closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: are dyson cordless worth it?

Craftsman

are dyson cordless worth it?

Our older regular vaccum cleaner is not functioning correctly so time for a new one.
    Ive put off getting a dyson as we had a vaccum that worked well but now i need to get something.

We have a reasonably sized house, 150+sm, mostly laminate floor with carpeted stairs, no pets.

1. Would a V11 be sufficient to clean the house in one charge?

2. Are dyson cordless vaccums genuinely worth it and that much better than a standard vaccum? over 500 quid is a lot of money for a vaccum cleaner.

I've got one. It's great for a quick blast around the living room carpet but it's pretty poor at picking things up in places like the kitchen/car etc. We've also got a cordless Henry which is far superior in every respect apart from portability. Cheaper too.

Craftsman
    Love ours! One of the best things I've bought for the house. There is different heads for different surfaces. We have the carpet and hard floor head as we have a mix in the house.

Hardly ever get the upright out now. Infact cant even remember the last time we did.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Love ours! One of the best things I've bought for the house. There is different heads for different surfaces. We have the carpet and hard floor head as we have a mix in the house.

Hardly ever get the upright out now. Infact cant even remember the last time we did.
    We’re the same,think my wife would rather dump me than the Dyson.

Im looking for a cordless vacuum myself.

Spoken to a few people..they reckon that Shark ones are better...also they appear to be cheaper...

Will probably order one tonight....though they did have a "Black Friday" sale a week or 3 ago.........I should have bought it then!

Looking online....they cant be had for much (if any) cheaper than on their own web-site too...Looks like they will give you a five year guarantee too...(but I think it is just 2 year guarantee for the battery/s).

Just bought the V11. On medium power it does the whole of my fairly large 3 bed house including stairs. The attachments are very good and overall I am (by that I mean the wife) pleased with it.
    Too expensive but would definitely get another if it wears out down the line.

I don't know if they're any better now, but we were always buying Dysons for the cleaner at work. OK, they saw a lot of use (far more than a domestic one would) but we seemed to have to throw them away every 6 months or so. Then we bought a Henry and never looked back. When I needed to buy a vacuum for home I went for a Henry myself, had it donkeys years and it's still as good now as when it was new IMO. Darn sight cheaper than a Dyson, too.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    We bought a dyson v11 animal a year ago.

Fantastic.

We have a large old farmhose ( rooms are large )with six cats and two alsations so this thing is used...a lot. It does not do the whole house on one charge and i have to empty the ltlle bucket thing quite often as it is full of hair, bloody animals. Having said that we also heat with wood burners so there is always dust about.

To give an idea though it will do the house in two charges and regular use means i never need to do the house in one go anyway. (Five rooms at 5x5m, one at 8x4 plus kitchen bathrooms, and utility rooms)

So after a year...battery still the same as when new, unit still works as new. Get yourself a couple of extra filters though as when they are blocked you have to wash them out and wait for them to dry. I got mine off ebay from china for only a few quid compared to dyson originals at loads of money and they are just as good.
    I only use it on speed setting 2 (of 3) or the battery does not last but boost on 3 is very handy.
    Great for stairs.
    Great for cobwebby ceilings! Oh yes the joys of old properties.
    Light and easy to use.
    Never used it on the car as the old dyson is now relegated to the barn for the car and a tube on the end of the hose is easier in the car anyway.

Worth the money......for me in a dusty hairy old property , yes without a doubt.
    Last edited by Carl.1; 15th December 2019 at 18:09.

Master
    The wife absolutely loves our cordless dyson couldn’t tell you what model but it’s great i usually do round the fire etc with it in fact thinking about it I’m not sure we’ve used the proper Miele one since we got the dyson I know I haven’t

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post

Since we bought our V10 last year we have not used our corded vacuum cleaner. Wouldn’t be without it.

Yes, but if you combine them with a robot vacuum cleaner you are all set. We have both a dyson and a xaomi mi robot, thought it was nonsense but can not imagine going back!

Master
    We went with a shark and other than a small collection box I can't fault it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Bosch

We had a Dyson which was okay but not great battery life. It’s recently been replaced with a Bosch model which seems very good so far.

The question was is it worth it, I don’t think so, it’s a ridiculous amount of money for what it is, they don’t come close to corded cleaners half the price, I think a better question is do I need a cordless vacuum cleaner

Craftsman
    Dysons are never ‘worth it’. They have cool pieces of tech but you pay more for the brand and the coolness imo!

I do love them though (but I don’t own one!)

