closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can you hoard air rifles

Blog Entries

Can you hoard air rifles

This article goes on to explain the police forces justification for the confiscation of mostly legally held air rifles with the exception of a taser and knuckleduster in the idea that if the shed was found then could the collection could fall into the wrong hands. Bear in mind all these vintage pellet guns and others can all be bought legally.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...found-17403858

What's going on now people can not expand a collection further than maybe one or two without it being viewed as going prepared for a mass rampage? At most they should of took the offensive weapons (all two of them) and left the rest as they were not in a public place and held at the property of the homeowner all bought legally .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I know people on Airgun forums who have lots of airguns from 50+ to hundreds, thing is certain airguns have had a huge rise in prices like vintage Rolex with many in the 4 figure range, tell these people to give up their pride and joy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I know people on Airgun forums who have lots of airguns from 50+ to hundreds, thing is certain airguns have had a huge rise in prices like vintage Rolex with many in the 4 figure range, tell these people to give up their pride and joy!
    Yes, I can see from this chaps hoard in the link he has a lot of Webley , some tempest , hurricane all of which I'm aware has increasing value in the collectors realm and stuff I've had ,used and sold myself . I'd be very disheartened to have it all confiscated on a whim by a do gooding neighbors tip off . Maybe there was good reason to remove the lot but it's like you can not even own anything these days that can't be confiscated. I hope this chap appeals and at least gets his legal items back .

Master
    There is a chap on here with must be 50+ air weapons - forget his name now, pos John Baz?

Master
    “Terrifying weapons”

I hate the sensational writing! Trouble is it just makes us all look like terrifying weapon owners! Won’t be long until the only people allowed guns and knives is the criminal. But it’ll keep the brain dead happy eh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    “Terrifying weapons”

I hate the sensational writing! Trouble is it just makes us all look like terrifying weapon owners! Won’t be long until the only people allowed guns and knives is the criminal. But it’ll keep the brain dead happy eh!
    Completely agree! Guns don’t kill people, people kill people! Handgun ‘past’ owners I know are still angry many years on about the confiscation and derisory compensation paid to legitimate and entirely upstanding people who were primarily gun club members. Buffoons who make these stupid all-encompassing confiscation decisions seem to entirely ignore the fact that criminals are the problem, not bona-fide gun owners who are almost always careful, law-abiding and responsible people!

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    There is a chap on here with must be 50+ air weapons - forget his name now, pos John Baz?
    Technically, you are correct, however, you would still be correct if you had added another zero I would think
    Cheers..
    Jase

Garden shed.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Garden shed.
    That’s the key in this case, easy for the local lowlife to break in and get their hands on the “weapons”. I certainly wouldn’t keep anything like that in a shed!

Personally I think the knives were far more dangerous than the airguns in the wrong hands.

That’s the key in this case, easy for the local lowlife to break in and get their hands on the “weapons”. I certainly wouldn’t keep anything like that in a shed!

Personally I think the knives were far more dangerous than the airguns in the wrong hands.
    Agreed, knives, crossbows, axes and taser.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

It's actually about stopping minors from gaining access.

The government advice is indeed that they should be store in the hosue and not in outbuildings or garden sheds.

Blog Entries

Yes some of the knives are a little suspect , maybe beyond decorative wallhangers. Also storing in a little tool shed was a bit of a daft idea. Should the police not have advised moving them inside?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    “Terrifying weapons”

In Scotland 2 years ago - they made “Air Weapons” illegal to own without a license. This was on the back of one toddler being killed by an air-rifle in the hands of little scrote off his tits on drugs.

Never referred to as ‘air guns’ - always ‘air weapons’, and they even offered an “Amnesty” about 3 months before the law came into effect! I did query Police Scotland how you could have an amnesty for something that wasn’t against the law.

Afterwards - they crowed about “taking xxx,000 dangerous ‘weapons’ off the streets!!!

From the article “Storing weapons anywhere, let alone a garden shed, whether they are legally held or not, is worrying to say the least".

