closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dropped Cellini. Cracked glass- replacement advice.

Craftsman

Dropped Cellini. Cracked glass- replacement advice.

Hi all, as the title suggests watch slipped from my hand and the glass cracked. Was a very small drop so am surprised.
    Needed a bit of advice. Firstly back to Rolex or use and independent? If so any suggestions of who might be a good bet.
    Lastly anyone know the rough going rate for a replacement crystal at the moment.
    As always help appreciated.

Rolex approved indi who will do the crystal only. Thick end of £350 with fitting I'd think.

I would expect RSC to want a service at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. The perils of ceramics!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Rolex approved indi who will do the crystal only. Thick end of £350 with fitting I'd think.

I would expect RSC to want a service at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Ouch!!!! That much for the crystal replacement. Did not expect that, might have to be put away for a while.

Any risks of wearing with he crack other than catastrophic glass failure. There appear to be no shards on the dial.
    Last edited by mikeeb1; 12th December 2019 at 20:46.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oh dear. The perils of ceramics!!
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Ouch!!!! That much for the crystal replacement. Did not expect that, might have to be put away for a while.

Any risks of wearing with he crack other than catastrophic glass failure. There appear to be no shards on the dial.
    I was quoted around £200 fitted with WR testing for a new genuine Rolex crystal a year or so ago from Russell Talarman. It may be worth giving them a call.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I was quoted around £200 fitted with WR testing for a new genuine Rolex crystal a year or so ago from Russell Talarman. It may be worth giving them a call.
    Thank you. I'll check them out

your house insurance may cover it, mine did when my sub crystal was scratched a few years back, may increase subsequent premiums a little but doubt you would end up out of pocket even in that case
    Keith

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    your house insurance may cover it, mine did when my sub crystal was scratched a few years back, may increase subsequent premiums a little but doubt you would end up out of pocket even in that case
    Keith
    Thanks for that. I did not even consider it. Will call and find out.

Grand Master
    I wouldn’t bother with house/ contents insurance, the subsequent increase in premiums will probably outweigh the cost if getting it fixed from your own pocket.

Just accept it as a hard lesson and be more careful in future, £200 is probably about right to get it replaced by a Rolex accredited indy. You dropped it, your careless mistake, its an expensive watch and consequently it won’t be a cheap fix, no-one forces you to own these watches and there is a cost penalty if they get damaged.

Whilst you’re having the glass replaced it might be worth getting the case repolished too, probably won’t cost much more.....this is advice from a guy who’s refinished the odd watch or two.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I wouldn’t bother with house/ contents insurance, the subsequent increase in premiums will probably outweigh the cost if getting it fixed from your own pocket.

Just accept it as a hard lesson and be more careful in future, £200 is probably about right to get it replaced by a Rolex accredited indy. You dropped it, your careless mistake, its an expensive watch and consequently it won’t be a cheap fix, no-one forces you to own these watches and there is a cost penalty if they get damaged.

Whilst you’re having the glass replaced it might be worth getting the case repolished too, probably won’t cost much more.....this is advice from a guy who’s refinished the odd watch or two.
    Thanks for the advice, maybe slightly harsh on the careless mistake. I'm well aware of the consequences and the fact I will have to pay once way or another to fix it. The case is blemish free. The drop was only a few inches, I try and be careful putting on the watch over a table so it's not going to fall far. It just slipped. I'll try and locate a good independent near me.

Phone Vanessa at Antique and Modern in East Barnet Village

https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

Experienced independent Rolex repairer and other high end makes.

Free secure all day parking too adjacent to (behind) their relocated premises … which is also adjacent to the 184 bus stop.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th December 2019 at 07:51.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Just accept it as a hard lesson and be more careful in future. You dropped it, your careless mistake, its an expensive watch and consequently it won’t be a cheap fix, no-one forces you to own these watches and there is a cost penalty if they get damaged.
    That's not patronising at all is it....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Phone Vanessa at Antique and Modern in East Barnet Village

https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

Experienced independent Rolex repairer and other high end makes.

Free parking too

dunk
    Thank you. Will also check them out. Have put the watch away until the new year.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    That's not patronising at all is it....
    No , if you read it in full context it isn’t.

I take the view that insurance is for the major catastrophes, I pay the minimum for what I require and I accept the risk for damage to watches myself. The fact that you or I or the OP own an expensive watch means we implicitly accept the risk that it may get damaged, or stolen, my watches are insured for theft from my home but I have no cover for outside or accidental damage.

My philosophy is to take care of watches, I handle a lot of watches that don’t belong to me so I make sure I’m careful. I recently had the floor of my en- suite bathroom tiled, now I don’t take watches off in there, I’m conscious of the hazard........that’s the way my mind works and that’s the point I’m trying to make.

Nothing patronising about it, just common sense in my opinion.

No , if you read it in full context it isn’t.

I take the view that insurance is for the major catastrophes, I pay the minimum for what I require and I accept the risk for damage to watches myself. The fact that you or I or the OP own an expensive watch means we implicitly accept the risk that it may get damaged, or stolen, my watches are insured for theft from my home but I have no cover for outside or accidental damage.

My philosophy is to take care of watches, I handle a lot of watches that don’t belong to me so I make sure I’m careful. I recently had the floor of my en- suite bathroom tiled, now I don’t take watches off in there, I’m conscious of the hazard........that’s the way my mind works and that’s the point I’m trying to make.

Nothing patronising about it, just common sense in my opinion.
    Actually, it is. Why do you think that the OP needs to be taught all this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Actually, it is. Why do you think that the OP needs to be taught all this?
    The main problem when an OP comes in with a question is that he will get varying advice and then there will be arguments as to whom is offering the best advice and quite often some advice gets trashed. Hence the original question gets left behind.

I agree with walkerwek1958 in that if you buy an expensive watch, be prepared to pay hefty bills for OEM repairs. The only reason not to go back to Rolex or an accredited repairer is to save money and if you are that type of person, stay well away from expensive watches.

Every time I buy a pre owned Rolex I put it in for a service within 24 hours of purchase because Goodness knows what bodgery the watch has had to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Every time I buy a pre owned Rolex I put it in for a service within 24 hours of purchase because Goodness knows what bodgery the watch has had to endure.
    Does this apply even if the pre-owned Rolex has just been serviced by Rolex? Or is it only if it's been serviced by an independent? What time limit do you place on the need for service? If it had been serviced by Rolex, say, 6 months previously, would you still put it in for a service?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Does this apply even if the pre-owned Rolex has just been serviced by Rolex? Or is it only if it's been serviced by an independent? What time limit do you place on the need for service? If it had been serviced by Rolex, say, 6 months previously, would you still put it in for a service?
    I don't trust any independent unless it is accredited because they can't get genuine spares.

If it has been serviced by Rolex or an accredited agent then it's ok.

If I ever sold a Rolex (unlikely TBH) then I would have it serviced before offering it up as I don't want any apologies on it.

Sorry to hear this, probably best to get it fixed ASAP otherwise it'll end up in draw never to be repaired.

Blog Entries
    Accidents happen and hope it gets sorted at minimal costs.

Shame you had to ensure two of our more upbeat members chiming in with their respective wisdom 🥱

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's fine. It's to be expected I guess. I got some useful information ( and some common sense life advice such as don't drop expensive things )and that is what I posted for. I will consider all the options , and decide what I will do, just c crappy time of year, with Christmas costs and new year tax bills etc.. I guess there is never a good time for it to happen.