closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ebay sale to China

Master

ebay sale to China

At the moment I have a high value item on 'the bay'; we're talking c. £1500. The two main bidders for this product are both located in China :-( I tried to putting them off with the mention of two hundred quid shipping but it hasn't discouraged them. Am I on my own in being a bit buttock twitchy about this? I mean complaints of not arriving or arriving damaged or not as described and then a paypal charge back. So what's the concerted opinion? A safe sale or...??
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 10th December 2019 at 13:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    At the moment I have a high value item on 'the bay'; we're talking c. £1500. The two main bidders for this product are both located in China :-( I tried to putting them off with the mention of two hundred quid shipping but it hasn't discouraged them. Am I on my own in being a bit buttock twitchy about this? I mean complaints of not arriving or arriving damaged or not as described and then a paypal charge back. So what's the concerted opinion? A safe sale or...??
    Being willing to pay £200 postage would set off alarm bells for me.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nope..nope...nope....

Walk away.

They could both be 100% kosher....but I wouldn't be risking it for £1500.

Ebay will nearly ALWAYS take the side of the buyer.

Master
    You'd be unwise to send it to them; it's asking for trouble to send an item as valuable as that out of the UK.

make the buyer responsible for shipping, effectively collection.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    make the buyer responsible for shipping, effectively collection.
    Makes no difference. If they pay by PayPal the seller will always be held responsible for ensuring the item arrives.

I never offer international shipping on eBay anymore. Too much hassle. Just tick the box 'No International Shipping' when you edit your ad.

I have sent a few things abroad using Ebays Global Shipping Programme. Nothing to China but, Germany, US, Canada, Italy and France. All arrived without issue withe the exception of the US parcel that was lost.

Ebay subsequently covered the loss and reimbursed the buyer. Liability for the the shipment ends when you deliver the package to the UK distribution centre. Just as well really as the items are often opened and repacked to minimize weights and parcel sizes.

Best check qualifying countries for the GSP but assume China will be included.

Any doubts, walk away. Just not worth the stress and I would never ship directly without the piece of mind offered by the GS programme.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    I have sent a few things abroad using Ebays Global Shipping Programme. Nothing to China but, Germany, US, Canada, Italy and France. All arrived without issue withe the exception of the US parcel that was lost.

Ebay subsequently covered the loss and reimbursed the buyer. Liability for the the shipment ends when you deliver the package to the UK distribution centre. Just as well really as the items are often opened and repacked to minimize weights and parcel sizes.

Best check qualifying countries for the GSP but assume China will be included.

Any doubts, walk away. Just not worth the stress and I would never ship directly without the piece of mind offered by the GS programme.
    I've sold to as far as Australia via the GSP and it was a doddle. Commodore Amiga pack which sold for £400. Just make sure to use registered delivery on the UK side to the Central hub in Derby and you're covered. Note - eBay and customs will open the package to inspect it so do expect your box/packaging to arrive not as you sent it.

I had one buyer say their package had not been received in Portugal but it later popped up once I'd contacted eBay to register the complaint.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/priv...ping-programme

The buyer/seller even get shipping updates once it hits their respective country delivery hub.

That said selling an item to someone in China would make me uneasy. Still feels like the wild west out there and I'd hate to go through a returns process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I never offer international shipping on eBay anymore. Too much hassle. Just tick the box 'No International Shipping' when you edit your ad.
    I already did that at the start.

I already did that at the start.
    So how are they bidding?

Master
    I have now revised the listing showing the message in bold text that I can't do international shipping.

tbh both bidders look kosher but it's too much of a risk.

I suppose I could insist on payment using TT but it's starting to be too much hassle :-(

I have now revised the listing showing the message in bold text that I can't do international shipping.

tbh both bidders look kosher but it's too much of a risk.

I suppose I could insist on payment using TT but it's starting to be too much hassle :-(
    But if you've ticked the box when doing your ad they shouldn't be able to bid anyway? At least that's been my experience.

Master
    As has been said already, you are only responsible for the delivery of the item to the GSP depot via ebay, send it to them tracked and signed for and let them take the hit should it go astray from there on.
    I had one item actually come back to the shipping centre as they couldn't find the address, Germany I think, no hassle, they just sent it back again and searched until they did find the buyer.
    As soon as it gets there, ( GSP depot ), it's no longer down to you, regardless whether paypal used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But if you've ticked the box when doing your ad they shouldn't be able to bid anyway? At least that's been my experience.
    Confuses me BUT perhaps if a bidder is in China then that doesn't preclude delivery to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    As has been said already, you are only responsible for the delivery of the item to the GSP depot via ebay, send it to them tracked and signed for and let them take the hit should it go astray from there on.
    I had one item actually come back to the shipping centre as they couldn't find the address, Germany I think, no hassle, they just sent it back again and searched until they did find the buyer.
    As soon as it gets there, ( GSP depot ), it's no longer down to you, regardless whether paypal used.

I get that re physical delivery of the/'a' parcel, but just say the buyer receives the parcel but then submits a paypal claim saying that the item wasn't as described or is incorrect? I don't know, say a vintage Sub is sent out, and buyer whips the fat font insert off and replaces with a service insert then snaps a pic of the 'incorrect' watch in the box/packaging it was sent in, surely ebay/paypal will look into it and potentially a PP charge-back may result? GSP isn't going to help with that (from buyers POV), or is it? I don't know, maybe it would, but I wouldn't fancy taking the risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    I get that re physical delivery of the/'a' parcel, but just say the buyer receives the parcel but then submits a paypal claim saying that the item wasn't as described or is incorrect? I don't know, say a vintage Sub is sent out, and buyer whips the fat font insert off and replaces with a service insert then snaps a pic of the 'incorrect' watch in the box/packaging it was sent in, surely ebay/paypal will look into it and potentially a PP charge-back may result? GSP isn't going to help with that (from buyers POV), or is it? I don't know, maybe it would, but I wouldn't fancy taking the risk.
    I agree... I can well imagine a scenario where even using ebays own shipping could still mean the seller ends up in the doo-doo ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I would walk away from that sale.

Only sell abroad via the GSP, as others have said, as far as delivery goes once its reached Staffordshire or wherever you are covered from item not delivered or item missing claims. Still doesn't protect you from the buyer saying the item isn't as described or is fake though. If in doubt, which I would be and you obviously are, cancel their bids and block their usernames. Better to lose the sale than the potential alternative.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Buyers can always do this, ( I've had a few ), you can only protect yourself so much.
    If at all unsure walk away, ( you know what I mean ).

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Buyers can always do this, ( I've had a few ), you can only protect yourself so much.
    If at all unsure walk away, ( you know what I mean ).
    Absolutely - you can be hammered by eBay/PayPal no matter the destination country if the buyer so wishes.

Grand Master
    Don’t do it, remove the bids. Not worth risk or the worry.

I can’t be bothered with selling on ebay thesedays, the Datejust I listed on here that (surprisingly) didn’t sell went to a trade buyer for £150 less than I wanted to take, no doubt it would’ve sold far better on ebay but I didn’t want the hassle. I think my limit for ebay selling would be £300-£400.

Master
    Thank fully it has just sold (and been paid for) to a UK buyer.

Second time this year I've listed something on ebay and it's sold by bids for more than the buy-it-now price I had on at the start!

Good result!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Thank fully it has just sold (and been paid for) to a UK buyer.

Second time this year I've listed something on ebay and it's sold by bids for more than the buy-it-now price I had on at the start!
    Good result, in future if overseas bidders bids despite you specifying no overseas shipping, just cancel the bids, they’ve broken the Ts and Cs you set, there’s no problem cancelling their bid.

Craftsman
    Of interest, I sold a much in demand Naim hifi amp. to China a few years ago without any problems and the buyer paid a lot more than I was expecting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Of interest, I sold a much in demand Naim hifi amp. to China a few years ago without any problems and the buyer paid a lot more than I was expecting.

Actually this was a NAIM NDX.

Craftsman
    That is not what I sold, you must be confusing me with someone else

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    That is not what I sold, you must be confusing me with someone else

What??? <confused> :-)

Apprentice
    I personally wouldn't ship expensive product that far

ALindsay, I think what solwisesteve was saying is, he sold said item.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    That’s what I thought and it shows there’s a market for this expensive equipment in China and they’re not all scammers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    To clarify - I sold a Nait 1 to a buyer in China. It was one of the original red led models for those familiar with Naim hifi. Apologies for any confusions.