I used to find using a vac the most dull and mundane chore.
    Since getting the Dyson cordless, I am stunned at how frequently I am happy to use it.
    Gets a thumbs up here!

Master
    In a word yes.

I have two houses, one in the UK where I have a Miela and one in Spain where I have a Dyson V10. I am therefore in a position to compare.

Performance wise both are similar but the Dyson is so much easier and convenient to use. With the Miela, you have to assemble it, lug it around which in practice means that you vacuum up once a day.

With the Dyson, you merely take it off its rack and just vacuum straight away. If you notice a bit of dirt on the floor, you just take the V10 off the rack, vacuum up and replace it back on the rack, job done in less than a minute, resulting in a cleaner house.

Cordless is a no brainer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Since getting the Dyson cordless, I am stunned at how frequently I am happy to use it.
    Gets a thumbs up here!
    If we had level floors throughout I’d have one of those robot ones in a heartbeat however because of steps etc I’d need one for most rooms lol

The answer to every Hoover thread question is a Henry (as states twice already).

The cordless Dyson are decent though. We had a previous model pet version and it lasted a good few years with decent power and charge retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overpriced for what they are. Wouldn't buy another.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Bought a Dyson V8 model to use as an extra for small jobs. Missus never uses the corded vacuum anymore, it's just so much easier to use the cordless! 4 bedroom bungalow with 3 carpeted rooms, the rest tiled or wood flooring. It just hangs on the wall in the utility room, on it's charger so always ready to go. Whats not to like? Would definitely get another.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Looked into this recently when one of our two Miele vacuums died. After taking into account the price, reliability (many accounts online of breakages), battery life, battery lifetime (and lack of easy replacement), suction power, and that corded cleaners are not really that much more difficult to use, I bought a Henry when they were on special offer.

Perhaps by the time I need to replace it, cordless technology will have improved and the value-for-money equation will have changed. For me, for now, corded is still the way to go.

Master
    We went with a shark cordless - got it in a promotion so only eye wateringly expensive rather than it's usual 'take my kidney' price tag for what amounts to a motot, batteries and some plastic tubing.
    Picks up everything you throw at it (it's some pet model wiht 101 attachments), a month or so ago the wife decided she needed a cleaner (which has actually been the best £20 a week we've ever spent) and she loves it, moreso than the plug in shark we have for 'heavy duty' downstairs.

I’ve got a Dyson V7 and it’s been really good. Does get hot sometimes when used for longer periods of time. Other than that, it’s been faultless.

As others have said, for a corded vacuum, Henry is one of the best out there. Standard models can be had for under £100 and there are lots of companies out there selling spare parts.

MY sister is OCD with cleaning - always had Dysons - but then..... revelation - she bought a Shark - and she says the difference is unbelievable - looking at what has come out of the carpet and off her squeaky clean floors - even im impressed.

Was £130 on black Friday (half price) and isn't cordless

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Dysons are never ‘worth it’. They have cool pieces of tech but you pay more for the brand and the coolness imo!

I do love them though (but I don’t own one!)
    Is that like iphones then? ;-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    We have a Dyson and the biggest plus is its always there, ready to go.

When the time comes it will be replaced with another.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Gets a thumbs up here!
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I have an older Dyson cordless. It reminds me of a Nespresso machine. It is a convenient t way to do an OK job. If you want to do a really good job youI use something else, in my case a Miele.

Journeyman
    I got a V6 a few years back after numerous hints from the wife...We had (and still have) a Henry.

While the Dyson is cordless and light...those are basically the only good points. The battery life is really poor and always runs out when you need it. Suction is very poor compared to Henry. The motorised brush...is rubbish (ours died recently, £70 for a "dyson" replacement or £25 for a knock off) and without that, it just won't pick anything up. The collection cylinder needs to be emptied almost every use, and usually ends up with me then having to vacuum up the dust again from around the bin.

Save your money and buy something else.

Master
    I have a Henry, I use when I am doing DIY which is rare. A small stand up dyson and a cordless V8. We use the v8 a lot and it’s great for our tiled downstairs and great for the 3 flights of stairs. So much so that we are looking at getting another cordless. I get about 40 mins from mine mixture of normal and turbo mode.
    I would highly recommend it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    yes,best household thing iv bought along with a bread maker.

Dyson are like Apple.

There's a new, very expensive model every year, but a few year old example will do a perfectly good job at a fraction of the price.

I bought a handheld to clean out the cars, but my wife uses it a lot more than our corded dyson.

It won't do the whole house, but good enough for a quick scoot round to tidy up.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

You have to buy the right heads to get the best of of them. Say if you have carpets and hard floors then get 2 dedicated heads.

