closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Santorini holiday

Santorini holiday

After a difficult year I'm looking at going to Santorini in late april / early May for 9 nights with the wife. I'm looking at ideas of places to stay on the west side of the island overlooking the volcano. Its still sort of the off season then so looking at £1500 - £1800 for the accommodation ideally. Only interested in B&B really as we intend to be out and about most days. Don't mind if hotel, B&B, villa etc.Close to good eating places and bars ideally with good sea views. I would appreciate any hints and tips. Also looking to hire a car as well.

thanks

Friends have a house south of Pyrgos and we are lucky enough to get invited twice a year, for the last 7 years so have had a chance to snoop around
    PM me your e mail address and I will send some hints if you like. Avoid Thira town if possible, it is just for tourists but plenty of choices.

Craftsman
    Was in Santorini in September with my wife. We stayed in Oia (pronounced ee-ah). It’s beautiful, but also suffers from tourists being bussed in from cruise ships to view the sunsets, which has the effect of making the streets around the view point an absolute no go in the early evening. I would say it’s just about worth the hassle factor (I suppose its a bit rich being a tourist and complaining about other tourists, but we stayed in a cliff apartment and had people standing on our balcony taking selfies!). We picked up a great little map from the book shop in Oia (Atlantis Books), it has some great suggestions for day trips, locations for a chilled out picnic etc etc. Worth contacting them and getting them to send you it (Think it was €5). The previous year we were there we stayed in Kamari, great little hotel, chilled out location, but on the East coast so maybe not what you’re looking for. We visited Thera for a day trip. Wouldn’t rush back and would certainly recommend you don’t stay there. Bit cheap and not in keeping with the lovely laid back vibe to be found in most of Santorini. We’ll definitely go back , and will probably stay somewhere around Oia again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Friends have a house south of Pyrgos and we are lucky enough to get invited twice a year, for the last 7 years
    Heaven!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you the replies so far folks, much appreciated. Taken on board and having another look at the map and booking.com

Grand Master
    Been twice, but stayed in Perissa. Thira and Oia get VERY busy when the cruise ships come in, and at sunset. given how small Santorini is there is a reasonable bus service between the major resorts. make sure you visit Akrotiri, it's along similar lines to Pompeii but 1500 years older. Also there is an excellent local craft brewery, Santorini Brewing Company, the Crazy Donkey is excellent but must be approached with extreme caution! Beware of prices in Thira, a double Lagavulin in a whisky bar there cost me 50 euros (i was already well away or i would have walked out) In Perissa i drank larger shots of Lavagulin for 5 euros and had a free cigar with the malt loving owner. we are probably heading back this year or next, to the Gardinia Hotel in Perissa.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thank you ktmog6uk. Especially for the info on pricing. Akrotiri sound very interesting and I'll add it to the list. Perissa is on the wrong side of the island unfortunately for me this time.

Nothing to add other than beautiful place and make sure you by a souvenir made from the volcanic rock.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Been twice, but stayed in Perissa. Thira and Oia get VERY busy when the cruise ships come in, and at sunset. given how small Santorini is there is a reasonable bus service between the major resorts. make sure you visit Akrotiri, it's along similar lines to Pompeii but 1500 years older. Also there is an excellent local craft brewery, Santorini Brewing Company, the Crazy Donkey is excellent but must be approached with extreme caution! Beware of prices in Thira, a double Lagavulin in a whisky bar there cost me 50 euros (i was already well away or i would have walked out) In Perissa i drank larger shots of Lavagulin for 5 euros and had a free cigar with the malt loving owner. we are probably heading back this year or next, to the Gardinia Hotel in Perissa.
    I've been thinking about this over night. Apart from having cheaper bars etc in Perissa did you miss the sunsets every night? I believe its one of the main reasons for going there and can see the attraction of being on the west coast. But the more I think about I am open to the idea of the west coast as well. Is there enough bar / restaurants etc in Perissa to keep you amused on an evening?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Nothing to add other than beautiful place and make sure you by a souvenir made from the volcanic rock.
    I'll be taking an empty suitcase for souvenirs and drink.

Bits of Santorini look like this..

Amazing, thank you

Looks great

Beautiful location. We stayed in Erossea Villa which was incredible.

The main town got completely over-run with cruise ships day-trippers but we managed to avoid it all.

Hope you have a great time. Please don´t ust the donkey rides. :)

Apprentice
    Santorini has wineries. Do you like wine tastings or tours?
    Shopping is big in Oia as are sunset viewings at night
    Beaches are not fine sand. I'd opt to sit poolside with a good view of the caldera.
    There are some ruins if you are interested in ancient history.
    A cruise via catermaran of the island would be fun.
    Lots of nice little bars and restaurants (Tavernas) on beaches or in villages.
    Sunsets are most beautiful.
    https://aktis.taxi/ is the company I would use as several visiting friends have done & been very happy with them & their service.
    Last edited by Zurvan7; 7th January 2020 at 10:45.

Grand Master
    just picked this thread up again. the sunset is spectacular BUT every tourist on the island is trying to see the same thing, do it once then get well away! Perissa has plenty of tavernas and bars as does the next resort up, probably more so than than Thira etc. they are mostly on a strip along the beach which is lively without being boisterous, lots of couples and families. also make sure you take a trip over to the volcano (nea kamini) on a cheesy tourist pirate boat, well worth the trip. if you pm your email i can send some pics from on the volcano etc from our last visit in 2017.
    i've been informed by swmbo that we are spending her 50th along perissas black volcanic beach next year!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I've been thinking about this over night. Apart from having cheaper bars etc in Perissa did you miss the sunsets every night? I believe its one of the main reasons for going there and can see the attraction of being on the west coast. But the more I think about I am open to the idea of the west coast as well. Is there enough bar / restaurants etc in Perissa to keep you amused on an evening?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be taking an empty suitcase for souvenirs and drink.
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 6th January 2020 at 02:05.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    That really does look stunning. We have always fancied a trip to this part of the world but never managed to make it happen so far. It is still on the list.

Was it not slightly unnerving being on the cliff edges? (I may have an unfounded fear, lost a friend who sadly passed away at a cliff edge due to collapsing rock, 3 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    That really does look stunning. We have always fancied a trip to this part of the world but never managed to make it happen so far. It is still on the list.

Was it not slightly unnerving being on the cliff edges? (I may have an unfounded fear, lost a friend who sadly passed away at a cliff edge due to collapsing rock, 3 years ago).
    I am not good with heights so , yes , a bit unnerving, especially as some of the buildings along the edge of the caldera look a bit "shanty" like. There have been one or two incidents recently where incautious use of the ubiquitous quad bikes have pitched over the edge. Sorry to hear about your late friend, that is a shock.
    However , it is not essential to get right to the edge to appreciate the panorama.

Santorini holiday

Went to Santorini in the early 90s, when I was in my early 20s as part of a Greek Island hopping backpacking holiday.

I’d like to go back - a beautiful place, but it probably changed a lot, and now is very much an upmarket place to go.

Back then, most folk came by ferry (about 6 hours from Piraeus via Paros and Naxos) and walked, or took the bus up the long hill to Fira.

Accommodation was easy even in the summer months, and prices were gentle. Fond memories.