closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: great driving & riding at the Ring...

Master

great driving & riding at the Ring...

Porsche 991.2 GT3RS vs unknown motorcyle .. The Porsche driver is really rinsing it and the biker he catches is no slouch either! I don't know one Porsche from another but i think they look nice.. Do they all sound a bit like this if you cane them thru the gears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbII0mjR-xQ

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not sure what the bike was, poss a ZX10R, but the rider looked a real fast guy. In fact, if he hadn’t let the Porsche past I doubt it would have. Good to watch anyway.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cars own the place.
    Few years back I recorded 164 mph flat on the tank there, and Porches and race M3's just cruised past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Not sure what the bike was, poss a ZX10R, but the rider looked a real fast guy. In fact, if he hadn’t let the Porsche past I doubt it would have. Good to watch anyway.

Stuart

But he loses out on the many corners - the Porsche caught him not the other way round. He is still v fast round there though, must know the Ring very well..

In 12 months time: For Sale, low mileage, one careful owner.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I know who had the bigger balls.

Very quick riding / driving. Having ridden and driven cars I would say that rider had a lot more skill, bike is green so chances are a ZX10R. Both going really fast tho, just shows the power of bikes, a 10K bike compared to a 100K Porsche. What amazed me more was the random selection of cars on track! he went past a BMW estate with a roof box.

I know some friends that did the ring on their bikes but only did it once, said they had loads of super cars squeezing them into corners and that track is not that wide. Put them off going back again. I never did make it for that trip :-(.

[QUOTE=bry nylon;5269840]Porsche 991.2 GT3RS vs unknown motorcyle .. The Porsche driver is really rinsing it and the biker he catches is no slouch either! I don't know one Porsche from another but i think they look nice.. Do they all sound a bit like this if you cane them thru the gears?

No the GT3 RS is a very special car compared to a basic Carrera, both still a flat 6 engine though.

Master
    Talking of big kahoonies at the ring, check out this R500 having some fun with a Porsche.
    He's actually fully airborne at around 1minute 50 seconds....nutta and not a flappy paddle in sight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8pURqBAVQ

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    But he loses out on the many corners - the Porsche caught him not the other way round. He is still v fast round there though, must know the Ring very well..
    If that was an actual race situation (which it never would be of course), the Porsche would have overtaken him at the moment he caught him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Talking of big kahoonies at the ring, check out this R500 having some fun with a Porsche.
    He's actually fully airborne at around 1minute 50 seconds....nutta and not a flappy paddle in sight

That looks way more fun than the Porsche.

Master
    7.40 from bridge to gantry is a fair old pace considering the traffic and the bike holding him up briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Not sure what the bike was, poss a ZX10R, but the rider looked a real fast guy.
    ZX10R C1 of 2004/5 vintage. One of the best looking and most evil handling litre bikes of the modern era. Nice ones can be had for around £4k.

Blog Entries
    The guy on the motor is obviously the wiser man... The way the Porsche driver closes in on the motor and follows him with only a few meters distance is a recipe for disaster. When the motor guy falls, he'll be instantly killed by the wheels of the Porsche.

Two questions: what's the amber light on the speedo and what's he doing with his right hand when he reaches for something down the steering column?

Cars are far, far quicker than bikes through the corners - the advantages of four wheels over two. Whilst bikes are far, far quicker accelerating, but in the end cars are going to be quicker over a lap (comparing approximately like for like of course, if that is possible).

(Though as someone said the rider has far bigger balls - I’ve driven hundreds of laps at the ‘ring but don’t think I’d dare ride a bike there.)

Thanks for posting...did you stay for Lap 2...?

I came back to this thread having just watched:

Master

wow - that was even more impressive than the Porsche driver in the prev video. Certainly seems to work a lot harder to pilot it.. Thought he was going to come a cropper when overtaking the black Porsche that moved over into his 'side' as he approached it.. Must be pretty scary though with quick guys suddenly bearing down on you.

Re the biker in the prev video - if he was on an old ZX10 what would he be like on a modern superbike - R1 etc? I'm not up to date with modern superbikes or what one would be quickest round there..

Edited to add - just watched Lap 2 , - how does that Caterham driver fit in there with his mahoosive cojones ?
    Last edited by bry nylon; 11th December 2019 at 21:03.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    wow - that was even more impressive than the Porsche driver in the prev video. Certainly seems to work a lot harder to pilot it.. Thought he was going to come a cropper when overtaking the black Porsche that moved over into his 'side' as he approached it.. Must be pretty scary though with quick guys suddenly bearing down on you.

Re the biker in the prev video - if he was on an old ZX10 what would he be like on a modern superbike - R1 etc? I'm not up to date with modern superbikes or what one would be quickest round there..
    As a life-long biker I can say that the biker has serious skill and even larger balls! He might go a little faster on one of the current superbikes but I doubt there would be a great deal in it. In the thirty years I’ve been riding bikes I would say that the improvements in tyre technology have made the most difference to safety and corner speed (to me anyway - I’m not at that guy’s level though).

