closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterquartz losing them when worn?

Master

Oysterquartz losing them when worn?

I've got a nice Rolex Oysterquartz 17013, a late version from around 1995. It is in fine nick and during my ownership (2-3 years) I've had the battery changed twice. Now the watch has started to act strange. When it is in the watch box (99% of the time, I don't wear it much) it keeps time quite well, like the Oysterquartz do. When I take it out of the box and wear it, it behave erratically - it can lose 10min in one hour, then be stable for hours, then lose another 15min in one hour. What could it be?

Grand Master
    Its likely that the watch is stopping and starting, but I can`t explain why it runs OK when not worn.

Edit: possibly the battery isn’t mounted tightly and could be moving slightly during wear, thus causing intermittent stopping. That’s the best straw I can grasp. If that isn’t the answer it looks like it needs a trip to Rolex.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th December 2019 at 11:11.

Blog Entries
    Not sure - sounds like it’s stopping intermittently when worn. Maybe a service is advisable? I believe Rolex are best placed as they will have any parts you need. May be expensive but you have a lovely watch!

martyn.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I just changed the battery on mine which was behaving similarly. The battery wasnt dead but it was low, switching it solved the issue and its been spot on both on and off wrist for the past couple weeks.
    Id change the battery and then if no joy book it in for a service with Rolex. No real other options im afraid.

Rolex will change the battery for free, won't they?

Master
    Thanks guys, I thought the battery was not very old, but it might be around two years. I don't have RSC nearby, but I think my local watchmaker will be fine for changing the battery.

The theory about the battery not seated well is also worth investigating. The strange thing indeed is that the watch performs fine when in the box, but loses a lot of time when worn.

I will let you know what happens with the new battery!-)

Master
    was the correct battery fitted?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    was the correct battery fitted?
    The last time the battery was changed at an official AD service center, should be fine.

Craftsman
    The battery not seating well is not an issue with these movements. The way the battery fits in the movement and the way the bridle clamps it down, they never ever move.

I would say fit a new battery, but if the battery was fitted less than a year ago then watch needs a service. The movement will consume more and more current when in need of a service and run the batteries down quickly.
    Its standard Rolex pricing (£500.00) unless the motor unit needs replacing which adds a chunk to the estimate (£460.00 extra). However if it is running as you describe it is highly unlikely it actually needs replacing. The motor unit is a module that if worn/damaged in any way is replaced by Rolex, but a very good independent with lots of oysterquartz servicing experience can tackle it without the need for replacement. It is only when a pivot has broken, coil is damaged or the magnet itself is damage that they cant be repaired from.

Craftsman
    I had similar, turned out to be a battery on it's way out.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Rolex will change the battery for free, won't they?
    I believe that this nice benefit didnt apply outside of the USA (certainly not in the UK).
    Keith

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    In the USA when bought new you got a voucher for your first battery change FOC, sadly the generousity did not extend to the UK.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Could be a loose screw, that moves around when you wear it.

Battery swaps were meant to be FOC (otherwise its not a "perpetual" is my guess why) worldwide, but that seems to have been long forgotten. We charge for battery swap incl pressure test.

Master
    Well, it seems like the battery swap did fix the problem. I knew that the watch losing time is an indication of the battery going, but I found it strange that it only lost time when wearing it. Thanks everyone for your help!

744ER - this is your old watch!-) I really like it, it's in top condition and with black dial quite rare.
    Last edited by china; 13th December 2019 at 11:52.

Craftsman
    Just make a note of the date fitted and if it runs out quickly then get the movement serviced.

Master
    Well, I checked and the last battery change was in March 2018. I think the watch started acting this spring already, so the battery lasted a bit over a year. Maybe it is time for a service.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Well, I checked and the last battery change was in March 2018. I think the watch started acting this spring already, so the battery lasted a bit over a year. Maybe it is time for a service.
    Yes it probably needs a service. I checked my notes and I changed the battery in mine in February 2018 and it's still ticking fine, whether I wear it or not. I've had that exact problem with an Omega MQ and it turns out the motor had to be swapped out. Different watch design of course.

Beautiful two-tone BTW !