closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

I got mugged for my watch in London! *Update in Post 146*

"Never thought it would happen to me!" How often have I heard that!

So, Wednesday 11th December, after the Bonhams watch sale, went for a couple of drinks and dinner with friends.

Dropped them back at their hotel off Bond Street, and walked up to Selfridges on Oxford Street.

Browsed around for Christmas gift inspiration in the lower ground floor, and took the escalator up to the watch room.

Mooched around the watch counters for a few minutes, into the Rolex room, and then walked through to the food hall.

Left by the side door, and walked up Baker Street to Portman Square, and was approaching the Home House exclusive members club when BANG! jumped by four Asian men in their mid-20's at 19:57.

I called for help as we swung into the fence. I hooked my arms through the railings, and bear-hugged myself into the fence as two of my assailants tried to rifle through my coat pockets, one muffled me with his arm across my face, and the fourth worked on getting the watch off my left wrist.

Having finally got my watch, they ran off towards Baker Street. I ran after them, but by the time I got to the corner, they had disappeared (I suspect into the Co-op Supermarket opposite).

I went back to reception at Home House, where the staff and guests were very sympathetic and supportive.

The security men played back the CCTV footage showing the full mugging (scary!).

No weapons used, no verbal threats, over in seconds. My Barbour jacket with its pop-stud and zipper pockets saved everything else, and even my messenger shoulder bag and brolly were still with me.

Back at my hotel I recorded the theft with The Watch Register and Audemars Piguet, and the Police turned up at midnight to take my statement.

So yes, I was targeted for wearing a rose gold Audemars Piguet Royal Oak watch, and "marked" (-most likely-) in Selfridges watch room.

Other than a few bruises and dented pride, I'm absolutely fine.

I have to admit, it's a wake up call I didn't want, but will remember for a long time.

Be safe all, and learn from my misfortune!

Mike Wood
    Last edited by Mike Wood; 19th December 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Some good news!

Bloody hell Mike, I'm glad you're not seriously hurt!

Blog Entries
    So sorry mate. That is scary as I used to walk that road daily as I worked at an office on Portman Square - and often spent a lunch time browsing the Wonder Hall in Selfridges.

I am glad you are safe though. And hope you have insurance?

take care.

Martyn.

Really sorry to hear that Mike.

Take care, see you soon,

Martyn.

That's horrible to hear Mike

I saw on Instagram when you posted two days ago and thought it might have been yours. Very sad and quite brazen for four guys to do that in such a location.

Targeting from inside Selfridge's in the watch room is mental and would really put collectors in future.

Hope they get caught and f'd but glad to hear you're fine and it wasn't worse. Can't forget the poor chap who was killed in Greenwich for his DateJust not too long ago.

Amazed the police came out at midnight. They must know who you are!

Master
    It's 'just' a watch and the good news is you are here to tell us about it. Knives seem to be a de facto thing now.We forget that high value stores are a prime hunting ground for villains. When I had my IWC stolen that I had bought from you, someone recognised I had a high value watch and knew when to target it and dispose of it . Note - Mike managed to get it back for me - it was 'in the system' wherever these items go. Sounds rubbish but maybe just keeping the watch in our pockets in these places is the way to go. A recognisable one like a Batman/Hulk/AP are going to draw attention. A Calatrava or Master Control prob.less so. Just trying a watch on may draw attention as you take off yours. We tend to lay it on the counter as we put on the one we are looking at. only needs a smartly dressed 'scout' in there looking for targets and it's a quick win if it's a gang vs a solo person
    Last edited by mrushton; 13th December 2019 at 16:10.

Bloody terrible , glad your ok .

I have seen the aftermath of this for myself when i was working in London . City Rd young lady got mugged as she walked out of here apartment building 9 am in the morning.

She was in bits in the reception with the concierge, they took her bags which had laptop ,phone ,cards ect. I also watched some strange goings on from the 18 th floor whilst working in a clients flat, load of scroates rifling through a handbag/bag , hiding crouched behind some big bedding planters . One of them like a bloody meerkat kept poping up keeping a eye out.

Went down to tell the Concierge and he looked but they had gone . He said yeah happens all the time.

Nightmare that these scum are getting away with this in our cities currently!

Glad you was not hurt Mike. My Father got done in Spain for a DJ and only thing hurt was his pride.

Really sorry to hear that Mike. It must have been terrifying.

So glad you were not hurt, as it could so easily have been much worse.

Awful to hear. Glad to hear you weren't hurt in the process.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dreadful,glad your not hurt.

Sorry to hear this, Mike.

Although obviously shaken, I'm glad to hear that you are physically unharmed.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely horrible, sorry to hear that Mike - but glad you are well. Would it be worth posting the watch with the serials, just in case?
    Last edited by Franco; 13th December 2019 at 15:40.