Master
    I think Andy Carlile still holds the record (B2G) on a bike and that was on a fettled 2005 R1 with around 160bhp. The latest R1 has around 200bhp from the showroom along with TC, wheelie control, active suspension etc so no doubt he'd go quicker. That was done maybe 8 years ago and I'm surprised no one else has had a crack at it.

Edit to add: Here's the vid -

Last edited by Dynam0humm; 11th December 2019 at 21:32.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I think Andy Carlile still holds the record (B2G) on a bike and that was on a fettled 2005 R1 with around 160bhp. The latest R1 has around 200bhp from the showroom along with TC, wheelie control, active suspension etc so no doubt he'd go quicker. That was done maybe 8 years ago and I'm surprised no one else has had a crack at it.
    I don’t think there would be that much in it. It’s very hard to use the extra 40bhp.

I’m sure it would be quicker, but not by as much as the raw stats would suggest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    I don’t think there would be that much in it. It’s very hard to use the extra 40bhp.

I’m sure it would be quicker, but not by as much as the raw stats would suggest.
    There'd be nothing in it if it was me on the bike. However, get a decent rider who can use the electronics and lean on the TC, not to mention a fruity pipe and remap for 220bhp and I'd say there's a decent chunk of time that could be gained.

Master
    that guy (AC), is amazing round there.. By way of comparision, just found this list of fastest lap times;
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...nitive-rundown

current fastest lap is by a VW EV, at 6:05! that must be insane, whizzing round like a super Scalextric slot car :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There'd be nothing in it if it was me on the bike. However, get a decent rider who can use the electronics and lean on the TC, not to mention a fruity pipe and remap for 220bhp and I'd say there's a decent chunk of time that could be gained.
    Yeah, maybe.

But don’t forget that the Ring is extremely dangerous for bikes and you simply can’t ride around absolutely flat-out there like you could at a relatively safe short circuit. You have to leave a safety margin unless you are literally willing to die to set a time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Yeah, maybe.

But don’t forget that the Ring is extremely dangerous for bikes and you simply can’t ride around absolutely flat-out there like you could at a relatively safe short circuit. You have to leave a safety margin unless you are literally willing to die to set a time.
    Tell that to Michael Dunlop or anyone who has participated on the Irish roads, IOM or Macau. I'd love to see BMW hire the place for a few days and see what Hickman could do but the negative PR if he did spank himself would be too much of a risk for it to happen.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Tell that to Michael Dunlop or anyone who has participated on the Irish roads, IOM or Macau. I'd love to see BMW hire the place for a few days and see what Hickman could do but the negative PR if he did spank himself would be too much of a risk for it to happen.
    I agree, those guys could do a pretty quick time on a modern superbike and would definitely beat the fastest yet bike time by a fair margin. I was talking about decent amateur riders when I said that it would be hard to use the extra power.

Journeyman
    I went round in a ring taxi a few years ago, an M5 with upgraded brakes but everything else standard... it was by far the quickest thing or the circuit... supercars looked slow and the fully stripped out M3s were stationary by comparison... experience counts for a lot there!

Fantastic experience and would recommend it to anyone who goes.

The issue with that is whilst the IOM TT riders are nuts some most are not that good are riding compared to professionals. I know a few have tried at BSB and not done very well at all.

If you could get Rossi or Marquez to do a few laps of the ring they would set a very good time.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The issue with that is whilst the IOM TT riders are nuts some most are not that good are riding compared to professionals. I know a few have tried at BSB and not done very well at all.

If you could get Rossi or Marquez to do a few laps of the ring they would set a very good time.
    There isn’t a lot of run off on the Ring if things go wrong. For that reason, I think road racers would go quicker because they have more experience of dealing with that sort of pressure. Rossi et al are fantastic pilots but mentally I think they wouldn’t cope well with the consequences of a mistake.

Master
    How far Porsche 911 handling has come. That guy didn’t oversteer once. Compare it with the RUF Yellowbird lap of the ring where the driver was using more corrective lock than normal steering almost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    There isn’t a lot of run off on the Ring if things go wrong. For that reason, I think road racers would go quicker because they have more experience of dealing with that sort of pressure. Rossi et al are fantastic pilots but mentally I think they wouldn’t cope well with the consequences of a mistake.
    That’s a very good point, also the circuit riders know every last bump and braking point down to the mm which when you’ve only a couple of miles to remember is fine. So the TT riders would win on the ring hands down.

As for Road race riders riders not coming across to short track. Foggy didn’t seem to do to bad out of it.

... or Mike Hailwood
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    How about a hairdressers car showing what it is capable of in the right hands,

https://youtu.be/hhWwl4bqeoY

A 7:37 may not be record breaking, but take into account that a Mercedes AMG GT S did a 7:35 lap, this is impressive for a Mazda :)
    Last edited by g40steve; 15th December 2019 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    How about a hairdressers car showing what it is capable of in the right hands,

https://youtu.be/hhWwl4bqeoY

A 7:37 may not be record breaking, but take into account that a Mercedes AMG GT S did a 7:35 lap, this is impressive for a Mazda :)
    The GT S time of 7:35 was for a full lap which is quite a bit longer than BTG which is the MX-5’s 7:37, though 7:37 is still a very impressive time!