closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A classic for a first car.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Do autistic people stress when things go wrong, don't work, they are late? If so maybe get your son a modern reliable car for his first one, he will have enough other things to concentrate on, then when he has a few thousand miles under his belt you can decide on his second car.
    I'm autism spectrum, suffer from anxiety and stress when things go right let alone wrong, but its never stopped me owning and running classics since I was 22 (now 44)
    its very relaxing and calming to ride a classic and satisfying to work on them properly following well tried and tested instructions and manuals etc. like moving on from lego.
    I get annoyed when a mechanic doesn't do the job the same way I would have done but then I have to understand he got the job done well, saved me a bunch of time and agro and move on

Apprentice

Nostalgia aint what it used to be!!

Always buy with the head and not the heart, we all know but how many times do we ignore, same with most purchases (relationships too!!)
    As far as first cars, can't go wrong with Citigo/Up/seat, even better absolute shedloads being written off for most insignificant prangs, try to find cat N (non-structural) as opposed to cat S (structural) 3-4 year old for about £3k
    Bit different to old days, first car '63 mini/mg1300 engine for £70 including shedload spares
    cheers
    Col

You mentioned a Land Rover, but why not a more modern equivalent; I know many will laugh, but why not a Suzuki Jimny. Gonna be reliable, slow, cheap to insure and still offer a raw old school driving experience.

It’s hard to commend a true classic. Safe and steady seems the best way to go.

What about embracing the future with a Renault Zoe?

Failing the above an early R52 Mini or NA MX5 for a characterful modern classic.

Ultimately it’s hard to fault a modern Fiesta.

My first car was a 1972 MG Midget and, on the plus side, I learnt an incredible amount about maintenance almost immediately. Mercifully I worked in the West End and commuted by train so never actually had to rely on it to get me anywhere when it mattered - this is just as well. What about a late 90s Mini - you have a moderately increased chance of it starting, virtually no blind spots and it's easy to park.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    When we changed our cars a couple of years ago we bought a VW Up for our runabout with the intention of passing it on to our daughter when she learns to drive in three and a half years.

By that time it will be six years old and, hopefully, will be ideal. It is a fairly modern car with a lot of safety features, small enough to park anywhere and easy to drive.

It should be relatively easy on the insurance front and pretty reliable too.

Time will tell if we made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not a small point. It's an excellent point - my bad.

But as an ex 1959 Ford 100e and 1971 Saab V4 owner, I totally agree. Classic cars are huge fun, however when it dark, wet, and you need it to get to work, etc I didn't want to have them as daily drivers.
    No worries Andy... it is an addictive hobby....we now have 5 in the family.
    I used the Morris Minor every day in all weather when was living in Sussex only a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app