closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else noticed how little Rolex stock the shops have.

Has anyone else noticed how little Rolex stock the shops have.

We had a day out in London last week, did Oxford Street down to the Burlington Arcade etc etc, we were surprised both Harrods and Selfridges Rolex shops were half empty, display cabinets with just a few datejusts in, the Diamond encrusted tat in the windows, if the premier stores have no stock what are Rolex up to?

Master
    Yes, even I've noticed how few Rolexs there are in shops, and I hardly ever visit that sort of shop! Most stores seem to have a few ladies Rolex and a couple of the unpopular dressier Rolexs but no DJs let alone Subs or Daytonas. I suppose it will make people even more desperate to buy them and accounts for the lunatic prices that are asked for secondhand ones.

Master
    I watched the Watch Reviews YouTube vid someone posted here recently with interest, which attempted to explain the UK steel sports shortage as basically a business decision by WOS group.

That would make sense if the situation was unique to the UK, but I was in NY recently and the same situation exists there, with the display cabinets at Tourneau, the Rolex boutique itself, and a few others I popped into all pretty much as per the UK, with only ladies models and gold/TT gents models on display. I didn't go up to the Diamond District on this visit but I imagine it to be a different story there - albeit at prices above RRP - exactly the same as WF etc, over here.

Yep.

There’s even a specific thread about it. 😉

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-window-thread

Christmas is coming.

But this might shed some light. https://www.watchpro.com/what-do-rol...lans-for-2020/

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yep.

There’s even a specific thread about it. 

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-window-thread
    if there is your link doesn't point to it

Nope, never noticed. Are they hard to get hold of, then?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Nope, never noticed. Are they hard to get hold of, then?
    I only thought the sports watches were difficult to get, if it were other shops you would think they were going bust, both shops had very little stock and the stock they did have were mainly women's watches, neither did watches of Switzerland in Oxford street, it seems to be a very odd strategy not to keep your premier UK stores filled with stock irrelevant of models.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    if there is your link doesn't point to it
    Click on the text, not the picture?

In a related experience I’ve noticed Austin Kaye have not had much Rolex in the window for a while. They used to have a range of vintage and modern Rolex but almost nothing over the last couple of months. In fact their stock is much lower end that I’ve stopped looking, they rarely have much of interest!

Craftsman
    I’d heard they had stopped production to give staff more time with loved ones over Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a day out in London last week, did Oxford Street down to the Burlington Arcade etc etc, we were surprised both Harrods and Selfridges Rolex shops were half empty, display cabinets with just a few datejusts in, the Diamond encrusted tat in the windows, if the premier stores have no stock what are Rolex up to?
    All the Rolex models were in abundance earlier today in Burlington Arcade although seriously over RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    I’d heard they had stopped production to give staff more time with loved ones over Christmas

Hmmmm! I may be easily fooled but I suspect that may not be the entire story. Do the machines used for the bulk of Rolex's production have loved ones??

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    All the Rolex models were in abundance earlier today in Burlington Arcade although seriously over RRP.
    Eyewateringly over priced, as is everything else in there.

I understand that Rolex are looking to cut back on the number of UK AD’s to focus on Goldsmiths alongside their own boutique network.
    If this is the case it would make sense to run stocks down in advance to prevent discounting at AD’s who have lost their license which could explain some of the ‘shortage’.
    Given that I’m not a fan of their current lineup it’s really not something that bothers me.

Wow, hold the front page!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Have I just slipped back to 2016?! If so can I please buy back all those watches I sold at crazy prices!

Craftsman

Price.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    In a related experience I’ve noticed Austin Kaye have not had much Rolex in the window for a while. They used to have a range of vintage and modern Rolex but almost nothing over the last couple of months. In fact their stock is much lower end that I’ve stopped looking, they rarely have much of interest!
    I do not think that Austin Kaye were comfortable with the prices they would have to buy in at from sellers currently and could be the reason they are having difficulties obtaining Rolex stock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Hmmmm! I may be easily fooled but I suspect that may not be the entire story. Do the machines used for the bulk of Rolex's production have loved ones??
    When the elves aren’t around they have to be switched off, Santa’s orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I do not think that Austin Kaye were comfortable with the prices they would have to buy in at from sellers currently and could be the reason they are having difficulties obtaining Rolex stock.
    Makes sense.

