closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breitling Navitimer 1959 Re-edition

Breitling Navitimer 1959 Re-edition

I’ve been offered one of these by my AD.

I’ll admit to having had zero interest in Breitling previously. I’ve always considered them just too big for my 16cm wrist. Having tried this on though, I’m blown away by it. It’s lovely!

The problem is that as lovely as it is, it’s £6.5k. No two ways about it, that’s a lot of money. I’ve been told a token gesture of a few hundred quid off might be possible but more realistically, interest free credit over 3 or 4 years.

Now, i must add that I don’t buy for investment purposes. I look after my watches but I also wear them as intended. There isn’t a safe queen in the whole collection. However, I don’t want to take a complete bath on such an expensive piece. Most Breitling that I see on the pre-owned market are heavily reduced. Given the limited edition nature and the almost unanimously positive press reviews of this re-edition, is this going to mean it holds its value better than other Navitimers?

I suspect my heart is set on the watch whatever my head says but would value the opinion of you guys.

Thanks,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    my IWC and Zenith I bought because I like them, forget resale values if you like it buy it.

interest free credit is also a win.
    Last edited by bwest76; 16th December 2019 at 21:51.

I felt the same way - it's a great watch and I don't like breitling normally with the exception of vintage navitimers.Don't really see the point of the sliderule dial nowadays.And yet I really like it.The price is the killer for me - compare to bracelet speedmaster with big box and all the extras for 4k and it's 2.5k to 3k too expensive.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Ok, that’s it. My heart is made up!

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Ok, that’s it. My heart is made up!

Spoken like the addicts we are! Best of luck.It is a gorgeous watch.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Master
    You have said you can afford it, you were blown away by it, so nothing left to do really..........buy it!
    It's probably one of the best 're-editions' of any watch manufacturers in recent years, if not, ever.
    Enjoy.

That watch is superb. A modern no-date Navitimer that is not the size of dinner plate.

I think it is very handsome, enough so that I hope Breitling expands on the design with a non-limited version of the 806. I think a screw on case back would have been welcome but I get what they were attempting and respect the commitment to the original design.

There is one in the window of my local AD and it has been sat there for two weeks.

I like the watch but found it wore quite large, much larger than I expected, so much so I gave it a miss and bought the BB58.

Enjoy the watch, it is a great piece though

Will it hold its money,I doubt it ,but if you like it go for it ,if you want something to hold its money you know your limited to a couple of brands .
    I think they look great ,do it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's lovely, but I'd buy a vintage one instead, personally.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    It’s a great looking watch and looks good on the wrist. I suppose buying it depends where it sits compared to others you may be interested in and if you think it’s one you might still cherish in 6/12 months time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

+1

Definitely look at a "vintage" or certainly a vgc used model

buy the reissue new and you will probably see an immediate drop in value of 30%+, probably more

Blog Entries
    I really like mine. I bought it because I wanted a true vintage re-issue but a modern movement - best of both worlds I think!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    +1

Definitely look at a "vintage" or certainly a vgc used model

buy the reissue new and you will probably see an immediate drop in value of 30%+, probably more
    I knew someone would beat me to it.
    A vintage one will be half the price and retain its value at least and probably appreciate in time.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    That’s stunning.

Thanks for all your input guys. I’m massively tempted and deep down I know that the buying new depreciation drop is always going to be there.

My AD has it on hold for me as they know I’m genuine in my interest. In fact I was told that although it had gone in the window a couple of days earlier, it hadn’t come out for any customers yet, as it was unlikely anyone except me or someone like me (i.e. one of us nutters!) would really appreciate it. Or equally likely everyone else would see the asking price and faint! I was also told they’ve had two boutiques call asking them to sell the watch on due to short supply. Now, all of that could be total BS but I doubt it, as they have always been 100% honest with me in the 20+ years I’ve been a customer.

Vintage is certainly an option if there’s a nice one out there. New has some advantages though, namely the warranty and the option of interest free credit. I suspect the former is unlikely to get used and I’d normally shy away from the latter but seeing as there’s very little movement in the price, it’s something that I would likely use in this case.

So, in summary, I’m still thinking about it. Don’t be surprised if the result of my deliberation eventually makes it onto this weeks Friday thread.

Gorgeous and lovely wristshot as well.

