closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIOS 1931 straps - a warning

RIOS 1931 straps - a warning

Over the years, I have seen a number of RIOS 1931 straps, made in Germany, usually good quality for the money. However, I have learned that one should apply caution when buying them.

Searching for Rios straps in Google will return the website www.rios1931shop.com, which appears to be the official shop of Rios - but it isn't. If you look in the upper left corner, you will see the logo Rios 1931, with 'Hungary Shop' written underneath. A couple of months ago, the Hungary reference wasn't there yet and the website looked even more like the official Rios 1931 shop than it does now.

Long story short, I bought a Bund strap on the website and at first was impressed by quality and finish. However, when I finally put it on the watch a few weeks ago, one of the keepers holding the backpad came loose, in fact it had only been tucked into the slot where it was supposed to be sewn in:

So I wrote to the shop and asked if they could send me a new backpad with properly attached keepers in order to remedy the damage. No response. After a week, I wrote again, on that occasion I also visited their website again and noticed the new "Hungary" reference in the logo. Again, no reply from them. So I turned to the real Rios, who replied promptly and told me the shop was an official retailer and I should stand by while they were contacting them in order to get them to respond to me.

However, one day later the real Rios contacted me again stating that they had erred and that www.rios1931shop.com was no official retailer and there was nothing they could do for me. Irritated, I wrote back asking them if that meant somebody was selling Rios-branded straps from a Rios-branded shop, clearly trying to pass themselves off as Rios - and the real Rios let them use their name, don't care how customers are treated in their name and have no opinion whether the straps are authentic or not? I received no response from them on that email and a reminder, which I sent a couple of days later.

So a warning about www.rios1931shop.com and a testament of p***-poor customer service by the real Rios company.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Noted thanks. I never have liked the look of that website.
    UKwatchstrap now sell quite a range of Rios straps and I have always found them to be a reliable supplier.
    I have tried lots and lots of Rios straps and on balance now find DiModell to have the edge on durability.

That’s disappointing to hear
    I have a hatful of Rios straps, usually got from watchbandcenter, and they’ve all been superb for the money.

I bought my Rios pigskin strap from watch obsession’s eBay store. Very happy with the strap.

Craftsman
    I have bought really nice Rios genuine Alligator straps from a Lithuanian shop seller on ebay and other exotic Rios straps from Watchbandcentre Germany. I also recommend UK Watchstraps for Rios and Di-Model

An understandably very disappointing experience for you. I hope you get redress. Thanks for alerting the forum.

Master
    Wow, increable! So just to be clear are these replica straps in your opinion, or was it a genuine strap that just happened to be faulty which resulted in you then discovering it was a fake store?

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Wow, increable! So just to be clear are these replica straps in your opinion, or was it a genuine strap that just happened to be faulty which resulted in you then discovering it was a fake store?
    I am not 100% sure, but my best guess is that the straps are genuine and there was a manufacturing fault at Rios.

What upsets me is that none of the two counterparts seem to be interested.

I just received an email from the CEO of Rios stating that there is nothing they will do about my complaint. Apparently they are fine with dealers using their company logo to impersonate them and mistreating customers in their name.

He also asked me to reconsider this thread and threatened to post negative feedback about my company.

I am impressed. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    He also asked me to reconsider this thread and threatened to post negative feedback about my company.
    How does he know about your company?

It does state at the bottom of the page that they are a Rios dealer.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 11th December 2019 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    How does he know about your company?

It does state at the bottom of the page that they are a Rios dealer.
    He googled my name...?

Oh dear...that isn’t good behaviour and that’s one future customer they will not have.

This is happening quite often these days. I've been close to ordering a few things from some sites - that on the face of it look legitimate - but once you drill down you won't find the a fixed UK or EU address in their About/Contact pages.

Instead it will be an email address and, in some cases a non-geographic phone number.

They're just Pop up Chinese web stores passing off as genuine. Avoid.

