closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Multi vehicle insurance , recommendations please.

Craftsman

Multi vehicle insurance , recommendations please.

Currently we are a 2 car family , with full protected NCB on both vehicles.
    I am looking to acquire a 3rd vehicle and to use my Defender on the odd occasion.
    Have any members any tips or recommendations on this plan and insurers who are competitive and likely to meet my wishes .
    Thank you in anticipation of your suggestions .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've both our cars insured with LV and always found them reasonably priced and fair to deal with (eg my lapsed motorbike insurance NCD can be used for a third car should I add one within two years).

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

One piece of advice wrt your NCD, make sure that any multi-policy insurer will provide that on all the cars you insure with them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I just insured another vehicle with no no claims to transfer as I’m still keeping the others. I used A plan brokerage and they got me the same deal as if I had full no claims to transfer. Very helpful and highly recommended

Master
    I use Admiral multi car for mine but also Classic Line who seem to offer very competitive rates for limited mileage/non main car policies. You need to be careful however as some limited mileage policies offer little to no refund if you sell the car part way through the insurance period.

Master
    LV were pretty good for us - we had 3 cars and they matched the NCB from my main car onto the 3rd car.

Craftsman
    Thank you all for the replies so far .
    Brilliant , and what a great forum this is , thank you all !

Master
    We have 5 vehicles, 4 of which were on a multicar policy with Admiral. Every year, without fail, the quote would come in at more than I could get the policies individually. Every year I had to call and say fix it or else and then listen to the how much they wanted my business, how much of a deal they could do. Each time they just beat the combined total of the best combined, individual policies. I'd point out that they should do this in the first place and, having all the business, should do better than just beating it. Metaphorical blank looks.

I finally got fed up when we changed a vehicle. I rang to add this on as a fifth vehicle thinking I would cancel the fourth when we sold it. The "best" quote they came back with was laughable, this was the fifth vehicle bear in mind. I got a full years policy for less than they wanted for the remaining 9.5 months. So I insured elsewhere. Then when I sold the fourth car and asked to cancel the policy they clawed back so much of the refund amount it was daft. I believe they recalculated the whole year's figure based on three vehicles and then deduct the difference from the refund.
    That was the end.
    So this year I did all four separately and I'm fairly convinced it was cheaper.

Look very carefully - is it actually cheaper?

Master
    I've set my parents up with admiral multi car as they have four cars between them.
    But to remove a car can be expensive (my old man changes on a regular basis) but adding additional vehicles hasn't been too bad up until now.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I've had multi-car a few times but for the past few years I've done separate policies, which have ended up cheaper than multi-car. So don't just assume that it's the best 'value' solution.

The irony is that when I got a new car my existing insurer required me to add a tracker - yet I have an app that will show me where the car is 24/7 anyway - stupid out of date underwriting policy - so I shopped around and was amazed at how much pricing had moved around from previous years. Both cars are with decent insurance brands, just happens to be cheaper than the main multi-car options.

Craftsman
    Thank you all .
    I was concerned this may be a mine field!
    When this forum works as in this case it is a gem , and it’s members prove time and time again are very genuine people of integrity and possess genuine camaraderie ethics .
    Wonderful , thank you all once again.

Craftsman
    I’m with Admiral on a multi-car policy. They always quote higher each year but a phone call ensures I always pay less than the previous year.

One thing I have never really understood since moving to the UK is the NCB system. If you own 3,4 or even 5 cars how do you manage the NCB so that you aren't paying silly high rates as I cannot see how you could have five 10yr NCBs? Is there a benefit to a multi car policy whereby one NCB can cover multiple cars?

LV for us. I brought a brand new Mini JCW as an extra car and it was an extra £72 for the six months remaining. Only had one NCB which was used on the other car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Returning to my recommendation for LV - my two cars are on separate policies but they include some sort of discount to encourage using them for two or more vehicles. I pay about 208 for a newish Honda Civic and around 270 for my wife's GT86. Both policies include legal cover and protected NCBs. I haven't bothered shopping around for several years as I doubt I could find insurance much cheaper (or at least enough of a difference to make shopping around worth the hassle).

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Is there a benefit to a multi car policy whereby one NCB can cover multiple cars?
    Certainly not with Admiral, they only allow NCB on one car in a multi-car policy.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Certainly not with Admiral, they only allow NCB on one car in a multi-car policy.

R
    Me and the wife both use our own separate NCB with admiral...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    The theory is that you bring NCB per vehicle to the table and they quote from that. Having said that now that I'm an old sod if I buy another vehicle (it does tend to happen) I will insist that they match the maximum NCB I have on the others.
    If they wont then foxtrot oscar as plenty will. If you move from a multicar policy then they only issue NCB per vehicle based on what they have on their records.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Me and the wife both use our own separate NCB with admiral...

How does that work then? Please expand further.

R

I started the policy with just my car and my NCB.

The other half joined 4 month's later when her renewal was due - the price was based on her existing NCB.

We now both are on the same multi car policy, but have 2 separate NCB. If I have a crash it won't effect hers and vice versa.

We both continue to build separate NCB, so if we leave the multi car policy and get one per car again, we both have our own NCB to use.

Journeyman
    I use Admiral, they've always been great apart from raising the price every year and then having to call them to discount it again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

From Admaral T&Cs...

Craftsman
    As I said earlier , THANKYOU , this is the forum that never tires of giving , sharing and embracing .... long may it continue .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I started the policy with just my car and my NCB.

The other half joined 4 month's later when her renewal was due - the price was based on her existing NCB.

We now both are on the same multi car policy, but have 2 separate NCB. If I have a crash it won't effect hers and vice versa.

We both continue to build separate NCB, so if we leave the multi car policy and get one per car again, we both have our own NCB to use.

I can see how that works, however in my case I am the only policyholder and have three cars on my Admiral multi-car policy but only one car can have the protected NCB.

R