closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone fairly close to Edinburgh with a parking space..? Or a good suggestion

Anyone fairly close to Edinburgh with a parking space..? Or a good suggestion

A few of my family are getting together in Edinburgh for New Year and staying in an AirBnB near the city centre.

I can't make it, unfortunately, but my lad is planning to drive up from deepest darkest Sassenachia on the 30th and then back again on the 2nd.

Initial searches suggest that parking in and around central Edinburgh for that period will be prohibitively expensive (he's a student), so I was wondering if there are any generous TZUK souls within an affordable Uber/bus ride from the city centre with a spare bit of drive or good on-street parking that could accommodate a small car for a few days?

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of inexpensive park and ride that would be good too! Local knowledge is always a good thing :-)

Most park and rides are free (to park). Some allow overnight parking.

See this http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory/2/park_and_rides

On-street, you should be able to find a space around Charterhall Road on the south side in The Grange. It is just outside the parking-charge zone.
    Charterhall is particularly wide, and over the holiday period should be easy enough. Alternatively - Oswald road, where it connects to Charterhall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...8gEwAHoECAsQAQ

Thanks all, getting some good suggestions here, both in the thread and by DM :-)

Blog Entries
    Take the train?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Take the train?
    That would be my preference, but a fixed train return is £225 and a flexible return is £350. With 2 of them coming back we're looking at £400 in total on the train.

Vs

700 miles round trip at 50mpg = £80 in petrol.

Download an App called "Just park". Subscribe and the type in the post code of where you want to park. Book and pay money, then park.

Last weekend my wife got 3 days parking in Bath for £22. Result.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That would be my preference, but a fixed train return is £225 and a flexible return is £350. With 2 of them coming back we're looking at £400 in total on the train.

Vs

Can see your point there! But go first class (discounts available usually in advance on 'Trainline'!) and get food and beer served on the way and way back. Becomes a treat. Result for me!

https://www.thetrainline.com

Prices drop considerably about 12 weeks or so before travel date. But get snapped up quick. London to Edinburgh 1st class in January, return, £162.00.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 14th December 2019 at 20:21.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Use the Edin Council map to find the closest free parking zone (use link on this page for map http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/202...ices_and_times) and take a bus (or the tram) - the Edinburgh bus service is superb (and you can download the Trasnsport for Edinburgh app which gives buses and times for all stops across the city). Note: no parking charges on 1st Jan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m assuming he’ll be coming in from west side of city.

Get him to park, free, anywhere there’s on street parking in Corstorphine area. Charges start in Roseburn area I think, near Murrayfield Stadium.

Leave car there and get bus into town centre.

Reverse procedure when he goes to pick it up.

Jim

Master
    Another vote for Justpark app, e.g. when I did Velo Midlands got a secure space in the Birmingham Hilton (IIRC) for not a lot which was about 200 yards from where I was actually staying.

There is a range of options available usually ranging from bona fide carparks through to private driveways.

SydR

Anyone fairly close to Edinburgh with a parking space..? Or a good suggestion

A single trip on Lothian buses is £1.70 per person and they now take contactless payments (one card per person). Payment is capped at £4 per day, providing you use the same card.

Either find some street parking outside of the centre^ or use Justpark* and bus into town. The Lothian transport website gives very good information on routes.

^I’ve not life’s in Edinburgh long enough to suggest areas to avoid.

* I’ve used Justpark in London and it saved me a lot.

That would be my preference, but a fixed train return is £225 and a flexible return is £350. With 2 of them coming back we're looking at £400 in total on the train. Vs 700 miles round trip at 50mpg = £80 in petrol.
    Yes, but What Would Greta Do?

Vs

It's a shit (and long) drive.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It’s really not that bad a road journey - but......... keep in mind road conditions in the 5day forecast, and plan accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Greta would ensure that public transport was priced such that it was an attractive option

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It’s really not that bad a road journey - but......... keep in mind road conditions in the 5day forecast, and plan accordingly?
    Having driven to Mallaig for new year a couple of times about (oh heck) 25 years ago and getting cut off by snow, I realise that it's well worth watching the weather!

Delighted that my little Citroen AX 1.4D made it all the way, 3-up, fully loaded and 85mpg :-)

When it's a 700 mile round trip it is shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    When it's a 700 mile round trip it is shite.
    I think there's an age aspect here though - I did very long journeys when I was the lad's age, including LeJOG in one go by motorcycle (twice), the 1000 mile round trip from here to Mallaig for new year (twice), all of it without major ill effects. In your 20's these trips are an adventure, not a chore.

Now I get grumpy doing 100 miles in the car.

Oh, and there is a dirt cheap coach option, but it's 13 hours through the night and even Greta would draw the line at that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You’d think edinburgh was the end of the earth!

It’s only circa 350 miles which is a breeze. Some folk do it there and back in 24 hours but then I hear north of the Watford gap is too North for some. C’mon, it’s just auld reekie the young man is going to not the Outer Hebrides.

Let him see it as part of The Big Adventure not a step into the abyss.

Jim

I'd have tackled that journey in my youth, and laughed at the conditions if they worsened and threatened to have me stranded. My mum and dad would have fretted endlessly on my behalf! These days, I'd still give it a go but would spend the money I saved in train fares by making it a road trip and splitting the journey each way, staying overnight somewhere interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    You’d think edinburgh was the end of the earth!

It’s only circa 350 miles which is a breeze. Some folk do it there and back in 24 hours but then I hear north of the Watford gap is too North for some. C’mon, it’s just auld reekie the young man is going to not the Outer Hebrides.

Let him see it as part of The Big Adventure not a step into the abyss.

Jim
    I regularly do Edinburgh-Southampton in an X-Trail..... easy run.

I worked with a guy who, with 11 others - drove to Nepal in 3 LWB Landrovers, climbed Everest to 20,000ft, and "drove home" afterwards... 1960. No bottles of Evian....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I regularly do Edinburgh-Southampton in an X-Trail..... easy run.

I worked with a guy who, with 11 others - drove to Nepal in 3 LWB Landrovers, climbed Everest to 20,000ft, and "drove home" afterwards... 1960. No bottles of Evian....

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Greta would ensure that public transport was priced such that it was an attractive option
    I wonder what First Class costs in Sweden?

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...does-a-corbyn/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really is no need to pay for parking. You can park in large areas of quite nice neighbourhoods for free and get the bus/tram as the service is awesome.

You don't say whereabouts in central Edinburgh, but depending on where, the following areas are fine to leave the car for a few days and have few/no on street restrictions - all are walkable to the town centre in good weather also:

Parts of Grange
    Most of Murrayfield/Ravelston
    Nearly all of Trinity

Master
    A few of my family are getting together in Edinburgh for New Year and staying in an AirBnB near the city centre.

I can't make it, unfortunately, but my lad is planning to drive up from deepest darkest Sassenachia on the 30th and then back again on the 2nd.

Initial searches suggest that parking in and around central Edinburgh for that period will be prohibitively expensive (he's a student), so I was wondering if there are any generous TZUK souls within an affordable Uber/bus ride from the city centre with a spare bit of drive or good on-street parking that could accommodate a small car for a few days?

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of inexpensive park and ride that would be good too! Local knowledge is always a good thing :-)
    I'm in Comely Bank he can park on my drive if he likes. Easy bus journey to centre. PM me...