Threatening a member of a watch forum when you’ve given poor service and you sell watch straps may not be the smartest move you can make.
    I am sure it will cost them a lot more than it would have if they had treated you fairly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Shocking behaviour from the CEO. I won't be buying anything from Rios, genuine or otherwise.

I have bought a lot of Rios straps in the past and always been very happy with them. It’s pretty shocking that something that could be so easily resolved has escalated into this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    RIOS are not covering themselves in glory here.

Another patronising and insulting email from the CEO, I start to sense they aren't really interested in my business going forward. Just as well.

What an absolute idiot.

Another patronising and insulting email from the CEO, I start to sense they aren't really interested in my business going forward. Just as well.
    I don’t really understand why they have done this, they were willing to refund why go for the nuclear option instead?

Are you going to publish their emails? I'm sure a Deepl translation would suffice.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Are you going to publish their emails? I'm sure a Deepl translation would suffice.
    I'd rather not.

Is the CEO unhinged? I'd try contacting someone else at the company and ask, with genuine concern, if he's OK.

I've had a few RIOS straps from various sources and never had a problem but will definitely think twice before buying another.

Just bizarre behaviour

Craftsman
    On the off chance the ceo sees this thread, let it be known I won't be purchasing one of their straps.

I'm pretty sure that there will be lost a lot of customers, new and potential who didn't comment and will now avoid the brand

I’d not heard of them before this thread. I won’t be buying one.

Master
    The url sounds dodgy to say the least..

Journeyman
    I’ve been looking at their straps on panatime,in fact I almost bought one during their Black Friday sale but after seeing this,I’d blacklist the brand

I bought a really cheap strap in mom and pop shop in Japan and same thing,the strap keeper came off,but that strap only cost me around 5-6 usd,I don’t mind...I did DIY fixing with power glue and toothpick...

Blackmailing someone from writing in a watch forum however,is a totally stupid thing to do,especially from a ceo of a company that supplies watch-related accessories...

I've bought plenty of Rios straps in the past (Watchbandcenter or in the UK) and all have been excellent. But this is yet another example of a company who've covered themselves in dog sh*t rather than glory. The cost for Rios themselves to replace as a goodwill gesture would have been negligible and we'd have a totally different thread. It genuinely baffles me in this day and age why they choose to be so begrudging let alone blackmailing. One wonders how the guy got to be a CEO.
    Last edited by Geralt; 12th December 2019 at 09:51.

I believe you should start by leaving reviews on sites like Trustpilot, across different countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I've bought plenty of Rios straps in the past (Watchbandcenter or in the UK) and all have been excellent. But this is yet another example of a company who've covered themselves in dog sh*t rather than glory. The cost for Rios themselves to replace as a goodwill gesture would have been negligible and we'd have a totally different thread. It genuinely baffles me in this day and age why they choose to be so begrudging let alone blackmailing. One wonders how the guy got to be a CEO.
    If I’ve got the story correct, the online shop has nothing to do with Rios so I can understand them not replacing. What you suggest is like buying something from eBay then expecting the original manufacturer provide a refund. The mistake from Rios is not politely telling the OP that they need to go back to the retailer and subsequently getting personal.

They’ve really missed a good opportunity for the sake of a few euros. If they had gone an extra mile and provided a replacement, that would have been great PR. Instead, they’ve somehow managed to create negative PR out of nothing.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th December 2019 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    If I’ve got the story correct, the online shop has nothing to do with Rios so I can understand them not replacing.
    I don’t know about that:

But if indeed they have nothing to do with Rios, it’s not after Raffe they should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don’t know about that:

But if indeed they have nothing to do with Rios, it’s not after Raffe they should go.
    Agree and I notice the shop misses out the ‘authorised’ bit!

The behaviour of the CEO is crazy, he has all kinds of options to sort the issue out and instead goes for the customer. If he reads this I'm not buying RIOS straps either.