On that basis, if you have a legally held air rifle, stored in a gun cabinet, the Police consider it worrying?!

Blog Entries
    “Weapons”?

Master
    -Potentially improper storage;
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key
    -A taser was found. This is a prohibited firearm and no member of the public will be granted a licence to possess one.
    In view of the above, would you want to live next door to someone like that? I would suspect that the Police had been given intelligence suggesting all was not right, and that intelligence was enough to persuade a Magistrate to issue a warrant.
    I'm all for lawful ownership of firearms by responsible people who pose no danger to the public, but I'm not sure that,as reported, that is the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Technically, you are correct, however, you would still be correct if you had added another zero I would think
    I think it’s a long time since he only had 50! 500 might be a low estimate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    From the article “Storing weapons anywhere, let alone a garden shed, whether they are legally held or not, is worrying to say the least".
    I suspect a few people have been killed with screwdrivers, hammers, saws etc so best not keep them in the garden shed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I suspect a few people have been killed with screwdrivers, hammers, saws etc so best not keep them in the garden shed either.
    And the prize for “totally ridiculous comment” goes to...........

dammit , I have close to 80 clothes pegs in a bag in one of my sheds - what the dickens am I supposed to do now ???

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    dammit , I have close to 80 clothes pegs in a bag in one of my sheds - what the dickens am I supposed to do now ???
    Not worry about your ability to retain clothes on the line come spring?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    And the prize for “totally ridiculous comment” goes to...........
    I think you missed my point but never mind.

Terrifying weapons !?

I see nothing wrong with having lots of knives & airguns, ok maybe don't keep them in a shed but if you collect stuff you have a lot of it.

A hammer is bloody terrifying in the hands of a nutter, as is a car, or a golf club or pretty much anything. What do we do ban everything !

It's the nutter wielding the item that's the issue, not the item !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Completely agree! Guns don’t kill people, people kill people! Handgun ‘past’ owners I know are still angry many years on about the confiscation and derisory compensation paid to legitimate and entirely upstanding people who were primarily gun club members. Buffoons who make these stupid all-encompassing confiscation decisions seem to entirely ignore the fact that criminals are the problem, not bona-fide gun owners who are almost always careful, law-abiding and responsible people!
    Yes I was one of those hit. My wife and I both held firearms certificates, between us we had 12 handguns and two rifles. It still rancours me that we had them effectively confiscated. The payout wasn't derisory, it was quite realistic, they even paid for ammunition loading equipment. We had a pair of Colt 45s which we had specially commissioned and the police paid us accordingly, i.e. more then two single revolvers.But yes the loss of a great hobby and the social life could never be replaced by the compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Yes I was one of those hit. My wife and I both held firearms certificates, between us we had 12 handguns and two rifles. It still rancours me that we had them effectively confiscated. The payout wasn't derisory, it was quite realistic, they even paid for ammunition loading equipment. We had a pair of Colt 45s which we had specially commissioned and the police paid us accordingly, i.e. more then two single revolvers.But yes the loss of a great hobby and the social life could never be replaced by the compensation.
    Neither Michael Ryan or Thomas Hamilton were criminals until they had each shot and killed 16.

Go and stand at the gates of Dunblane Primary School and complain about losing your “great hobby”.

The current gun laws weren’t put in place to thwart criminals, they were put in place to prevent “upstanding people” from being able to make a snap decision or planned decision to kill.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Terrifying weapons !?

I see nothing wrong with having lots of knives & airguns, ok maybe don't keep them in a shed but if you collect stuff you have a lot of it.

A hammer is bloody terrifying in the hands of a nutter, as is a car, or a golf club or pretty much anything. What do we do ban everything !

It's the nutter wielding the item that's the issue, not the item !
    Safeguarding coupled with do gooders. The reactions have nothing to do with common sense, what the reasonable man might feel. It is all about utter bollocks. Don't you dare have a photo of a knife and an air rifle on your Instagram, innocent until proven guilty will no longer apply. You are trouble, end of discussion.

