closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Latest development:

I got a telephone call from the Police on Tuesday evening as some of my muggers were being arrested in Selfridges.

Three of the five (I thought it was four, but there was a fifth attacker!) are now in custody and will remain so until they appear in Crown Court.

My watch has not been recovered, but at this moment, I am very happy that at least some of the gang are off the streets.

Security at Selfridges spotted the three after identifying them following me into and around the store on the Wednesday evening when I was attacked and robbed.

MW
    Excellent stuff. Hopefully prosecutors will make an example of them...

Good news from a crap situation .

Craftsman
    Fantastic news

Great news and somewhat reassuring that the police are tackling (some) crimes.

Your post made me a bit nervous at the weekend as we were down in London - I had on seadweller, wife a TT yacht master and son Explorer .... we were on the tube a lot, the Emirates, Burlington arcade etc and I was quite conscious to keep watches under cuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great news Mike, there may still be hope in recovery and if not, hopefully justice is served. And good to see Selfridges security is up to scratch!

That is good news, not least in that it will give you some closure.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Mark C

Master
    I swear the thieves should have their mouths on the pavement and teeth kicked out until they tell you where the watch is and return it with interest. Bloody scum of the earth.

Good job Selfridges security.

Good development, hope they are finding the watch back.

Sharing a remotely related story:

Five and a half years ago, somebody broke into my car. It was in front of my house and we woke up because of the car alarm going off in the middle of the night. When I ran downstairs, a guy came out of the car and took off into the night. I called the police, who came with the technical team and managed to take fingerprints and a DNA sample (the guy hurt himself breaking the window).

I did not hear back from the police until yesterday, when I received a letter informing me that they caught somebody and there is a court session tomorrow(!), which I am expected to attend in person if I want to be awarded compensation for my damages. Oh, and I need to bring original receipts to back up any claims. What the heck, how am I supposed to retain such paperwork for more than five years after the incident if I have never heard back from police; and coincidentally, I already have plans for tomorrow morning at 9:00h.

Not that I would have any expectation that the guy would be in a position to ever pay me.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Good progress Mike, hopefully the watch will be recovered, the crims do their jail time and then get deported.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Good progress Mike, hopefully the watch will be recovered, the crims do their jail time and then get deported.
    Why do you assume that they are foreigners?

Craftsman
    Good news! Getting your watch back too would make a nice result.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    OP has subsequently updated post 146 - they're Algerians.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I think the clue was in “They were Algerians’!

Anyway regardless they have nothing to lose, if they came for a better life they already have it and pleased that the vigilance of staff at Selfridges and work of the Met has paid off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Master
    If they have only been in the country 2 weeks then I would be getting them sent back to where they came from as opposed to entering our justice system and the associated costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    OP has subsequently updated post 146 - they're Algerians.
    Ahh, missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If they have only been in the country 2 weeks then I would be getting them sent back to where they came from as opposed to entering our justice system and the associated costs.
    Too right. Not even in the country two weeks and already robbing and refusing to provide an address. I would send them back after a conviction, no need to spend time in prison here first.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am very pleased to hear this.
    Last edited by bwest76; 19th December 2019 at 20:15.

Great news that they have been caught and are currently in custody and off the streets. The bad news unfortunately is that with our soft approach judicial system they we no doubt be back out in no time and looking for the next victim.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 19th December 2019 at 20:17.

Journeyman
    Once convicted, send them straight home to serve their time in an Algerian gaol. Save the taxpayer a fortune and I imagine that would actually be a punishment.

Fingers crossed the watch is located.

Nice one Mike, a good result in one way, hopefully your watch will turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I swear the thieves should have their mouths on the pavement and teeth kicked out until they tell you where the watch is and return it with interest. Bloody scum of the earth.

Good job Selfridges security.
    +1 this. I’m done with these pricks.

Sad to hear Mike!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad there is at least some good news Mike.
    Fingers crossed the watch turns up.

Excellent news, really hope you get the watch back especially as it isn't insured

As much as I would like to see them do time, people like this just waste tax payers money, log them so they cant get in the country again and deport back to Algeria.

We'll be okay in 2021 when Boris's Aussie points system comes in

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    I got a telephone call from the Police on Tuesday evening as some of my muggers were being arrested in Selfridges.
    [...]
    Security at Selfridges spotted the three after identifying them following me into and around the store on the Wednesday evening when I was attacked and robbed.
    [...]
    The Police arrested three men, two of whom they are charging with my robbery. They are Algerians, and have been in the country for less than a fortnight. They have refused to provide an address, and are being held in custody until they appear in Court on 16th January.

The Police are continuing their investigations (they seem very active in the pursuit of these robbery gangs operating in the capital) and are hopeful of apprehending more of my attackers.
    Wow, what a pleasant (and pleasantly surprising) turn of events.

Well done to Selfridges security and the policy for being on the ball and bothering.

Let us now hope that the rest of the legal system does its rational, effective and practical part. Let us also hope that, if and when convicted, these theives are barred forever from re-entering the UK.

Craftsman
    Credit to the security team for spotting them again. Let’s hope they get what they deserve & then deported once they serve their time.