Blog Entries
    A couple shot of mine.

I can’t comment on its value in five years time as my crystal ball is off for repair at present. But it really is a watch persons watch. They are limited in number so may not be available for ever. I think I did a review a while back on the piece - if not I need to get one done as it certainly deserves it. FWIW the asking price is the *same* as the MRP for any of their standard B01 based navitimers which says something positive for Brietling.

On another forum I was in touch with the project manager of the designers of this watch and attention to detail to the original 1959 was paramount: features I like are the domed acrylic glass and manual wind - and the authentic size and features.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th December 2019 at 21:27.

Master
    Ha! Was just about to point you in the direction of MartynJCs write up of this watch, (no idea how to link to a thread) but I see he has already chipped in with a couple of photos.
    If you’re worried about residuals, I would say it’s a gamble - with the odds being stacked in favour of a loss. If it’s a beautiful re edition you’re after, look no further. It’s a lovely thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Gorgeous and lovely wristshot as well.
    Yes, it is. Not mine...wish it was.

Master

Quick pic of mine.

Its great when something keeps its money or makes a little, but sometimes you have to just use your instinct. If Breitling do more reissues (its been stated they will do), this is the first of them, so may be in its favour for residuals.

Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post

Quick pic of mine.

Its great when something keeps its money or makes a little, but sometimes you have to just use your instinct. If Breitling do more reissues (its been stated they will do), this is the first of them, so may be in its favour for residuals.

Keep us updated!
    This looks so good!

Very toolish I love it dream watch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Depending on availability and price I wouldn't mine trying that new strap on my Navitimer.

You can order it direct from Breitling website online.

Quick update. I’ve decided to keep an eye out for a vintage model instead. I’m happy to wait as long as it takes to get the right one. In fact, waiting a while will do me and my bank balance, good.

I honestly suspect I’ll slightly regret this in a few years time but right now, I’m pushing the boundaries of what I’m comfortable with. Not just monetarily, although I am struggling a bit with the asking price but also I feel out of my comfort zone with the whole concept of this being my first Breitling. I need to build up a bit more knowledge and understanding of the brand. To respect it if you like.

I know that you could shoot holes through my logic (I certainly could ) and maybe if the watch is still languishing in the window next year, I’ll change my mind. Again....

Thanks for all the input. I honestly value it. It’s helped me a great deal as a couple of comments have made me think hard about my overall collection and collecting, strategy.

It is nice, personally prefer the models with the batons as it cleans up the dial a little, and its a very busy dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Quick update. I’ve decided to keep an eye out for a vintage model instead. I’m happy to wait as long as it takes to get the right one. In fact, waiting a while will do me and my bank balance, good.

I honestly suspect I’ll slightly regret this in a few years time but right now, I’m pushing the boundaries of what I’m comfortable with. Not just monetarily, although I am struggling a bit with the asking price but also I feel out of my comfort zone with the whole concept of this being my first Breitling. I need to build up a bit more knowledge and understanding of the brand. To respect it if you like.

I know that you could shoot holes through my logic (I certainly could ) and maybe if the watch is still languishing in the window next year, I’ll change my mind. Again....

Thanks for all the input. I honestly value it. It’s helped me a great deal as a couple of comments have made me think hard about my overall collection and collecting, strategy.

I think that is wise, but if you really like this model and you intend to WEAR it, keep a look out for a lightly used example - it is not a Rolex, so models were probably sold at a discount new and may therefore appear on the used market at well below list.

But if you really want a Navitimer, and most collectors do at some point in their lives, then a "vintage"model in good condition is the safe bet, for value and enjoyment, (just my opinion)

Craftsman
    You could always save your money and buy something cheaper then spend £70 on a CRP-5. When I first started flying I rushed out and bought a Seiko version of an aviators watch. Strange thing is, it's impossible to use it to do any calculations in flight as you need your hands to fly. Similarly, couldn't even time holding patterns with the stopwatch function. A Heuer stopwatch on my clipboard was much easier to use.

It is a nice watch though

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I think that is wise, but if you really like this model and you intend to WEAR it, keep a look out for a lightly used example - it is not a Rolex, so models were probably sold at a discount new and may therefore appear on the used market at well below list.

