closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the tudor gmt date fault fixed?

Is the tudor gmt date fault fixed?

There are a Shedload of gmt's in dealers at the moment and I must admit I'm tempted. Is the date issue finally fixed? Are the new batch okay..thx.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes that issue has been resolved.

Don't really understand why Tudor restricted the supply for 18 months then dumped thousands on the market, AD's are full of the damned things!

Master
    Fixed for a while now. Don't think Tudor just dumped a load out, maybe that they had to fix the inventory which temporarily restricted the supply until they worked through the entire affected batch.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Fixed for a while now. Don't think Tudor just dumped a load out, maybe that they had to fix the inventory which temporarily restricted the supply until they worked through the entire affected batch.
    Possibly although the issue has been resolved for quite some time now.

My local Goldsmiths got 6 last week! Only one left mind you so still hot.

Master
    OP should at least try it on. I initially was skeptical about the thickness but it actually wears very well on my 6.5" wrists.

I am also impressed with the quality overall in person. Particularly when all the hands actually reach the markers (unlike the other sister brand).

Blog Entries
    That’s good to know. It wears not too tall. I had a faulty one that was fixed by Rolex St James pronto. May get one again.

Whereas I tried one on and found it too tall for my 6.75 wrist. My Explorer II much more comfortable. All quite subjective I guess.

My friend got his in August and it has just had to go back to correct an issue with the date.

What is the date fault?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    What is the date fault?
    Date jumps maybe 2 or 3 days in advance rather than the usual 1 day when time moving past midnight

My April 19 supplied one has been good as gold but have seen some reports of later sold watches having to be returned.
    Guess some retained safe stock might have been released to good punters. Not Tudor's (Rolex') finest hour.
    They should just delete the thing now and move on (as I have a good one of course)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Date jumps maybe 2 or 3 days in advance rather than the usual 1 day when time moving past midnight
    Thank you

I had an early one and it has been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not completely, unfortunately.

We sold one last week that went back to Tudor within 4 days with this fault.

Tudor exchange the movement under warranty.

Thankfully my customer was very patient and understanding and accepted that it would be dealt with under the warranty. I've arranged a Tudor gift for him for being so fair about it.

Craftsman
    I saw one in the window of a local AD where the time was set to 3:10 pm but the date wheel was between two dates. Is that an indication of a fault as well?

They actually had two in the window, so clearly there’s been an easing in supply challenges.

Well after 20 months of ownership (I grabbed and early one) the date fault has occurred!

I meant to return it but forgot, today I noticed a Tudor advert which made me remember so I checked the warranty and it was due to expire in THREE days time!

How lucky... just scooted down to the AD and it's been sent back under warranty with an estimated four week turnaround which seems a bit overly optimistic but it's not like I don't have another watch to wear.

Master
    I wonder what attitude Tudor will adopt to early watches where this fault occurs out of warranty - with it being a known fault?

I suspect I know the answer...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Well after 20 months of ownership (I grabbed and early one) the date fault has occurred!

I meant to return it but forgot, today I noticed a Tudor advert which made me remember so I checked the warranty and it was due to expire in THREE days time!

How lucky... just scooted down to the AD and it's been sent back under warranty with an estimated four week turnaround which seems a bit overly optimistic but it's not like I don't have another watch to wear.
    I took mine to an AD a while ago, and two weeks ago I was told that due to a shortage of parts it would be January before I see my watch again. Your 4 week timeframe may be a little optimistic, but potentially 4 months was a bit of a surprise.

As of January 1st Tudor extended the warranty on any watch bought after July 2018 due to the fact they now do 5 year warranty and didn't want to p*$$ people of who'd bought one recently so you might find you still have plenty of warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by marcbe View Post
    I took mine to an AD a while ago, and two weeks ago I was told that due to a shortage of parts it would be January before I see my watch again. Your 4 week timeframe may be a little optimistic, but potentially 4 months was a bit of a surprise.
    I think I’d be annoyed rather than surprised with a 4-month wait for a very well known about warranty repair. The brand has had a huge amount of time to manufacture parts to repair each watch...they’d have known what the issue was, what parts were needed to fix it and how many watches it could effect.

Master
    From the amount of times this fault is still being raised on a Tudor forum I'm on, I'd say it has not been resolved.

I've seen multiple reports of watches having to go back a second time after it's happened again.

Master
    I have not seen a recurrence in the date wheel issue for any watches repaired since March 2020. That being said there will be watches with the older movement that simply have not sold yet. It’s a lovely watch.

Just picked up my GMT from my local AD, they sent it away only three weeks ago for the date issue.

Rolex states movement correction and additional parts. AD thinks it has probably had a new movement.