Master
    good to hear some good news, Mike. Cant be that many watches like yours on the market. Prob turn up in about 5 yrs. Nightmare for the store if they have/had a gang operating inside the premises. Doesn't take long before the store gets a reputation .If they have no address then are they here illegally? If so, the departure lounge is an hour away by van

Good to read this but the loss of the watch and no insurance would leave me fuming. Not sure what you can do about it but surely pressure can be applied in the right places. It’s a rare watch so I hope it turns up.

Master
    Good work from Selfridges and London Police, at least no knives involved but still a terrible experience.

Master
    If they have no address then are they here illegally? If so, the departure lounge is an hour away by van
    If they have no known address, then no place to search for a passport, if no passport/id where could they be exported to?

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    If they have no known address, then no place to search for a passport, if no passport/id where could they be exported to?
    Well Algeria might be a reasonable choice all things considered.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Just read this thread, am quite shocked , glad you are OK and glad they’ve picked up some of the perps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Well Algeria might be a reasonable choice all things considered.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that, without proper ID papers the country they are being deported to can refuse them entry

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Just read this thread, am quite shocked , glad you are OK and glad they’ve picked up some of the perps.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that, without proper ID papers the country they are being deported to can refuse them entry
    Not if you drop them from a Chinook at 100 feet plus.

Very clever post. Not.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    And unfortunately being charged does not really mean a jail term, a reasonable defence lawyer will get them off on quality of the CCTV. They got 2 out of 5. I'd say they'll be out in January unless there is more than we currenlty know.

Hey Mike, some good news anyway. I just hope the cops recover your watch at some point...might take a year or two. Best wishes.

It was never meant to be clever, just honest. Very happy the OP is unharmed. The scrotes I just dont care about sorry, not.

I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

It’s not about caring. It’s about the kind of society you want to live in. I’d rather live in a society that doesn’t caution extrajudicial killings, thank you very much.
    I’m happy to see them deported AFTER serving their sentence. Unless there are specific agreements, a foreign country doesn’t have to enforce a sentence by a foreign court. Those agreements only exist because we prefer our nationals to serve a sentence here rather than in a more ‘basic’ foreign gaol. I do not know what the agreements are between Algeria and the UK.

But what you suggested is beyond the pale.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No probs Jeremy. It may be an idea to look up the definition of "tongue in cheek".

Last edited by Ruggertech; 21st December 2019 at 00:32.

It was never meant to be clever, just honest. Very happy the OP is unharmed. The scrotes I just dont care about sorry, not.
    I would take a slightly more lenient approach, as you say drop them off in a Chinook but not throw them out at 100ft.

We just need to get people like this out the country, it's a burden on our taxation as it cost about £35k a year to keep one inmate in a normal jail, plus we have enough home grown criminals to house so it would free up crowded cell space.

Another option is offer the Algerian government £10k a year to lock them up, they get hard time, we get a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s not about caring. It’s about the kind of society you want to live in. I’d rather live in a society that doesn’t caution extrajudicial killings, thank you very much.
    I’m happy to see them deported AFTER serving their sentence. Unless there are specific agreements, a foreign country doesn’t have to enforce a sentence by a foreign court. Those agreements only exist because we prefer our nationals to serve a sentence here rather than in a more ‘basic’ foreign gaol. I do not know what the agreements are between Algeria and the UK.

But what you suggested is beyond the pale.
    Don't let them wind you up. You can't educate pork.

It's sad that some see a person's misfotune as an opprotunity to play the internet hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would take a slightly more lenient approach, as you say drop them off in a Chinook but not throw them out at 100ft.

We just need to get people like this out the country, it's a burden on our taxation as it cost about £35k a year to keep one inmate in a normal jail, plus we have enough home grown criminals to house so it would free up crowded cell space.

Another option is offer the Algerian government £10k a year to lock them up, they get hard time, we get a good deal!
    Agree totally, it would be a win win all around, but sadly probably too wise and sensible for any government to implement. Seems my tongue in cheek remark ruffled a few feathers, not my intention. Although I should really have known better, it does seem these days that some people aren't happy unless they've found something to be offended about.

Agree totally, it would be a win win all around, but sadly probably too wise and sensible for any government to implement. Seems my tongue in cheek remark ruffled a few feathers, not my intention. Although I should really have known better, it does seem these days that some people aren't happy unless they've found something to be offended about.

Very boring troll.

Yawn

Why if we can off shore most things can’t we off shore jail sentences. I spoke to a Hammersmith and Fulham conservative councillor and his eyes sort of lit up and then reality set in but in any case you heard it first here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Why if we can off shore most things can’t we off shore jail sentences. I spoke to a Hammersmith and Fulham conservative councillor and his eyes sort of lit up and then reality set in but in any case you heard it first here.
    And that's how Australia was invented. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    They should be allowed to water board them to find out where your watch is, hope you get it back and they get a decent sentence.
    Lump hammer their hands, that will make em squeak ...then deport the scum!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Lump hammer their hands, that will make em squeak ...then deport the scum!
    Be carefull, comments like that will make some individuals on here come over all unnecessary.

So many fans of Sharia on this thread.