closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BBC and Samsung balls up

Master

BBC and Samsung balls up

Anyone else fallen foul of the iplayer outage on a whole raft of fairly new Samsung smart TVs?
    We have two and neither work despite software updates. There is a list of devices where the fix will be "sometime in early 2020", that's just great, thanks.
    There doesn't seem to be fix yet....

If desperate you could buy a Chromecast or two. £20 in most shops.

I'm encountering issues with Amazon Prime Video and NOW TV on my Samsung KS7000 - both used to work, but a couple of weeks ago just started playing up. Now neither ever loads despite reinstalls of both and updated software.

Master
    Had Samsung smart TVs for a while and the apps seem to have occasional issues which are resolved after a while with a software update.

Often need to clear the recent apps and select again to get them to start up properly - especially Now TV. Not had a problem with iPlayer though

Mine a 2015 UE5500 wont perform and update .....hmmmm

Master
    I’ve got a Panasonic smart tv and iPlayer hasn’t worked for a couple of years

ATLF.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I’ve got a Panasonic smart tv and iPlayer hasn’t worked for a couple of years
    We had that a couple of months back. Updating the software/firmware on the TV and waiting for the BBC to issue a fixed iplayer worked for us.

Master
    Not TV but BBC related. Mother in law is losing her sight and is struggling her dab radio. so we bought her an echo dot eg ‘Alexa play radio 4’

Worked well until 10 ago, now on command Bbc sounds plays the radio.........for about 60 seconds then it switches off. A quick google reveals a dispute between amazon and the bbc over licensing. Unless it’s resolved quickly Alexas going back home to the mothership!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    We had that a couple of months back. Updating the software/firmware on the TV and waiting for the BBC to issue a fixed iplayer worked for us.
    I think our tellys to old for updates 5 years we just watch catch up through my ps4 or the chromecast we just bought

Journeyman
    Probably no help at all but when my LG did this I had to unplug and reset the hub.

I had this and contacted Samsung. They arranged for someone to remotely log in to my TV and reset something. Iplayer, my5 and Now TV were all sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I had this and contacted Samsung. They arranged for someone to remotely log in to my TV and reset something. Iplayer, my5 and Now TV were all sorted.
    Huge amount of work for them to fix thousands of faulty installations, amazing how they can get this so wrong. Glad yours is ok now.

Journeyman
    I saw this mentioned on Twitter yesterday/this morning...
    https://twitter.com/marcusbrig/statu...15443422253057

And over at AVForums:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/bbc-iplayer.2263380/

Basically there's been a change in the security certificate that iplayer uses and the tv needs to be updated to obtain the correct certificate. Samsung seem to be doing a controlled rollout of tv firmware, so some tv's may have to wait a long while to get iplayer back.

I tend to avoid the built in apps. You're limited to the once a year updates while the manufacturer can be bothered supporting the tv you bought.

Grab a cheap chromecast/fire tv and use that instead...

I've a couple of older smart tv's and have problems with apps. I now use a Nvidia pro box for each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/NVID...3-0AE9E388B3CD

My older Panasonic Vt Plasma has had a problem for a while with Iplayer no problem with Netflix and others ,i just connect through my laptop to watch on the larger screen .

My Sony TV stopped supporting Amazon Prime Video in September. The TV warned us, then about 2 weeks before D-Day Amazon emailed me, noting the TV app was expiring, and asking if I’d like a half-price Firestick. I thought that was clever. Next day it turned up and it’s brilliant.

Craftsman
    Gave up with iplayer ages, never seems to run well on any device I've tried.