But if you really want a Navitimer, and most collectors do at some point in their lives, then a "vintage"model in good condition is the safe bet, for value and enjoyment, (just my opinion)
    All very true.

A few years back I fell in love with the Cosmonaute and bought a nice 1967 one.

Looking around at what far tattier ones sell for now, it proved a good investment (I sold my wife on the idea of buying an old watch on the basis that I could probably get my money back if I needed to...)

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Tried one of these on today at my local AD. Lovely lovely watch and a very nice strap

Nice but really expensive
    Buy a Sinn 903 and or something vintage?

I tried one and it Wera quite large even for a 41m

Craftsman
    I'm not sure how rare these are but there is one currently available at the breitling store in the westfield at shepherd's bush.

Apprentice
    Its sold out in most of the boutiques in Switzerland.

AFAIK, boutiques have been calling the independents trying to get them to release their stock, as they have customers waiting.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect I’ll regret not getting the one I had on my wrist last week at some point in the future. Hey-ho, 1st world problems and all that

Master
    I’m not in to the vintage Breitling world but it looks a very nice re-edition to me?

I guess the real vintage Breitling gurus will look and see all sorts of things off but nothing looks goofy about it to me?

I’m so used to seeing these Seiko reissues and hating them with details cheapened everywhere, all the important details like the sharp hour markers on the 62MAS or 6105 and the applied logos or the crystal edges.

If you’ve got the money and like the vintage look I think this Navitimer is a good idea. Vintage watches are lovely (my whole collection is 60’s/70’s mainly) but there’s always a concern with wearing really nice ones. It’s got to be a more relaxing feeling to wear that new Navitimer knowing anything you could do to it (damage wise) could be sorted at service!

They seem a lot of money though, be interesting to see how the used market goes for them. Breitling are terrible at value retention which may be a good thing to get a big discount or a used one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    You could always save your money and buy something cheaper then spend £70 on a CRP-5. When I first started flying I rushed out and bought a Seiko version of an aviators watch. Strange thing is, it's impossible to use it to do any calculations in flight as you need your hands to fly. Similarly, couldn't even time holding patterns with the stopwatch function. A Heuer stopwatch on my clipboard was much easier to use.

It is a nice watch though

Very dry, like it!

Master

Would love to try the reissue or the original one day, saw vintage one at auction last month went for £10.2k in the end including the fees! Strong money

There's a lovely article about this watch on Fratello today: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...ing-navitimer/.

Also features the 50th anniversary gold speedmaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Would love to try the reissue or the original one day, saw vintage one at auction last month went for £10.2k in the end including the fees! Strong money

One went through auction the other day for $125,000 plus fees! Was worn by another human being once so that obviously justified the price though.

There is one in my local Breitling dealer. It has been sat there for a month already.

Craftsman
    Tempted, but I may end up disliking the clutter eventually.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A quick question. Has anyone secured a deal on one of these? WOS T3 are holding one for me for collection mid-Feb at £5,543, but the usual high street candidates are holding fast at RRP which at £6,520 is twice the price of a discounted new Speedy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    A quick question. Has anyone secured a deal on one of these? WOS T3 are holding one for me for collection mid-Feb at £5,543, but the usual high street candidates are holding fast at RRP which at £6,520 is twice the price of a discounted new Speedy.
    Don't think they sell at discount as limited to 1959 being sold, though they seem freely available to buy via the Breitling website at MRP - it looks like you got the 20% VAT equivalent discount off @ T3 which is not to be sniffed at!

They could tank and be seen in sales (like the Zenith CP2 which was limited to 1000) like next December at 30% off sales if you can wait that long? They haven't quite got the marketing the same as Omega and the 'Moonwatch' Ltd editions - but then they didn't have all the (free) advertising last year.

Craftsman

I bit the bullet last week. Popped into Harrods and they had one in the cabinet. Head said £6.5k is awfully expensive, but the dial is so wonderful and I caved in

Master
    Congrats Dan, top watch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Congrats Dan, top watch!
    Cheers Alec, it is lovely

The more I see it, better it looks. It is a gorgeous watch.
    Well done to those who got it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Turns out to be an academic question. Saw the 1959 in the flesh today. Whilst the size and domed acrylic were positives, the rest of the watch was very underwhelming in particular the small, overcrowded dial. A shame, but not one for me.