Wow, scary stuff mike and awful to hear. I’m just glad they didn’t use weapons or the situation could have been very different. Very sorry for your ordeal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very sorry to hear this but very glad you weren’t hurt.

Maybe the cctv in the watch room will reveal something?

I’m glad you are ok Mike.

That’s just Scandalous how brazen these scum now are.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the last thing to worry about in an event like this is the watch (even an expensive one) - what an awful thing to happen and glad to hear that you are not hurt.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Pleased your ok Mike that is bloody terrible, just hope they get a bit of retribution soon.

Sorry to hear this Mike, but glad you're safe. These things can so easily turn nasty, always best to let them have what they want - stuff is always replaceable, people aren't.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    A frightening thing to happen - main thing you're okay. Hopefully the perpetrators are caught.

Master
    Sorry to hear of your experience Mike at the hands of these scummy tw*ts, glad you're ok physically although dented pride, while seemingly innocuous at first, can play on the mind afterwards, take it easy.

Wow what an horrific experience, glad you're OK.

My company has an office on Baker Street and I'm down next Thursday and regularly leave around that time. Scary scary times.

Master
    That’s awful and must have been quite frightening. Hope you’re okay.

Absolutely awful. I hope you are ok as can be after experiencing that.

Journeyman
    That's so horrible. I really feel for you.

Similar thing happened to me in Buenos Aires. I also was attacked after leaving a watch shop.

Sorry to hear about your scary event Mike and glad you are safe.

Sadly, thinking about it, high class watch shops are going to be pretty fertile hunting grounds for a pack of muggers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Crikey Mike, so sorry to hear and glad you are ok. Since moving back to London last year, I've become paranoid with wearing anything of value. Nuts to feel like that.

Maybe some day it will turn up, we can hope.

Very sorry to hear that Mike, hope you are both physically and mentally okay after that.

Maybe in the future travel around in a G-Shock or something like that and keep the decent stuff out of sight until you are in more secure surroundings.

Horrible story, glad you weren’t badly hurt. London gets worse and worse.

Master
    Awful to read this thread, and there is a clear warning in there. I have never tended to look around when "playing" in the Selfridges watch shop. I will certainly be more cautious in future.

Very sorry to hear this Mike but glad you are okay.

Thank you for your support. I hope my example will serve to remind people to be vigilant!

The watch is recorded and logged.

18ct rose gold Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 39mm black dial automatic date watch on brown crocodile strap with 18ct rose gold AP folding buckle.

Model ref. 15300OR 3580 3120.740297

Case no. G37699

MW

Jeez Mike, glad you are ok.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    glad you are ok and i hope the cctv helps catch the scumbags.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Must have been shocking, but as long as you're ok, it's only a watch.

Bummer, but as others have said - the main thing is you're OK.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Mike, have you or the police spoken with Selfridges to see if you can access their cctv from when you were in there? May give a clue to who marked you, and help with any investigation.

Scum.

Glad to hear you are not hurt, but still a horrible violation and totally abhorrent behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Sympathies to the OP and really glad you weren't physically assaulted to a greater degree. Awful experience.

I know it's not ideal but I think we all have to be mindful about wearing high value watches when out and about, especially after dark and models that are recognisable from a distance. It's the world we live in.

May I add my sympathies Mike.

Sad experience. Things will never be the same
    Glad you are

Wow, that's shocking. Glad to hear that you're ok.

Glad you escaped without serious physical harm and hope they are collared.

Just out of interest, Did the police or Selfridges security mention that there was a history of cases where victims had been cased in the watch department and attacked soon after leaving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jesus Mike, glad you're ok.
    Hope they catch the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Be safe all, and learn from my misfortune!
    But what's the lesson? Don't go watch browsing in Selfridges? Wear expensive watches only indoors? Be wary of groups of youths in the streets?

I fear there's not a lot we can do to guarantee avoiding this sort of thing if we want to go about our daily lives as usual--if you're targeted, you're targeted and you have to hope to come out if it unharmed. Crap conclusion, and an indictment of the state of society, but there you go.

Happy Mike wasn't seriously injured.

Master
    Mike given what you contribute to the watch community, it saddens me you cannot wear a nice watch be it Southport or London. My wife remarked the number of targeted watch thefts is on the up, its a bad reflection on the scroats changing their tactics.
    Steve

Master
    Crazy state of society, at least you seem to escaped unharmed.
    Was it couple of weeks ago that video of the taxi driver working with scum targeting the customers.

Blog Entries
    Wow. How very deeply unpleasant, to say the least.

Glad you came through it ok.

I know this sort of thing would be make me very angry indeed.