closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: One for the sparks?

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097

    One for the sparks?

    The oven in one of our rentals has thrown a trip and won't heat up, removed the heater element, thinking it was this, but it physically looks ok, ( normally they show signs of blowing ).
    I've measured the continuity and that's fine, I've measured the resistance and, with the meter set on 200ohm I'm getting 44.1, the element is 1200w 230v.
    By my working out that's about right, can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

  2. #2
    Possibly daft suggestion given it sounds like you know what you're doing, but is there only one element in your model of oven?

  3. #3
    OP, have you measured the element to earth, on both terminals? tripping would be a sign of earth leakage.

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    208
    It may be that it only shorts when it expands when hot. Check it with an insulation tester like a 500v megger, that will show up any breakdown.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Possibly daft suggestion given it sounds like you know what you're doing, but is there only one element in your model of oven?
    Yes, one main oven element and a grill element, I know the grill element is ok as it was glowing.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    OP, have you measured the element to earth, on both terminals? tripping would be a sign of earth leakage.
    I've checked continuity between the terminals, ( which there is ), also between the terminals and outer casing of the element itself, which there isn't.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    It may be that it only shorts when it expands when hot. Check it with an insulation tester like a 500v megger, that will show up any breakdown.
    I did think of this, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment to test this, it does get warm, I know this when I tried to remove it, lol.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    890
    I had this on an oven and disconnected the parts to narrow down the fault and it was the fan in the end

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I had this on an oven and disconnected the parts to narrow down the fault and it was the fan in the end
    This is not a fan oven, the trip didn't trip when I tried it again.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I've checked continuity between the terminals, ( which there is ), also between the terminals and outer casing of the element itself, which there isn't.
    As suggest test it with an insulation tester

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    I hope the element is ok as I can't get a new one, they have stopped making them

  12. #12
    Journeyman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    87
    Assuming the breaker it tripped was an RCD or ELCB then, after the conductivity tests you have carried out, it is most likely the element is breaking down when it is hot.

    Assuming the cooker works ok (everything switched on and up to temperature) without the suspect element fitted then refit said element and heat that only. It if trips then bingo thatís your problem.

    I went through similar many years ago and discussed with an electrician. I was told was overthinking the problem and should go back to basics.

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    The oven in one of our rentals has thrown a trip and won't heat up, removed the heater element, thinking it was this, but it physically looks ok, ( normally they show signs of blowing ).
    I've measured the continuity and that's fine, I've measured the resistance and, with the meter set on 200ohm I'm getting 44.1, the element is 1200w 230v.
    By my working out that's about right, can someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    According to Ohms Law, 1200w at 240v is 5 amps. Power is V squared over R, so should be 48 ohms. Your reading is well within tolerance for the item and the accuracy of most multimeters. A resistive element will also change resistance when hot. More likely it's breaking down to earth so the megger test is crucial. Have you run the oven with the element taken out? Does it still trip?

    Any other issues? Did your tenant have the oven cleaned recently as water could have got in somewhere.

    For parts, if you need them, have you tried www.espares.co.uk or https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/cooker-oven-parts

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glos.
    Posts
    1,097
    The oven only tripped once, hence why the tenant called me.
    I tripped it back in when I got there and switched the oven on, didnít trip out again, but oven didnít get hot enough, although the element did warm up slightly, hence why I think it might be the thermostat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information