They often sell you the hoover with one head that can be used on both but is not very good at either.

Dyson charge £55 or so for the heads so can add significantly to the cost.

They dont hold up to heavy duty use, my sister has about 6 dogs and used hers 7 days a week and it was getting repaired regularly under warranty.

I had the V6 and V10. The V10 was much better / longer battery

Went round and round in circles trying to decide on one a Xmas. Reading reviews on Dysons, people say they're rubbish, get a shark, so read up on shark, lots of reviews saying rubbish, get a GTech, read up on GTech, people say rubbish, get a Dyson. In the end i gave up and bought a corded Miele C3

Blog Entries
    We have a couple of Mieles for the upstairs floors, and a Gtech Pro K9 for ground floor, it's brilliant, does ''what is says on the tin'' and very handy to use

Craftsman
    We have a few vacuum cleaners . Used to keep a Miele cylinder (Cat and dog) upstairs for doing the bedroom/bathrooms and down the stairs

Had a Vax upright for downstairs

Also had a Gtech for quick clean ups, was the best for hard floors as a conventional upright blew dog hair under the furniture rather than picking it up, the Gtech handheld is great for spider disposal

Replaced all three with a Dyson V11 , it does it all and is much easier to use and better at picking up

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can probably summarise Dyson as overly expensive but good, when the battery starts to fail you can buy much larger capacity ones from eBay too. Our V6 still going strong after 4 years.

Garbage in my opinion. Had one of these cat and dog wand versions for about 3 years just to pick bits up off the kitchen floor, but it hardly picks up and I prefer a dustpan and brush or get the Miele out for a proper job.
    Stripped it down, new filters etc, but still c**p

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My gf brought a cordless Bosch when we moved in together, albeit a few years old. I hated it with all my heart, here is why

* not enough suction capacity, even at highest speed
    * could not remove the brush head, which meant that you couldn’t clean skirtings, power outlets, smaller spaces like behind doors, also very clumsy so couldn’t reach for example under beds
    * battery lasted about 5 mins, but again, was partly because of age
    * heavy, even the few mins before it died made you totally exhausted
    * no bag - this might be my upbringing with bagged vacuum cleaners but can’t for my life understand why anyone would want to be covered with dust when emptying (esp not nice when you have an allergy)
    * leaked, more a model related issue though

Proper one job failure. Got ourselves a corded Miele after a year and that was the first time the house was clean after moving in ... carpets literally looked like new after first run with the Miele.

Do people use the upstairs or downstairs vac for the stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do people use the upstairs or downstairs vac for the stairs?
    I use whichever one has more charge at the time, my wife uses the upstairs one going down rather than the downstairs one going up. We have three here as there's a loft extension. The floors with carpet have the higher grade anti allergy/pet food dysons. Very silly, I stay out of it.

Craftsman
    We had this debate last month and ended up getting a G-Tech Air Ram K9, just prior to purchasing I thought I would take a punt and check for a discount code.

I found one like this: https://www.groupon.co.uk/discount-codes/gtech (loads more online)

Ended up getting the K9 vacuum, hand held K9 (decent bit of kit) and the car care kit as part of the offer, I think the RRP was about £450 for the lot and got £175 off so £275 all in, I was about to pay nearly this for the vacuum alone.

So far so good, cant really complain. The light on the front is actually quite handy and the handle on the main vacuum goes pretty much flat which is good cause we can get under the setter/beds that way.

Craftsman
    Had a dc35 before, was handy but still used our corded Miele cat&dog. Now have a V10 which is a very different beast and the miele hasn’t been used since. Does our 4 bedroom house with plenty of charge left, good attachments and very convenient so quick blast around takes minutes. We have cats and it has no issue dehairing carpet.

They are expensive and I wasn’t sure about getting it. Having used it for a few months I’d buy another in a flash if it broke.

Suppose it depends on your expectations as to usable service life.

Having had others and now a V11 Animal - absolutely, YES.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Having had others and now a V11 Animal - absolutely, YES.
    i have to agree, suck up the price if you want a unit that really works with decent battery life on full throttle.

Craftsman
    Old v8 animal here. Yes it’s really expensive but for a three storey house it’s perfect. Does all three floors on one charge. We’ve a golden retriever and all her hair is picked up nicely with no issue. It’s light and battery still holding charge same as on purchase day a couple of years back. Handy for just wandering out to the car and hoovering out the detritus in the motor as well.

When it dies I’ll definitely get another. This one replaces a corded dyson that had been serviced and rebuilt several times, but like Trigger’s broom