closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

Threaded View

I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

"Never thought it would happen to me!" How often have I heard that!

So, Wednesday 11th December, after the Bonhams watch sale, went for a couple of drinks and dinner with friends.

Dropped them back at their hotel off Bond Street, and walked up to Selfridges on Oxford Street.

Browsed around for Christmas gift inspiration in the lower ground floor, and took the escalator up to the watch room.

Mooched around the watch counters for a few minutes, into the Rolex room, and then walked through to the food hall.

Left by the side door, and walked up Baker Street to Portman Square, and was approaching the Home House exclusive members club when BANG! jumped by four Asian men in their mid-20's at 19:57.

I called for help as we swung into the fence. I hooked my arms through the railings, and bear-hugged myself into the fence as two of my assailants tried to rifle through my coat pockets, one muffled me with his arm across my face, and the fourth worked on getting the watch off my left wrist.

Having finally got my watch, they ran off towards Baker Street. I ran after them, but by the time I got to the corner, they had disappeared (I suspect into the Co-op Supermarket opposite).

I went back to reception at Home House, where the staff and guests were very sympathetic and supportive.

The security men played back the CCTV footage showing the full mugging (scary!).

No weapons used, no verbal threats, over in seconds. My Barbour jacket with its pop-stud and zipper pockets saved everything else, and even my messenger shoulder bag and brolly were still with me.

Back at my hotel I recorded the theft with The Watch Register and Audemars Piguet, and the Police turned up at midnight to take my statement.

So yes, I was targeted for wearing a rose gold Audemars Piguet Royal Oak watch, and "marked" (-most likely-) in Selfridges watch room.

Other than a few bruises and dented pride, I'm absolutely fine.

I have to admit, it's a wake up call I didn't want, but will remember for a long time.

Be safe all, and learn from my misfortune!

Mike Wood
    Last edited by Mike Wood; 19th December 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Some good news!