closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: French Alps . Non skiing

French Alps . Non skiing

After a bit of advice really.
    Last year we got a flight to Geneva for a long weekend but it wasn’t for us. We stayed one night and skipped out of the hotel to go to Chamonix. Really liked it there, even though we didn’t ski.
    I’ve booked the same flight next year and was hoping for a bit of inspiration on where to head. I’d happily go back to Chamonix but there must be other places n ear to Geneva that are worth 3 or 4 nights. Flaine and Megeve are close enough but, as non skiers , we don’t want to be bored.
    It’s quite difficult to gauge as these places are obviously set up for the winter sportsman/ woman.
    Nice hotels or villas , food, heated pools , spas etc. would be lovely. Even a remote cabin you might have been to or heard of.
    Thanks in advance .

We love Annecy but mostly as a change from skiing villages. Worth adding to a list of suggestions though.
    If you like Chamonix, how about nipping through the tunnel to Courmayeur in Italy. Some lovely bars and restaurants in the town centre. Early evening the locals put on a promenade too.

edit: I would avoid Flaine unless you're skiing. We've skied a couple of day trips in Megeve but never stayed there - worth looking at though.

edit again: how about St Gervais?
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 9th December 2019 at 21:00.

Craftsman
    I would say you're up against it heading to an area that is specifically set up for skiing in the winter. Maybe focus your search in and around Annecy. It's easy to get to from Geneva and a very special place.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On the other side there is the Jura. Easy snow shoeing if you want some exercise. Generally empty and some nice hotels / restaurants if you look around.

Ditto Annecy
    Super place
    Megeve is a nice spot for shopping albeit a little “fur coats and poodles”
    From the other end of lake Geneva, take the Golden pass train from Montreaux to Gstaad
    Superb trip- 1-2 hrs each way.
    Last edited by GOAT; 9th December 2019 at 21:48.

100% NOT Flaine!!!!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries

Brilliant !
    Thanks all .

Look at going into Switzerland instead. Beautiful in winter. You could get one of the famous red/white mountain trains up to the pretty mountain towns.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/s...ailway-routes/
    Last edited by mr noble; 10th December 2019 at 23:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aosta was lovely the 2 summers I went and not crowded with tourists, its mostly Italians.

I found lots to see including Roman ruins and the delightful little town.

in the evening everyone family's included is walking up and down the main street being seen and chatting,i did find a very lively fun bar as well.

petrols more expensive,foods cheaper and top notch,lots of ice cream parlors as well.

the white butter produced by the alpine cows is the best ive ever tasted.

Crime is low, when I asked about it the locals where offended.

though having more than 2 working lights on your car is regarded as ostentatious.

what its like in winter I cant say but you are in the triangle of Italy,France and Switzerland so its easy to move on if you dont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    On the other side there is the Jura. Easy snow shoeing if you want some exercise. Generally empty and some nice hotels / restaurants if you look around.
    I’m really tempted by Jura now . There are some fantastic hotels and at a fraction of the price of the similar types in the ski resorts .
    The Annecy recommendations were equally helpful. It looks like a straight choice between the two . Many thanks all .

Master
    Les Gets or Samoens are my favourites.

Master
    What time of year are you thinking, winter or summer?

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    What time of year are you thinking, winter or summer?
    End of Feb .
    Just booked Annecy now at The Imperial Palace but everything is able to be cancelled if needed.
    Ta

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    End of Feb .
    Just booked Annecy now at The Imperial Palace but everything is able to be cancelled if needed.
    Ta
    Fantastic, that'll be great enjoy.
    I typically go to the Alps twice a year once in late winter season & once in the summer.

Craftsman
    Annecy is a beautiful town, great place to spend a few days. Any reason why you're not skiing? I only started skiing when I was 40 and plenty people start much later than that. Once you've got the bug it's an addictive hobby.

Might be too late for this season but if you're looking for luxury hotels in the Alps I'd always look at Austria and Italy before France. Salzburg is a great city for a short break, or you could fly there then take a train to Kitzbuhl or Zell Am Zee for lots of lovely hotels in beautiful alpine towns. Or places like Bad Hofgastein if you like your spas. The Austrians take "wellness" very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Annecy is a beautiful town, great place to spend a few days. Any reason why you're not skiing? I only started skiing when I was 40 and plenty people start much later than that. Once you've got the bug it's an addictive hobby.

Might be too late for this season but if you're looking for luxury hotels in the Alps I'd always look at Austria and Italy before France. Salzburg is a great city for a short break, or you could fly there then take a train to Kitzbuhl or Zell Am Zee for lots of lovely hotels in beautiful alpine towns. Or places like Bad Hofgastein if you like your spas. The Austrians take "wellness" very seriously.
    I’ve skied ( badly) before but my wife hates the idea.To be honest, even the last couple of years with the guys I go away with, I much preferred the whole thing around the skiing.
    Loved the snow and the cold etc but Id be hard pushed to get her out of her comfort zone. We will take the car to La Semnoz and I might even potter around the beginners slopes with the six year olds .
    Good call about the Austrian spas, that will be looked at closely in years to come .

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post

Ditto this
    We Try to spend a month or so in, or close to Kitzbuhel every summer - it’s gorgeous there.
    Bad Ischl, just east of Salzburg has some nice spas at sensible prices about an hour from Salzburg

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Lake Annecy is looking pretty good today. Off to Zermatt next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mont Blanc earlier today. And a dirty assed G.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk