closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 broke!!

Seiko 5 broke!!

After reading the previous post on the Seiko 5 I pulled trigger on a SNXS79J but long story short the first watch was I believe stolen by the delivery driver. The original packaging was emptied, repackaged and relabelled then posted through my letterbox and my signature forged. The seller sent a replacement and I was happy until this morning when I dropped it on the gym tiled floor and it landed flat on the crystal which dislodged the date surround. Now the minute hand is wedged!! No amount of shaking will free it so a visit to a watchmaker me thinks. Ironically I had changed the bracelet for a nato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not great, for sure but in all fairness, I think a drop onto a hard tiled floor would inflict some kind of damage to most watches.
    I'm sure it'll fix in no time in the hands of a competent watch maker (lots on TZ).

Oh no mate. I almost feel guilty for writing that article extolling the virtues of this watch as you’ve had no end of bother since pulling the trigger! Hope you get it sorted.

As long as the movement isn't damaged should be an easy fix. In fact, if you are not worried about refitting the date surround it's a simple case of removing the caseback, removing the crown/stem, removing the movement assembly, throw the surround away and reverse the process. This would cost you about £10 in total for a budget case holder and three prong cashback removal tool and ten minutes on Google seeing how to do it.
    Shouldn't think a watchmaker would charge much either, and would probably reattach the surround also. Be interesting to see how you get on.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Does moving the hands not free it?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Does moving the hands not free it?
    Not sure this helps!

The day/date surround will simply move around and jam the hands again, probably scratching the dial in the process. If it's jammed leave it jammed and send it to a repairer. The hands and dial need to come off, the surround can then be re-glued in place.

Tiled floors are a disaster for watches.

Paul

I was simply responding to the no amount of shaking comment.

Grand Master
    Can`t understand why the OP thinks it's a good idea to get it running, the date surround won't miraculously refit itself and the action of the hands dragging it around will potentially cause more marks/damage.

If he’s shaking it but the minute hand is jammed against the date surround, will it harm the movement? Shaking will get the movement wound, but the hands won’t be able to move - is this harmful? With these watches you can’t even pull the crown out to pause the movement as it’s the 7S26 which doesn’t have hacking.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    If he’s shaking it but the minute hand is jammed against the date surround, will it harm the movement? Shaking will get the movement wound, but the hands won’t be able to move - is this harmful? With these watches you can’t even pull the crown out to pause the movement as it’s the 7S26 which doesn’t have hacking.
    Can’t damage the movement, the mainspring will eventually reach full wind and slip inside the barrel as it’s designed to do.

I can imagine the OPs reaction on dropping the watch was to establish whether it still runs, it’s a sickening feeling when a watch gets dropped. Likelihood is that the movement hasn’t been damaged, the shockproof design should cope, but it’s possible that the hairspring has become snagged and will need freeing up. Also possible that the beat arm and regulator have moved slightly so the watch will need regulating and putting back in beat.

I’d be more concerned about the date window marking the dial if it gets pushed around by the hands.......that’s the bit I can see!

With a watchmaker now to rectify and regulate. The watch landed pretty flat crystal side down and the only external evidence is the edge of the crystal feels slightly rough between the 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    With a watchmaker now to rectify and regulate. The watch landed pretty flat crystal side down and the only external evidence is the edge of the crystal feels slightly rough between the 2 and 3.
    Very sensible. As Paul said, messing around with it would have just inflicted further damage to the dial.

Master
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed?
    Not for £20, the cost of getting it fixed and regulated, plus the SNXS79 is discontinued and becoming harder to find and I have only had it for 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Not for £20, the cost of getting it fixed and regulated, plus the SNXS79 is discontinued and becoming harder to find and I have only had it for 5 days.
    £20 is a very very good price for resurrecting such a handsome wee beastie. Good job!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    £20 is a fair price, these jobs can be a bit fiddly especially if the surround needs gluing to keep it in. That's best done from the back of the dial which obviously means the dial and hands have to come off.

Most cheaper Seikos benefit from a dose of regulation, they're often slightly out of beat too, but once they're right they stay right for a long time.