closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA 2824/Sellita SW-200 mechanical issue

ETA 2824/Sellita SW-200 mechanical issue

I believe the model of the movement is SW-220 from Sellita - the day/date complication. The watch is about 4 years old and simply stopped working. It doesn’t wind by the crown or the rotor. It just does not work. What are the possible issues, how easy is it to fix? How much should I expect to pay?
    Just trying to get an opinion and decide whether I should send it to the manufacturer, or if I could fix the issue at a local watchmaker.
    Any ideas? Thanks

Grand Master
    It would help if you named the brand and model, there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ answer to the question.

Unlikely on a watch this age, but it could be a broken mainspring. If that’s the case it could be changed without fully stripping the movement but that’s a judgement call for whoever works on it. There's a good case for fully servicing the watch given the fact that it’ll be partially stripped anyway.

Owners are notorious for not giving the full story when describing problems, has the watch had any recent traumas?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It would help if you named the brand and model, there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ answer to the question.

Unlikely on a watch this age, but it could be a broken mainspring. If that’s the case it could be changed without fully stripping the movement but that’s a judgement call for whoever works on it. There's a good case for fully servicing the watch given the fact that it’ll be partially stripped anyway.

Owners are notorious for not giving the full story when describing problems, has the watch had any recent traumas?
    Thank you for the reply. I’m not the owner of the watch, just asking for a friend ;-) but I’m trying to find out more info, will update the thread accordingly.
    What’s the worst case scenario in this situation? I think it’s an Oris watch but not sure yet.

Master
    It’s pretty impossible to guess over the Internet, but as long as he hasn’t damaged it or flooded it I’d imagine a service will reveal a relatively cheap fix.

I have done one not that long ago where the hacking lever had come adrift and was permanently wedged onto the balance wheel stopping the movement. That would be my complete shot in the dark if the watch doesn’t even run a couple of seconds?

Grand Master
    Probably looking at a new mainspring and barrel (cost £25) plus service/labour cost, which will vary. If the watch gas suffered trauma or water ingress the cost may be higher because more parts may need replacing.

Never come across the hacking lever problem, but I've forgotten to fit it a couple of times!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th December 2019 at 18:11.

It was a Sinn 104! Apparently one in this condition was for sale on eBay and went for around £400.

Got the same problem with my Schaffen and apparently it's not uncommon on this movement.

Not sure what it'll cost to fix or what the problem is (quick Google will probably reveal the answer), but it sounds the same problem as mine.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I just had the same problem with SW200 movement in my Spinnaker ,was less than a year old
    They replaced the hole movement under warranty
    I believe the problem is this

Grand Master
    I remember seeing the Sellita 200.1 upgrade. I wouldn't assume this to be the problem, I`ve seen broken teeth on the ratchet wheel of ETA 2824 movements, that happens when the reversers stick and someone tries to hand-wind the watch against considerable resistance. Usually the watch will run a little and wind a little, but it feels all wrong.

Sellita have modified the winding parts for a reason, but it would still take considerable force to break teeth on the original design and I think the owner would be aware something had happened.

If teeth break the movement has to be stripped to ensure the fragments are removed from the movement.