This from the Watchpro link made me laugh:

"About the author: Tom Mulraney is a 10-year veteran of the watch industry."

This "veteran" hasn't been around long enough to even get pubes yet!

Another theory is, Rolex are limiting supplies of models such as the DateJust, Perpetual and YachtMaster to make them as desirable as the Sports models - heard it here first folks!!

In other equally surprising news it turns out that smoking tobacco is bad for your health.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    In other equally surprising news it turns out that smoking tobacco is bad for your health.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I’m glad you’re so far ahead of the curve, it was news to me, as I have already said as far as I new they were only holding back sports watches.

Master
    Yawn.....

Craftsman

Bust

I only thought the sports watches were difficult to get, if it were other shops you would think they were going bust, both shops had very little stock and the stock they did have were mainly women's watches, neither did watches of Switzerland in Oxford street, it seems to be a very odd strategy not to keep your premier UK stores filled with stock irrelevant of models.

It does make you wonder how AD’s are keeping afloat at the moment. With such customer focus on acquiring a Rolex currently gripping the market and many other brands getting dismissed by buyers who only want Rolex, the AD’s are obviously not receiving enough Rolex models to fill their displays, so how on earth are they managing to pay wages and rent, plus make some profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Yawn.....

If you’re tired go to bed

Master
    If you’re tired go to bed
    It’s not a matter of sleep...

It’s not a matter of sleep...

If you are not going to contribute something constructive, informative or remotely intelligent don’t bother

Has anyone else noticed how little Rolex stock the shops have.
    I wonder, could you advise on the religion of the head of the Church of Rome please, and give us appropriate guidance about the defecatory habits of the ursus americanus?

Master
    Its not that they are not stocking it. Rolex did not magically drop their supplies. People are genuinely buying more watches. Even some ladies datejust in PM are on a waiting list, is not because Rolex stopped making them! With the 10 year bull market, there is again alot of liquidity in the market and is genuinely difficult to buy some watches, not just sports models, many people are buying them!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I wonder, could you advise on the religion of the head of the Church of Rome please, and give us appropriate guidance about the defecatory habits of the ursus americanus?
    No sorry can’t help, but as your here I’m looking for a new supplier of high end bare PCBs, 32 layers, micro via’s, berried and blind, 2 though track and gap, have you any suggestions?
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th December 2019 at 00:41.

Master
    If you are not going to contribute something constructive, informative or remotely intelligent don’t bother
    I do bottler. This used to be a forum full of knowledge and interesting content. It is threads like that, that make it feel increasingly boring lately....
    The Rolex shortage has been done to death and it discourages other members of actually posting the interesting things we would like to be reading about....
    Bringing it back to interesting contribution and all...

I do bottler. This used to be a forum full of knowledge and interesting content. It is threads like that, that make it feel increasingly boring lately....
    The Rolex shortage has been done to death and it discourages other members of actually posting the interesting things we would like to be reading about....
    Bringing it back to interesting contribution and all...

so you speak for everyone on TZ, that is good to know, so in future if I have a question or query on anything I should skip this forum and refer to your expertise, good to know.

The whole point of my thread as stated was that the shortage of Rolex sports watches has been done to death and as clearly stated I didn't know that all Rolex watches were now in short supply and clearly I am not the only one.

For any one who gives a sh** my wife is in the process of buying a 36mm Day Date and wanted to try some on, the only ones in the shops mentioned were spangly things covered in diamonds, she has now found one she likes with a well known dealer.
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th December 2019 at 09:17.

Master
    This sort of thread is useful up to date background for someone who is looking to buy a Rolex. If the topic bores you, read something else.

