closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My 2 oldest wristwatches

My 2 oldest wristwatches

Here are some pics of 2 fairly recent arrivals , both approx date from mid 40s onwards and are the oldest I own

Uweco Chrono bi -compax - my first column wheel chronograph with the Cal 385 fitted , not in perfect condition case or dial wise but lets just say its showing its age ! The hands are a lovely blue stick type and the chrono dials have patina'd to a darker colour giving a nice effect to this little dial, was serviced previously and keeping good time.
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Marvin Full Calendar - my first full calendar complication watch and fitted with the Cal 790 , I love this little watch the crown operated date bezel really cool !looks like a full european model as the days of the week are French with Italian months of the year . The case needs work as lost its plating and brassing is bad ! there has been a previous repair to one of the lugs by the looks of it but it works ok and had a recent service . The dial is amazing and Im 90% sure all original .
    [IMG] [/IMG]

I cant find alot of information on either watch with the Marvin being the worst ! I know Uweco were Universal watch company / Universal Geneve and have found the history timeline and I know Martel made the movement thats in my watch and the Marvin I can only find a broken one that was for sale about 18 months ago on Ebay. The crown operated bezel would have been quite unusual at the time and the Brevet sign on the bezel suggest there is a patent for it .

Master
    Oh I'm liking them, especially the Marvin.

Love the chrono, although I would love to see it a little closer.
    But please do not call it Bi-Compax - it is a non-term.
    The people who invented the Compax terminology, Universal Geneve, call this a Uni-Compax.
    Compax is a 3 sub-dial chrono, and Bi-Compax never existed. It is a misnomer that has recently been invented.

Dave

Sorry Dave I stand corrected mate This is what happens when you start Googling stuff and trying to learn/research !

A perfect example of dont believe everything you read on line , I will do some close ups on the watches a bit later and post up.

The Marvin has a problem with its spring bars that i have just discovered ! Not a major drama but I think I need some advice on a way forward with it.

As promised some better close ups ,unfortunately you cant really see the blue hands in the photos they look alot better in sunlight . Fixed bars are fitted with a new strap purchased from SC (Thanks Rev-O). I think the strap suits the watch well and is better than the manky Nato it came on! . Lovely olive shaped pushers .

[IMG] [/IMG]

Here are some more pics of the Marvin [IMG] [/IMG]

The problem I have with the Marvin is the missing spring bar ! Obviously not going to risk wearing it like it is just hanging on a bit of leather . I assume this originally had fixed bars ?

My plan at the moment is to buy some 18mm spring bars that both ends are removable ,unscrew the pins in both ends and remove, make a small cut in the ends along the length of the bar , open it up with a pair of tweezers/ mandrel, fit over the stubs and then close tight around the stubs on the lugs ! This will be a temp solution until i can get the watch off for a full case resto and re plate . The guy I want to do this is not taking any more work on at the moment due to illness ,so it will be a wait !

Any further advice would be appreciated , a Ebay seller that supplies various spring bars has suggested a small solder joint to properly secure ,but although very good advice I think would cause a bigger problem when the case goes off for resto

All the best
    Rob

Master
    Thanks for posting, interesting read - the Marvin looks lovely

Thanks Bill , unfortunately not much info can be found ! Its a rare one by the looks of it and I would love to know more . I think its definitely worth restoring although it wont be original case finish ,the dial will be .

Both are delightful and I obviously have a soft spot for the Uweco. I'll take a look in Sala later to see if there's any more information but you can be rest assured that the watch has all the hallmarks of coming out of the Universal Geneve factory.

You need female spring bars for the Marvin - it never had fixed bars. You can get them from Cousins:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/fe...24mm-iso-swiss

I'd also take a look at these open-ended straps which might suit the Uweco better:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/cr...ver-semi-shine

I didn't think the case on either looks that bad and I'd probably live with them. One thing I have learnt is that you need to make sure you have a really good recommendation for casework.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Just to update this thread ,I have now found the spring bars I need . They are Hollow end or Female fit spring bars ! I will be ordering some shortly instead of messing about cutting normal shoulder bars .
    I have never owned a watch with this style of fitting before but from what I have read its a very secure fitting and a much better way of fixing straps. The only trouble is I will need open ended or nato style as once these are in they dont come back out very easily.

Thanks Carlton You posted mate as I was typing the update

You'll be fine. I have a few watches with them and, whilst I probably don't change straps as often, it isn't a problem with normal straps. Make sure you have a good spring bar tool and maybe a loupe.

I have the Bergeon spring bar tool and a couple of loupes . I have one question do I buy the exact lug width ( as a normal springbar ) or drop down a couple of mil?

The reason I ask is there is no shoulder on these and I need clearance for that solid bar to fit between the 2 spigots !

FYI its approx 18 mm lug width or just under . I looked at Cousins and ebay not alot available in the uk on the latter , so looks like a Cousins order but they have 16 mm and 18 mm which ones do I buy ?

Any help would be very appreciated as Im a novice with this style of bar .

18mm - you buy the same size as you would normally. You can always file them down a bit though I doubt that will be necessary.

Thanks I have just been looking at another thread on Omegaforums about fitting them . Not the easiest things the first time you do it but once you had a few goes like anything it becomes easy ! as you have posted

Cousins description says the sizes will fit between the horns ! I assume they mean the spigots ,so I will order the 18mm and hopefully they fit .

Any further info from the sala book would be good , as I have read online that the Uweco name was the budget/ cheaper Universal geneve . I have also read that the Uweco and Uveco name was the original Universal watch company before the re branding into Universal Geneve in the mid forties . Its a bit conflicting so I dont think there is alot of info known and what is actually fact about the early days of the company.

Just to close the loop on the Chrono again, I assume you know it too (we were discussing one earlier) looks like a Valjoux 22 movement, another early one without Incabloc shock protection, and this time with some very nice gilding to the main plates and bridges.
    I too have the feeling that UWECO is something to do with Universal Watch E? COmpany.
    In fact I am now certain, the calibre is numbered 385, which is a Universal Geneve nomenclature.
    It has clearly spent a lot of time on a steel bracelet, with folded endlinks, as they seem to have cut into the undeside of the base metal lugs.

Dave

I'm not generally a chrono fan, but the Uweco is absolutely gorgeous. How much do these go for, approximately?

Thanks Sweets I did reply on the other thread but my knowledge of these is quite limited , I thought it may have been a toss up between Valjoux or early Venus 150 cal or 170 !
    I assumed that the rub marks were from some filing after the soldering on the fixed bars , but what you said makes sense . I purchased this on a manky nato . I saw this at the Watch fair at Uxbridge a couple of weekends ago, I took the sellers number as knew absolutely nothing about Uweco . Went home and Googled the hell out of it . I am looking to add some well priced chronographs to my collection

I rang Paul the owner a couple of days later and we met up , really nice guy not a watch trader ( he works in IT )but a collector who likes to buy watches enjoy them for a while then sell on when he gets bored. He mainly collects column wheel chronos . He has a lovely Gallet and Girard Perregaux with Excelsior Park .

I did get this cheap at just over Ģ400 , there is one for sale in Italy same dial but in better condition for 800 euros . The black dial ones sell for alot more !

I think these represent great value for money when you consider how much a UG sells for and its nearly the same bloody watch ! But as Paul said hang on to it Rob and I think you will be surprised at the value in a years time , as these are still under the radar !

Rob

Apprentice
    Hi all

First post here on this forum so I hope I managed to upload a picture of my Marvin Autodate correct. Its a lovely pair of old watches you have OP.

My Marvin Autodate is from 1952 and all original minus the strap. i changed the acryl glass and like the look of the watch. I seems to work fine and only gain 1 min a day or so.

I got this as a gift from my neighbor. They are an elderly couple and the watch was her fathers. Bought new in 1952 and left in a drawer for the last 20 years. I have helped them with their house and car and the know I collect watches, so the gave it to me. The internt is wage about this watch but the do come up on ebay and other sites from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dahlen; 13th December 2019 at 11:13.

Great couple of first posts thanks, that looks great and a really nice gift from your neighbours ! It helps me with identifying a rough manufacture date , as your watch is typically 50s , those hands and calendar arrangement , with that style of case !

Roughly what diameter is your watch ? mines just under 34 mm not including crown. Do you know what caliber/movement you have in your watch ?

Apprentice

Smile

Thanks Robo - been looking for a while on this forum but when I saw a Marvin I couldnīt resist to reply :)

My watch is 37 mm and has fixed springbars - so I bought a strap on coussions.uk that fit perfectly. I found a small local watchdealer who changed the acrylglass for 130 dkk (around 15 pounds).

I cant seem to upload photos (other than attachments) - is it the wrong type of file?

You need a photo hosting site I use Imgur its free ! you can also size photos for message boards and forums.

Thats a nice size vintage quite unusual back in the 50s , probably a very expensive watch at the time . Do you know what movement number it uses ?

Apprentice
    Sorry - I dont know anything about the movement of the watch (and I havnīt had the back off). I only know a little about Seiko movemnets and the electric Timex and Citizens (but thats another story). The size of 37 mm without crown is very big. I think the watch was expensive in the days (the original was a farmer who owned quiet a lot of land and left this watch along with a couple of Omegas). My neighbors gave there sons the choice between the watches and they both choose Omega. They then gave the Marvin to me but as a none runner. I told them that it was running fine (they were looking at the large date pointer as the seconds hand instead of the subsecond dial). They were just glad it worked and were even more happy when I got the new braclet and glass for it so it looked like new again.