They also said that they have not seem any returns on more recent watches, mine was a release one.

Came back very well packaged, inner clear coffin and outer plastic rolex branded box.

All in all a good service.

Master
    I believe the issue has been resolved. I have not seen any watches returned after June this year with the new movement suffer the date issue again. This is in a very active Tudor dedicated FB group. Not yet anyway. The issue is there will be some older watches in dealers with the old movement that will suffer the issue. Also, people that don’t wear their watches much may still suffer the issue.

I was also advised by a manager at the Stratford Tudor boutique the issue is resolved.

Not so much an answer to your question but an interesting read:

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/202...oring-the-gmt/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I had the first to be received at my local AD. No issue so far but I remain concerned that it isn't covered by the 5 year warranty.

Would Tudor offer a goodwill repair if the issue now arises?

If the issue hasn't occurred by the time of the first service would Tudor rectify the issue as part of the service?

Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post

Would Tudor offer a goodwill repair if the issue now arises?

I believe so. Even so - displaying the correct date is quite a fundamental function of a watch with a date - so Consumer Rights could apply which cover you for a free fix of defects up to 6 years from purchase. As there is anecdotal evidence this is a problem with early movements it should not be difficult to state a case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I believe so. Even so - displaying the correct date is quite a fundamental function of a watch with a date - so Consumer Rights could apply which cover you for a free fix of defects up to 6 years from purchase. As there is anecdotal evidence this is a problem with early movements it should not be difficult to state a case.
    Interesting. Thanks for the response.

HP

My father's February 2019 purchased GMT developed the fault 4 weeks ago. Currently away for service, wonder if we'll see it before February 2021...

Reading this thread, I’m afraid it would totally kill any enthusiasm I might have for buying this model. Why can’t they get this right? - you don’t expect to buy something for thousands of pounds with a pretty major fault which was flagged over a year ago and is still happening. This is ridiculous for Amy modern product - I wouldn’t buy a washing machine for £300 with a fault that ‘sort of probably might have been fixed’ let along drop a couple of thousand on a watch with known issues? Plenty more options out there imho

Master
    I remain at awe with the way this
    Issue has been handled by the press and the media.
    No mention of it whatsoever, yet they are more than happy to kill a brand for lesser problems....

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Reading this thread, I’m afraid it would totally kill any enthusiasm I might have for buying this model. Why can’t they get this right? - you don’t expect to buy something for thousands of pounds with a pretty major fault which was flagged over a year ago and is still happening. This is ridiculous for Amy modern product - I wouldn’t buy a washing machine for £300 with a fault that ‘sort of probably might have been fixed’ let along drop a couple of thousand on a watch with known issues? Plenty more options out there imho
    My thoughts exactly, I've been waiting for this issue to be resolved and I'm not happy to buy a watch and then get it sent off for weeks and potentially months for a fix that should be relatively straight forward, just copy what Rolex do.....

I'm tempted to look elsewhere but you can't fault the value for this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    My father's February 2019 purchased GMT developed the fault 4 weeks ago. Currently away for service, wonder if we'll see it before February 2021...
    Mine came back last week, it was sent off by my AD only three weeks before.

Reading this thread, I’m afraid it would totally kill any enthusiasm I might have for buying this model. Why can’t they get this right? - you don’t expect to buy something for thousands of pounds with a pretty major fault which was flagged over a year ago and is still happening.
    I've had the raging horn for one of these since launch. There are still too many tales of woe for me to chance one.

Craftsman
    Just happened to my October 2019 watch. Pretty gutted. I bought from a central London AD so doubt it had been on the shelf and thought this had been fixed by then.

Date stuck between 3 and 4. I wound forward and it went to 6. Stupidly didn’t take a photo so need to see if it happens again. Based overseas now so not sure when I can get it serviced. Kinda wishing I’d bought the Speedmaster Pro I was choosing against - less to go wrong with a 50 year old movement!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    Just happened to my October 2019 watch. Pretty gutted. I bought from a central London AD so doubt it had been on the shelf and thought this had been fixed by then.

Date stuck between 3 and 4. I wound forward and it went to 6. Stupidly didn’t take a photo so need to see if it happens again. Based overseas now so not sure when I can get it serviced. Kinda wishing I’d bought the Speedmaster Pro I was choosing against - less to go wrong with a 50 year old movement!
    From keeping up to date with this (see what I did there?) it’s the early 2020 watches that have the new sorted movement in them. Mine has been fine since being repaired and it’s pretty much a daily for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    From keeping up to date with this (see what I did there?) it’s the early 2020 watches that have the new sorted movement in them. Mine has been fine since being repaired and it’s pretty much a daily for me.
    Like the pun :) Good to know - I’ve worn mine a lot over the last year so hoping it will be a rare problem which I can get fixed when I’m back in the UK. Glad my warranty got extended to 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Ha ha. Mine has been the same. A Dec 2018 watch, new movement in June '20. Apparently they are just replacing movements hence the relatively quick turnaround.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post

Date will stick again so get it sent off as soon as you can, mine was a three week turnaround. Great looking watches.

