closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car break in

Car break in

My wife’s car was broken in to last night. Despite numerous reminders, she decided to leave an Amazon returns package on her front passenger seat for the last 10 days or so.

Last night was the night that someone decided they wanted to know what was inside said package. Sadly for them, it was a baby’s life-vest for swimming so clearly not wanted. We’ve a broken window and the thieves didn’t even take anything. All so unnecessary.

Just a little reminder to keep things out of sight in cars as thieving scum are on the prowl at this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that, hopefully she will hide these in the boot in future (although no excuse I know for anyone to break in).

In a similar vein, my wife refuses to listen to me about deadlocking the front door (as we're not insured otherwise) - the only thing that might make her listen is a break-in.

Master
    Sorry to hear. It’s the pain in the arse repair that hurts!
    Have lost count of the conversations with the wife that go.....
    ME. Don’t leave that coat/bag/box on the back seat someone will break a window to get it.
    WIFE. Oh it’s ok there’s nothing in it.
    ME. The thieving sods don’t know that though do they?
    WIFE. (Shrugs and sighs)

Not just women though blokes do this too, nephew had his passenger window smashed last week because he left a cover for a pushchair on the seat, having looked at it it looks for all the world like a PC lap-top-bag, not something I would leave on view, but illustrates the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sucks, scrotes these days will nick anything. I doubt my elderly car is attractive to thieves (unless they really want a cassette player that won't fit anything else anyway), and brief experimentation would prove that the back window is busted, and you can simply push it down. But as they would be more likely to hoof a window through rather than check for this, I consider it prudent to leave nothing on display. The potential irritation of having to organise replacement glass outweighs opening the boot..

Cheers,

Plug

Use a sticker as tradesmen do - 'No tools valuables left in van car overnight'.

Master
    I've seen various cars in my work car parks with sat navs left in and lap tops and iPads left on the seats

Blog Entries
    My brother parked his car in a local beauty spot car park (near Scarborough at the time) and he and his missus went to look at a view he intended to paint. No other cars in the car park and they were only gone 5 minutes. Got back to find the window smashed and her bag stolen. Said it never crossed his mind because it was deserted. The local police said local druggies and scrotes were in the habit of driving round said spots on the lookout for easy pickings, reckoned probably only took less than a minute and they were gone. The missus and rest of family think I'm a bit too security minded, but I don't believe in giving thieves an easy target is all. They don't leave stuff on show anymore now though!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Forgive my cynicism but I suspect that’s likely to be as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    My brother parked his car in a local beauty spot car park (near Scarborough at the time) and he and his missus went to look at a view he intended to paint. No other cars in the car park and they were only gone 5 minutes. Got back to find the window smashed and her bag stolen.
    Identical thing happened to us, except at Micheldever Woods when the bluebells were out. We were only away from the car for a few minutes. What was worse was that I had left my phone in her bag.

I had to go to a local house and ask to use their phone - and then their computer (so that I could find the number that I needed to ring for the breakdown services). I was very lucky that they were so helpful.

We both had mobile phone insurance through our bank accounts, but they refused the claim because the bag had been left in the passenger footwell and not locked in the boot. Fortunately our household insurance eventually covered everything (it was an expensive-ish handbag, with a couple of good pens and other items in it), but we have learned a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Forgive my cynicism but I suspect that’s likely to be as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike!
    Of course, don’t know why they bother.

The wife borrowed my car the other evening, woke up the next day and she had left the car door wide open and unlocked, I think the kids distracted her, apart what could have been, it was swimming in condensation.
    Cheers..
    Jase

SydR

Car break in

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The wife borrowed my car the other evening, woke up the next day and she had left the car door wide open and unlocked, I think the kids distracted her, apart what could have been, it was swimming in condensation.
    Where I lived previously I reversed by car onto the drive one evening and had put the passenger side window fully down for a better view down that side (it had had some moisture on the outside partially obscuring vision).

I finished parking, locked the car up and went inside. I don’t use a car very often and it was a fortnight before I went to the car again. It was only as I started moving did I notice the passenger window was still in the fully down position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I think these stickers really say - there is expensive power tools in this van during the day, at night I can’t be bothered to take them out so break in and take a look!

Master
    I was in the queue inside a petrol station once after filling up, and as I was minding my own business not really looking at anything out of the window, a ‘yute’ walked up to my locked car, smashed the rear window, leaned in and flipped down my rear seat so he could access the boot and helped himself to my laptop bag.

He’d sprinted off with it before I could even get out of the door.

All on CCTV but all that did was film a crime in progress for some future ‘Scrote Britain’ documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    LOL.
    Spot on.

Do the people who put these stickers on honestly think that thieves are so stupid to believe that tradesmen all spend an hour every night when they get home unloading their tools from their van, only to then get up an hour earlier in the morning to put them all back in the van again.

10 seconds with a wrecking bar on the back doors will soon tell them either way....

New wife time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I was in the queue inside a petrol station once after filling up, and as I was minding my own business not really looking at anything out of the window, a ‘yute’ walked up to my locked car, smashed the rear window, leaned in and flipped down my rear seat so he could access the boot and helped himself to my laptop bag.

He’d sprinted off with it before I could even get out of the door.

All on CCTV but all that did was film a crime in progress for some future ‘Scrote Britain’ documentary.
    Meanwhile in America, you’d have whipped out your concealed ‘desert eagle’ and blown him apart as he tried to escape, which would be terribly satisfying but personally I’m glad I live in the U.K.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk