, I think I need to try one in the flesh.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could do that at an AD!?
    I’m definitely a member of the slender wrist club and find my Milgauss chunky but in a very small wrist friendly sort of way!

I can’t believe how privileged I feel to have been in the position to actually try on more than one variation in the dim and distant past, all of 14 months ago. Ah, the good old days....

Craftsman

Z Blue, looks fantastic

Master
    Have had all 4 Milgauss (most held for many years) but all now gone.
    Have had a Re-issue Monaco - now gone.
    All I wear these days are Panerai.

OP - you mention as sterile as possible, however I would recommend getting one that has a domed crystal as a minimum, it makes such a difference. I would say that a first (and only if you can resist - which is hard to do) Panerai then the 233 is perfect. Read this and resist :) https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252365

hardboiled school: PAM 372

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post

Z Blue, looks fantastic

Agreed.

Every time I think of selling mine I remember why I bought it in the first place.

Journeyman
    Of those three, the Milgauss. The Monaco is not in the same league and you’d be far better off with a JLC anything.

I would take the Monaco, as long as it is the Calibre 11. They are just a cool and unique design. I like every the blue of the dial, and the contrasting red accents. I can’t believe the love for the Milgauss, fine quality, but it’s just so anonymous.

D

I would prefer the Monaco:P