Blog Entries
    Neither Michael Ryan or Thomas Hamilton were criminals until they had each shot and killed 16.

Go and stand at the gates of Dunblane Primary School and complain about losing your “great hobby”.

The current gun laws weren’t put in place to thwart criminals, they were put in place to prevent “upstanding people” from being able to make a snap decision or planned decision to kill.
    Thomas Hamilton wasn’t “upstanding people” by any stretch of the imagination.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thomas Hamilton wasn’t “upstanding people” by any stretch of the imagination.
    Never stated he or MR were, nor do I think that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Typical hype from the media, but the guy was foolish to hold illegal as well as legal.
    doesnt help that the major of Liverpool is anti shooting.

Master

It’s still about the person, not the gun. I dislike that argument as people just lump you in with a deranged murderer, I find it quite offensive to be honest.

The only difference if someone wants to do a similar atrocity these days is they just have a different place to buy their gun from.

On the news the other week there was a bloke stopped with 65 hand guns in his car boot, how many are coming in we don’t stop/see? A darn sight more every day than were being bought legitimately back in the day by licence holders I’d bet!

The point is, persecuting the decent man has zero effect on someone who wants to do harm. If some nutter wants to rampage with a gun they could very easily still, the fact is most people don’t want to. We can still own dozens of guns that could be used to mass murder but it just doesn’t happen until one mentally unhinged person decides its time to do so.

Blog Entries

Perhaps the police should have applied the law as it stood before Hamilton finally became insane.

"By 1995, a police officer sent to assess Hamilton's latest gun application was more strident, saying he "didn't feel comfortable in his presence and was glad to get out of the house". The officer said he believed Hamilton had tried to "intimidate" him by showing him a revolver in an oilskin. But, again, he saw no reason to deny the firearms application."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/...ukcrime.ukguns

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    -Potentially improper storage;
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key
    -A taser was found. This is a prohibited firearm and no member of the public will be granted a licence to possess one.
    In view of the above, would you want to live next door to someone like that? I would suspect that the Police had been given intelligence suggesting all was not right, and that intelligence was enough to persuade a Magistrate to issue a warrant.
    I'm all for lawful ownership of firearms by responsible people who pose no danger to the public, but I'm not sure that,as reported, that is the case here.
    I tend to agree.

Looking at the pictures, the gentleman in question was obviously in violation of British regulations for the safe storage of airguns to keep them out of the hands of children, as they were on full display in his garden shed which, I assume, was probably not exactly Fort Knox. Same with all those knives, most of which were clearly more obtained for their terrifying looks than for practicality or collector value. Even the two axes were more weapon-like than practical hatchets to split your firewood. Then add the taser and the crossbows. Even if the man did not have the immediate intention to run into the street and start killing people, it seems to point to a somewhat troubled personality. Not a sports shooter who just likes to train with an air rifle or a knife collector, but more someone who was seeking to build himself a sort of arsenal from objects that were just within the limits of the law when he bought them. And then displayed them for himself or to impress friends, in a place that was not exactly safe. A lot of twisted fantasy stuff. Inflated to unreasonable proportions by the media. I would not be very happy to have said gentleman as my immediate neighbour.

Apart from that, as soon as you have some terrain with lots of trees that need pruning, grass that needs cutting, bramble bushes to get rid of and a woodstove for which you cut and split firewood, you are likely to possess one or more decent axes, a scythe, a billhook, a couple of utility knives that you use to clear bushes, debark, delimb and make kindling with. Maybe you once cut down a hawthorn bush and made a nice shilelagh from it, just to practice your woodcarving skills. All that could be interpreted and confiscated by the police as 'weapons by intent' and hyped by journalists as 'terrifying' whenever authorities would find an excuse for a weapons search at your place. While all you did was heat your home in winter, keep those brambles under control and make yourself a walking stick because you have a bad knee... It all depends on the story attached to the objects.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    I tend to agree.