Master
    I would have to agree sadly. One of the local ADs here has very little stock now and it looks rather bleak. I don't agree that this makes Rolex more desirable as the feedback from customers is one of anger and frustration. It's not the AD's fault, but they have run out of what to say anymore to their customers which I would imagine, can only affect their business overall. They are a lovely family jewelers with very friendly, unpretentious staff who are just trying to make a living. I fail to see how this is now helping Rolex's cause.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I understand that Rolex are looking to cut back on the number of UK AD’s to focus on Goldsmiths alongside their own boutique network.
    If this is the case it would make sense to run stocks down in advance to prevent discounting at AD’s who have lost their license which could explain some of the ‘shortage’.
    Given that I’m not a fan of their current lineup it’s really not something that bothers me.
    I understand it's Rolex practice to 'buy back' stock from from those who lose AD status to prevent discounting. However, as with almost everything Rolex, that is based on nothing more than internet legend.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Sometimes I think the men and women in the Rolex marketing dept sit around thinking of what 'legends' they can create to get forums agitated/create interest etc. there may even be a prize for the best myth that generates the most posts.

Sorry, but on a watch forum, this is like saying to the general public ‘have you heard of something called Brexit/The Kardashians/Simon Cowell/reality TV/Donald Trump being a touch flaky?! - no offence to the OP but it is kind of stating the obvious, and it’s not exactly a recent occurrence either I’m afraid

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Sorry, but on a watch forum, this is like saying to the general public ‘have you heard of something called Brexit/The Kardashians/Simon Cowell/reality TV/Donald Trump being a touch flaky?! - no offence to the OP but it is kind of stating the obvious, and it’s not exactly a recent occurrence either I’m afraid

What's Brexit?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    What's Brexit?
    It's a thing that's oven-ready and we're getting done acc. to the PM

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    It's a thing that's oven-ready and we're getting done acc. to the PM
    Last Project Manager I heard say that went to the guillotine

Journeyman
    Rolex are moving production to China and it is not going as planned Omega I am looking in your direction.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Comments on this will continue for as long as Rolex boutiques are half empty, or in some cases more like 80% empty. Yes it's not news but it is an extraordinary situation for any retailer. It reminds me of visiting a department store in communist Eastern Europe - plenty of space and no actual products. Last time I passed Selfridges (a month or two back) I overheard a young lady enquiring, and they told her there was nothing whatsoever in stainless steel. Nothing! Precious metal only. And last time I went through an airport they had acres of empty watch holders with just a few unloved models left, like the odd rock in a vast desert of beige suede watch holders. It may be a discussion that's been done to death but it continues to be a strange sight, and like bad weather, the longer it continues the more it becomes a subject of conversation. It makes you wonder how you can run a business with high rents in fancy neighbourhoods, and zero stock. Though I suppose it's already been sold, so I guess they're ok!

Master
    Not sure about empty; the displays are I agree. But there are watches in safes. I asked for a sub date last month, it’s ready for me to collect. Also got a DJ and a GMT this month, stock is out there IMHO.
    Last edited by shoppy; 11th December 2019 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I understand it's Rolex practice to 'buy back' stock from from those who lose AD status to prevent discounting. However, as with almost everything Rolex, that is based on nothing more than internet legend.
    I’ve seen a number of AD’s who have lost the franchise selling off at around 20 - 25% below list in years gone by.
    This may have changed but if it is still the case and if Rolex are centralising supply on Goldsmiths and boutiques to move upmarket a flood of sales would be hugely damaging to the brand.
    It’s a lot of ‘ifs’ I know but they have recently dropped Fraser Hart in the UK.
    Time will tell.

The Rolex display in Goldsmiths’ flagship store in Newcastle is just as sparse.

Master
    Last Saturday Goldsmiths in Leicester had a date sub in, but it was yellow gold

They put in the window what they want tourists/randoms to buy.
    The more desirable stuff never hits the window and goes to the regular and vip customers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Not sure about empty; the displays are I agree. But there are watches in safes. I asked for a sub date last month, it’s ready for me to collect. Also got a DJ and a GMT this month, stock is out there IMHO.
    A sub date and a GMT back to back in 2 months? They must really love you as a customer!