closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One watch purchase that changed it all… at least for now…

Master

One watch purchase that changed it all… at least for now…

I have been slowly but surely building my watch collection over many years trying various brands and styles and landed on IWC MKXVIII, Tudor Pelagos 39, omega AT 8500 golf addition and my zenith pilot ceramic. I thought I was on the way to building a superb 6 watch collection. Good mix of colours, designs, styles, materials etc.

But then it happened… I just stopped wearing all my watches and always put on my zenith. It ticks so many boxes for me.
    - It’s very light coming in at 107g so very comfy
    - It’s very ledgable.
    - It has a date that I personally find very useful.
    - It is very scratch resistant owing to the rubber strap and ceramic case.
    - It is accurate and has a cracking movement with great complications and innovations.
    - I love the dial.
    - With the quick change straps you can change up the look very quickly and I will add more colours when they are available.
    - It’s discreet! I can wear it anywhere and not give it a second thought.

It got me thinking, why do I have my other watches? This led to much procrastination over a 4 week ish period. I have settled with the fact I will have my zenith as my daily, my omega as my smarter/daily watch and an g-shock for rough stuff and that’s it for now!

I did not see this coming when I bought the zenith but it’s just so damn good. Everything about it screams quality. So that’s me for some time I think. Still surprised as I sit here writing this post. More watches will be bought, it’s a desease after all but for now I’m happy! Who would have thought it.

Stu
    Last edited by Stuno1; 1st November 2023 at 21:40.

Grand Master
    As much as I like fish n chips, I also like many other foods.

Id soon get tired of fish n chips for the rest of my days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    As much as I like fish n chips, I also like many other foods.

Id soon get tired of fish n chips for the rest of my days.
    I get that entirely and have been mulling this over for a while. Maybe it’s just time to move the others on to make way for new arrivals in the future. I waited 4 months before making this decision to ensure it was the correct one for now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d not rush in until the new watch honeymoon is well past …

Zenith is very nice (my de luca is the only watch I'll never sell) but always nice to have other options.

I'd say sell the AT or IWC to free up space/budget for the next thing that catches your eye.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Master
    Give it a few more months :)

Personally, I find three or four watches in rotation is more than enough, but I do like the rotation within that number.

I’ve tried the one amazing watch thing a few times but it hasn’t lasted.

Master
    You are all right and I know I will want other watches again at some stage. I enjoy the hobby too much. Maybe it’s just my time with the 39 and IWC done and it’s time for a change.

I spend all day looking at watches and new releases and at the moment nothing on my budget takes my fancy.

Just stick with 1, years ago I had maybe 5-6 watches in rotation but only worn 1. Then I sold them all got a AT and had that for many years until I got my defy 21 and now that is my only watch, I wear it every day and it could do with a polish at some point. As you said I just never found I was wearing more than 1 so just sold the rest. Had the 21 for maybe 5 years now as my only watch.

Seriously great watch that Zenith - would tick all of my boxes too. The big date + chrono functions + scratch-resistant case is a real winner.

By way of coincidence, I looked at my Damasko DC57 + MWC trit tube diver + Casio MRW200H sat on my bedside as 20 other watches that rarely leave their cabinet/winders glowered down at them from on high and had a very similar thought process to yourself...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Just stick with 1, years ago I had maybe 5-6 watches in rotation but only worn 1. Then I sold them all got a AT and had that for many years until I got my defy 21 and now that is my only watch, I wear it every day and it could do with a polish at some point. As you said I just never found I was wearing more than 1 so just sold the rest. Had the 21 for maybe 5 years now as my only watch.
    That’s it. It’s just where I am at the moment. Might change, might not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Seriously great watch that Zenith - would tick all of my boxes too. The big date + chrono functions + scratch-resistant case is a real winner.

By way of coincidence, I looked at my Damasko DC57 + MWC trit tube diver + Casio MRW200H sat on my bedside as 20 other watches that rarely leave their cabinet/winders glowered down at them from on high and had a very similar thought process to yourself...
    It’s a strange one isn’t it. Some love just having them but for me if they are not getting any wrist time I just don’t see the point.

Sounds like a great place to be. Personally I’d be moving on the two earmarked watches whilst I was in that motivated mindset to pair down safe in the knowledge that they are relatively easy to source should you have any regrets.

I keep trying to approach reducing some that I don’t wear, but some are quite rare to find second hand. If I did regret the sale, unlikely I could procure them again in a similar condition and you can guarantee I would have to add a chunk of money. It’s not easy……….

That Zenith is lovely.
    I can see why it's "Your go to" daily watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    ... It’s a strange one isn’t it. Some love just having them but for me if they are not getting any wrist time I just don’t see the point.
    Annoyingly, I vacillate chaotically between the two states of hoarding and decluttering... I should see a shrink really...

Master
    I have a soft spot for Zenith and that one is particularly nice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I have a soft spot for Zenith and that one is particularly nice!
    I do like a lot of their current releases. I like the chronomaster sport, pilot and skyline lines of watches. Having tried them all on the only disappointment is the clasp on the chronomaster sports. Everything else on all of them is superb.