It would be good it Tudor were more transparent and state what the fault is, how they fixed it and what production date or serial number the fix was applied. If I could buy one from an AD confident it hasn’t got the fault I’d be tempted to get one to cheer myself up during lockdown 2.0.

Mine came back last week, it was sent off by my AD only three weeks before.
    My father’s watch was returned today. Not a great explanation of what work was carried out, just that it was “serviced and oiled”. But it’s nice to have it back pre-lockdown and most importantly, he’s happy with it.

Also quite a quick turnaround

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I've had the raging horn for one of these since launch. There are still too many tales of woe for me to chance one.
    The "raging horn"? Dear lord! I feel sorry for the poor Tudor GMT that ends up on your nightstand

Almost 2 years to the day, OK, 23 months :-) my GMT started to show the symptoms of this. Luckily in Haarlem we have a Tudor AD who took it away to ‘check’ if it’s covered!
    I have received 3 emails so far, one confirming it is covered by the warranty, one to confirm it has arrived at their Service Centre, and one to tell me it is waiting for a replacement movement.

Not bad service so far.

I am thinking of selling mine, and so I checked with Fraser Hart what the warranty system is as mine is out of warranty (missing the warranty extension by being sold 2 weeks before the extension came into force).
    Even though mine has not shown any signs of the fault, at all.
    FH confirmed that as a known issue, the fault would be rectified at no cost to me (or any new owner).
    So they intend to make it right
    Dave

That’s good to hear

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am thinking of selling mine, and so I checked with Fraser Hart what the warranty system is as mine is out of warranty (missing the warranty extension by being sold 2 weeks before the extension came into force).
    Even though mine has not shown any signs of the fault, at all.
    FH confirmed that as a known issue, the fault would be rectified at no cost to me (or any new owner).
    So they intend to make it right
    Dave
    Dave I remember you adored the watch and spoke very highly of it. What made you thinking of selling?
    When I got mine I moved it on immediately, didn’t really bond with it at all.

Last edited by Ar.parask; 4th November 2020 at 21:42.

Master
    I've never had a problem with mine since I bought it in 2018. It's been either on wrist or winder. If the problem(s) are covered by extended warranty I don't know why people are worried and put off this nice watch. They seem to sell everywhere else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I've never had a problem with mine since I bought it in 2018. It's been either on wrist or winder. If the problem(s) are covered by extended warranty I don't know why people are worried and put off this nice watch. They seem to sell everywhere else.
    Agreed and even if it goes wrong it’s covered under warranty. It’s a bloody great looking watch.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 5th November 2020 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Dave I remember you adored the watch and spoke very highly of it. What made you thinking of selling?
    When I got mine I moved it on immediately, didn’t really bond with it at all.

I do like it, very much indeed, but I have 3 snowflake-handed watches, a 94110 snowflake, a Pelagos and the GMT. The original is unsellable, and I really love the titanium austerity and epic lume of the Pelagos.
    I have also recently got the Mido Ocean Star GMT, which has the exact same movement features of the Tudor (travel GMT and very long reserve - you can take it off on Friday evening and on Monday morning it is still going) at a fraction of the price, and the Mido uses a static 24-hr scale with a 0-60 dive bezel, a format I prefer to a 48-click 24-hr bezel.
    So with a general thought of downsizing my financial commitment to watches (even with the inevitable tinkering and finding new stuff), the GMT is an obvious candidate to go. When I get round to listing it.
    Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ...I have also recently got the Mido Ocean Star GMT, which has the exact same movement features of the Tudor (travel GMT and very long reserve - you can take it off on Friday evening and on Monday morning it is still going) at a fraction of the price, and the Mido uses a static 24-hr scale with a 0-60 dive bezel, a format I prefer to a 48-click 24-hr bezel... Dave
    I've not seen that Mido before, Dave, and really like the look of it. Is it a 60-click or a 120-click bezel? It's got me wondering about cashing in on my Rolex GMT 16710, which is worth a lot more now than when I bought it 5 years ago, and putting the price difference towards something else...

BTW - these are the models Sweets refers to. Time Piece Store has them at £787 + shipping and duty - probably a bit under £1000 landed in the UK. Which seems like pretty good value.