closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 42mm Yachtmaster, canvassing opinion!

Master

42mm Yachtmaster, canvassing opinion!

I am pretty sure what i might do, however just gauging opinion as its a step up in material and price for me.

Just had a call saying a 42mm Yachtmaster is mine if i want it at current retail, pre increase.

Got to try it earlier in the year, the oysterflex is very comfortable, the dial extremely legible and with the black bezel with black numerals very stealthy.

So the €64000 question is do i go for it?? Its a hunk of money for a Yachtmaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That photo does not do the watch any justice. It is really nice in reality. If my lottery numbers come up, I would definitely buy one.

Is this steel or gold?

Craftsman
    I prefer the rose gold case but if you like it go for it.

nope - the older version is way nicer imo

I love it! 42mm, white gold, matt bezel, what's not to like. You won't lose on it if you don't bond.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch go for it but remember gold is quite soft
    Maybe one day they will do one in steel would then be a great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Lovely watch and perfect size but expensive.
    If you have the spare money and wrist size I would buy.

For me there's just too much Black going on, the strap, the bezel insert, the dial. When you think of the colours of some of the dials on previous models that had the platinum bezel - far nicer.

In all honesty if you had blacked out the name Rolex I would have said it was a Steinhart - sorry, but that's what it looks like.

Grand Master
    Definitely a thumbs- down from me, the bezel looks totally wrong. I liked the older versions, but not these. I don’t know what the price is but it’ll be big, it’s a lot to spend if you’re not sure.

Craftsman
    Looks awesome and something very different. If I had the cash I’d go for that in a heartbeat, but it would depend very much what else I have in my collection - I don’t think that works too well with a suit for instance.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs down also from me, when i try to read the dial all i see are hour markers. What is it with those over-sized plots?!

I’ve never liked the bezel on these, the Steinhart comparison above is apt.

Master
    I don't like the bezel. Everything else OK.

Master
    We spoke about this earlier and as I said I would totally go for it. The watch is stunning in the metal. I was offered one a few months ago and had I not been moving house I would have jumped at it.
    The only downside is that it will knock the CHNR back into the watch box most days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    nope - the older version is way nicer imo
    There is no older version. This is a new 42mm model in white gold.

OP I like it but I don't think I like it at that money. 7.5% isn't a big enough reason to buy now out of fear but if the blow can be softened with something in demand at the same time I would consider it. But it all depends how deep your pockets are, if something is going to find this etc.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 18th December 2019 at 14:09.

Journeyman
    I absolutely love this (as I was saying to Mark when I picked up a Seamaster from him yesterday), price is something else though! Could have a few other very nice watches on that budget

Craftsman

OK

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I love it! 42mm, white gold, matt bezel, what's not to like. You won't lose on it if you don't bond.

For the money these are currently sitting at RRP and even with the impending rise, there are far better watches out there for the level of outlay on a Yachtmaster. This is not a in demand piece, with plenty of them sitting in the Secondary market with the usual speculative prices and if you decide after a few months etc that this is not for you, then you will in my opinion take a loss of a few grand if not more.

Master
    I understand the “all black” comments and to be fair to the watch the matt bezel with polished numbers does look much better in the flesh than any pics I’ve seen.

The Steinhart comment, believe it or not, i take as a positive as i really like the fact that it seems that way, its not in your face.

I’m thinking sure you only live once!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    why ask you know in your heart if you want it,if so buy it.

The hour plots and hour hand look huge to me, lume must be amazing! The old YM was more distinctive while this version reminds me of a Bamford Sub creation.

Personally I think the rose gold suits the all black look better.

Craftsman
    Sorry not for me. But if you like it have it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's clear this Watch does divide opinion, a marmite watch if you like. I think that needs to be considered by the OP if he buys and later regrets or wants to flip. It won't be the same as trying to get shut of a White dial Ceramic Daytona.

Master
    The rose gold is very nice but 40mm and IMHO having tried it a few times wears smaller than that, certainly smaller than the CHNR.

After deliberation have said yes, will collect Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited by Nev; 18th December 2019 at 17:30. Reason: I cant spell

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    The rose gold is very nice but 40mm and IMHO having tried it a fee times wears smaller than that, certainly smaller than the CHNR.

Good decision, I agree about the rose gold model, as much as I love the look it wears a little small.

I have to say the picture you posted doesn't do the white gold model any justice at all. I had a meeting the other day with a guy who had one and in the metal it looks fantastic, a good size, not too bling and the bezel is rather nice too.

Congrats and I look forward to seeing some better pictures when you pick it up.

Master
    My picture is awful, i’ve nicked one from ‘tinterweb which hopefully shows it a little better

Craftsman
    Gorgeous watch! Congrats!

Master
    Assuming the 64k € question is just a pun ??!!

It’s a lovely watch but I think for a couple of k more the Daytona on oyster flex is much better imo

I am pretty sure what i might do, however just gauging opinion as its a step up in material and price for me.

Just had a call saying a 42mm Yachtmaster is mine if i want it at current retail, pre increase.

Got to try it earlier in the year, the oysterflex is very comfortable, the dial extremely legible and with the black bezel with black numerals very stealthy.

So the €64000 question is do i go for it?? Its a hunk of money for a Yachtmaster!

The rose gold is very nice but 40mm and IMHO having tried it a few times wears smaller than that, certainly smaller than the CHNR.

Congrats. How does this 42mm wear compared to the current 40mm maxi cases?

I love the watch - but:-

1. 42mm is just on the too large size for me, and

2. I find it difficult to get a snug and comfortable fit with the oysterflex - I just don’t think they sit right and your picture shows the issue. The strap just wants to sit away from the sides of your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

If I had the choice - it’s what I would have done too! Well done - but get some better pics. Maybe some side by side with the CHNR? (I forgot about this one for my list for 2020 - damn).

well done. First dibs if you want to sell it on (seriously).

(I assume in that pic the oysterflex has not yet been sized - it’s a one way process??)

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th December 2019 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

(I assume in that pic the oysterflex has not yet been sized - it’s a one way process??)

Martyn.
    I don’t think Oysterflex can be sized. It comes in different sizes EC,ED..... upto EG.
    Depending on wrist size you select the correct combination of pieces- one longer than the other.

Journeyman

My personal feelings aside, If you have to ask for opinions on such a personal decision, perhaps you aren't in love with it enough to purchase it.

Master
    Martyn

Correct my image is terrible in lots of ways and yes the Oysterflex is not sized, it looks flared as its just sitting on my wrist.

With regards to size I think Rajen is correct they come in different sizes, the adjustment is done via the glide lock, I will know better when I get there to have it done properly.

Suspect it might get hidden away until Christmas Day but will then try to get some pics beside a couple of others, CHNR being one.

For me the 42mm is a perfect size and given the slim profile of the watch it sits quite flat to the wrist, similar I think to the Explorer II.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If I had the choice - it’s what I would have done too! Well done - but get some better pics. Maybe some side by side with the CHNR? (I forgot about this one for my list for 2020 - damn).

well done. First dibs if you want to sell it on (seriously).

Martyn.

I like the look of that... a lot.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it.....but for 64k.......nah.....it doesn’t have the wow for that €€€

Master
    Yachaster are the worst watch Rolex make In my opinion.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I like it.....but for 64k.......nah.....it doesn’t have the wow for that €€€
    Are you for real?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Are you for real?
    I am indeed for real.

Where's the bracelet?

It's a lot of money for a watch with a rubber strap.

Master
    I like it, but would be tempted to wait until they bring out the rose gold version in 42mm - this surely must follow...

With the white gold, it would have been nice to have a flash of colour somewhere - red writing or second hand

Master
    My picture is awful, i’ve nicked one from ‘tinterweb which hopefully shows it a little better

Much better pic Nev, benefits from not having your fingerprints on the cyrstal.
    It's a stunner, enjoy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I am indeed for real.
    Then Google Rolex RRPs before asking such stupid questions.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah. Now I see why most people then you are a such a phallic shaped head.....I didn’t ask any question by the way.........

It was someone else who mentioned the 64k. Don’t really care enough to check. It’s a gold three hander from Rolex. Prefer it to a lot of the Rolex line up but for 30/40/64k or what ever then meh.

The price doesn’t really change my opinion. I know price impacts you a lot as you believe money makes a man.

Funny how some things are such opinion dividers - this version of the Yachtmaster is one of just two Rolexes I have ever seen that I would actually like to own! Most I find either desperately dated and dull, or appallingly badly-designed and tasteless. With this I love every single design detail, including bezel and rubber strap, it manages to be understated yet discretely OTT with the use of white gold. Enjoy it OP, I am most envious!

Blog Entries

Must admit I like the look of the watch, although I didn't think I would. I would have to change the strap, though I don't know what for!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

No brainer, great watch and in huge demand/minimal supply. Only Yachtmaster worth buying IMO

An absolutely fantastic watch! A little big for me personally but if I could carry it off and I had the cash, I’d have one in a heartbeat. The rose gold, slightly smaller version, was on my wrist briefly a few weeks ago and I totally fell for it. A definite wish list item now.

Congratulations. Looking forward to the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    For a solid white gold case I guess £21K is about the right ball-park. Reassuringly expensive. Would you buy it is the $64K question though, like the OP asked! I would - if I had the cash free.

Thanks for the updates on the Olysterflex sizing. Everyday is a skool day.

What questions would those be?