Looking at the pictures, the gentleman in question was obviously in violation of British regulations for the safe storage of airguns to keep them out of the hands of children, as they were on full display in his garden shed which, I assume, was probably not exactly Fort Knox. Same with all those knives, most of which were clearly more obtained for their terrifying looks than for practicality or collector value. Even the two axes were more weapon-like than practical hatchets to split your firewood. Then add the taser and the crossbows. Even if the man did not have the immediate intention to run into the street and start killing people, it seems to point to a somewhat troubled personality. Not a sports shooter who just likes to train with an air rifle or a knife collector, but more someone who was seeking to build himself a sort of arsenal from objects that were just within the limits of the law when he bought them. And then displayed them for himself or to impress friends, in a place that was not exactly safe. A lot of twisted fantasy stuff. Inflated to unreasonable proportions by the media. I would not be very happy to have said gentleman as my immediate neighbour.

Apart from that, as soon as you have some terrain with lots of trees that need pruning, grass that needs cutting, bramble bushes to get rid of and a woodstove for which you cut and split firewood, you are likely to possess one or more decent axes, a scythe, a billhook, a couple of utility knives that you use to clear bushes, debark, delimb and make kindling with. Maybe you once cut down a hawthorn bush and made a nice shilelagh from it, just to practice your woodcarving skills. All that could be interpreted and confiscated by the police as 'weapons by intent' and hyped by journalists as 'terrifying' whenever authorities would find an excuse for a weapons search at your place. While all you did was heat your home in winter, keep those brambles under control and make yourself a walking stick because you have a bad knee... It all depends on the story attached to the objects.
    Quite.
    'Weapons cache hidden in home', or, 'kitchen knives stored sensibly out of sight'?

Master
    Quite.
    'Weapons cache hidden in home', or, 'kitchen knives stored sensibly out of sight'?

Excellent example! Rare sight though, kitchen knives stored that way. Can you lock that door against nosy kids?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    Excellent example! Rare sight though, kitchen knives stored that way. Can you lock that door against nosy kids?
    No need, all kids anywhere near know better than to rummage where they shouldn't! Also wouldn't see knives as a weapon to carry around.

Quite.

Looks like a good way - of getting stabbed in the foot.

Is it still a stab if you've been clumsy enough to drop it and gravity is doing all the work?

I have similar, but wall-mounted. If I were to drop a blade from one of those, it would do a darn sight more harm than the height at which the OP's mounted his.

Quite.
    'Weapons cache hidden in home', or, 'kitchen knives stored sensibly out of sight
    That’s a great idea.

Can you hoard air rifles

Quite.

Very interesting.

Do you find the magnetic holder effective?

If so, I’d be keen to know the make, as I have a magnetic knife rack in the (lockable) larder at the end of my garden - in reality a glorified privy! - but I’ve found that the knives have a habit of slipping off with an alarming frequency. Most are butchery knives, so not particularly heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Very interesting.

If so, I’d be keen to know the make, as I have a magnetic knife rack in the (lockable) larder at the end of my garden - in reality a glorified privy! - but I’ve found that the knives have a habit of slipping off with an alarming frequency. Most are butchery knives, so not particularly heavy.
    I'm not the OP, but I have two of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253838037052

The main reason for going with those over the exposed magnet ones like the OP was to minimise scratching to the blades (I think the OP's one is exposed?).

Plenty make their own by using a router to cut out channels and attach suitably strong magnets to the wood. But at the price I got my bamboo ones, it was a no brainer. I do keep the blades point down though, so that if slippage does occur, the handle front acts as a rest against the block.

Can you hoard air rifles

Super, thanks for that link - I’ll give one of the bamboo ones a try.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Very interesting.

It was one of this type designed for spanners etc!
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    If you slam the door they will fall off, but not a problem on soft close doors or if you close the door gently. Have thought about having one above another for more grip, but never got around to it!

Metal is exposed but I'm not bothered about scratches on kitchen knives, they're tools like any other knife to me. (doesn't mean they can't start off posh!)