Craftsman
    Complete madness , just replace the strap and see a happy customer come back again . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Complete madness , just replace the strap and see a happy customer come back again . ?
    Indeed. A different price point granted, but I reasently had a strap made and when delivered it was a tad off spec. The supplier immediately remade it no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I like the way CEO has been used in this thread to make him sound like Elon Musk or Tim Cook.

Shoddy treatment indeed. Another company on the 'don't touch with a barge pole' list then.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Some time ago I amassed sufficient watch straps to never need another. Despite this I continue to order the odd one just for the pleasure of trying a new one. That is to say pleasure, enjoyment, a feeling.
    This thread doesn't provide me with enough information to rule out ever buying another Rios strap. Mine have provided good service. But there is the risk that its recollection could taint any potential enjoyment, cause me to hesitate, and buy something else instead.

Was thinking of buying a 19mm suede rios strap from watchobsession for my speedie.Thanks for sharing your customer experience of rios.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wonder what the CEO was threatened with to elicit such a robust response.

Master
    I'm sure that your first point of call, if you have an issue with any purchase, is the place that sold you the item. As I see it, you bought a fake strap from a company passing themselves off as the manufacturer (or am I missing something here?). To then expect the genuine company to address your issues is ludicrous. It doesnt matter if the value of the item is £1 or £10000, the genuine manufacturer cannot be held accountable here, nor expected to do anything to save getting a slating on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I'm sure that your first point of call, if you have an issue with any purchase, is the place that sold you the item. As I see it, you bought a fake strap from a company passing themselves off as the manufacturer (or am I missing something here?). To then expect the genuine company to address your issues is ludicrous. It doesnt matter if the value of the item is £1 or £10000, the genuine manufacturer cannot be held accountable here, nor expected to do anything to save getting a slating on the internet.
    Except that initially the company confirmed they were legit.

Rios1931

Another adding his voice to say Rios1931 is now on my blacklist.

I understand they are not compelled to replace an item purchased through a third party, but to threaten to smear the OP instead of taking action against the unauthorised reseller is truly reprehensible.

And for every person that posts ITT, you can be sure there will be dozens more who read it and make a mental to avoid the brand.

...aaand pretty soon this thread will rank in search engines: great sales move, Rios1931

No doubt that this is annoying to the OP but there is a lot of confusion here, including whether the strap purchased by the OP is in fact a genuine Rios strap. We do know the shop from which the strap was purchased is not an authorized dealer. To expect Rios to replace a strap they may not have produced is unfair IMO. I think if the strap were from an authorized dealer the outcome would have been different.

I have over a half dozen Rios1931 straps and for the price they are of exceptional quality. I also prefer their lengths of 82/114 or 82/118 over the usual 80/120. I've purchased mine from Holbens in the USA and from Waccex in Germany. Both are Rios ADs and also have storefronts on eBay. Unless or until more details are forthcoming I'll continue to consider the purchase of Rios1931 straps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    This is a logical point and one I didn't reach, opting instead for a knee-jerk reaction. I was wrong thinking the ceo was being unfair to not replace the strap for free. If manufacturers had to replace counterfeit goods with genuine ones, it would quickly become a massive laundering scam.

As mentioned, I feel a trick was missed by the ceo to do some cheap marketing, assuming the op would post the story if everything went well.

Still, the ceo didn't do anything wrong.

Plenty wrong with this bit no?

“He also asked me to reconsider this thread and threatened to post negative feedback about my company.”

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Wonder what the CEO was threatened with to elicit such a robust response.
    Interesting suggestion.

Blog Entries
    It is most surprising that the Rios CEO is (seemingly) happy with an apparently unrelated site passing itself off as his company.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It is most surprising that the Rios CEO is (seemingly) happy with an apparently unrelated site passing itself off as his company.
    Sets a bad precedent should they ever decide to enforce any of their trademarks. Given the existence of this thread as evidence that their CEO knows about it, they should probably be taking legal advice about the requirement to protect trademarks or lose them. Having done that, I suspect his attitude will change somewhat.