closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn 203 day/ date window help?

Sinn 203 day/ date window help?

After some advice, as it looks like I may have damaged my Sinn 203.

About a week or so ago I noticed the date was stuck in between date change (it has a day and date). When I pulled out the crown it would not change over and it was not catching, spinning over. I wound the time back slightly and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Anyway, tonight I have pulled the watch back out of the box and now the date and day are changing 11 hours apart! The day seems in sync but the date is changing over at about 11 o’clock 11 hours later.

Any advice or assistance kindly appreciated!
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 8th December 2019 at 21:45.

If it’s a 7750 series you can screw it up if you try manually changing the date if the hour hand isn’t in the bottom half of the dial (I think!) I.e between 3 and 9
    Sure you didn’t do it by mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    If it’s a 7750 series you can screw it up if you try manually changing the date if the hour hand isn’t in the bottom half of the dial (I think!) I.e between 3 and 9
    Sure you didn’t do it by mistake?
    It seems very likely that I may have done that. I assume there is no way to fix other than sending away?

No, if I remember correctly it’s a strip down job
    I’d drop Brendan a pm for confirmation though?
    I’ve a vague recollection that no parts are needed just setting up again- but I could be wrong
    Bit of a bugger!

No, if I remember correctly it’s a strip down job
    I’d drop Brendan a pm for confirmation though?
    I’ve a vague recollection that no parts are needed just setting up again- but I could be wrong
    Bit of a bugger!
    Appreciated!

Is your watch Argon filled?
    If it is , you may find it needs to go to Sinn for a refill which they’ll do on a service
    “Donkey knotted” is the expression!

If it is , you may find it needs to go to Sinn for a refill which they’ll do on a service
    Yep. It’s my Arktis unfortunately. Off to Sinn it is!

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I’m sure Sinn will turn this around pretty quickly though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Took about 6 weeks to turn around a warranty repair for me earlier this year, although I went through an AD which may have slowed things down a bit.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I think TWR can do the Argon ones, that’s the impression they gave me recently, I may have misunderstood. My UX came back from Frankfurt in half the time they estimated though, so even if it has
    to go there you shouldn’t be without it too long.

Thanks guys.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    "Donkey knotted'. I haven't heard that one before but I think I get the picture.
    Why is it filled with an inert gas ? Forgive my ignorance, but it sounds to me like another way of forcing return to the AD for any work required.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    "Donkey knotted'. I haven't heard that one before but I think I get the picture.
    Why is it filled with an inert gas ? Forgive my ignorance, but it sounds to me like another way of forcing return to the AD for any work required.

I’ve plenty of experience with carrying out chemical reactions under an inert atmosphere, where the reagents were oxygen or moisture- sensitive, but filling a watch with argon seems like complete overkill to me. It’s not too difficult to set up a makeshift kit to do this provided small argon cylinders/canisters are available, it could be done with a plastic bag and rubber tubing if you know what you’re doing. I’ve weighed air- sensitive chemicals in this manner so I’m not making this up, it is feasible. We used to buy a type of plastic bag with gloves moulded in, but for fitting a watch caseback a normal bag would suffice.

Having said, it comes under the category of ‘pointless fannying about’ and I’ve no intention of doing this!

Not sure what problem Sinn are trying to solve by Argon- filling their watches, its total overkill in my opinion.

They don’t specify what gas they use, I think people assume argon as the technology is know as Ar, here’s their link....

https://www.sinn.de/en/Ar-Dehumidifying_Technology.htm

Sums it up well^^^
    I guess they’re pitching their products at the tech-minded buyer
    The Ar solution seems sound- protects oils from oxidising and Argon is dry so should help prevent condensation in watches just like the OP’s Arktis
    I like their diamond pallet technology too.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Thanks Junglebert. Bizarre sales pitch ! Reminds me of the Glycine vacuum watch from the late 60s. Trouble was that glasses popped out if the watch ascended beyond 10,000 feet in an unpressurised aeroplane.
    Condensation under the glass does continue to be a worry for expensive waterproof watch owners who believe that their watch is no longer water tight when there is a sharp temperature change which liquidises the moisture in the air inside the case. I know that anhydrous copper sulphate absorbs moisture but I would be concerned that it might react with other components inside the case. Or even crystallise on the oil points.

Grand Master
    Do we store watch oils under an inert atmosphere?............no. Should we?........not in my opinion.

I think Sinn are trying to claim some technical high-ground for its own sake here, it'll appeal to some folks. Having an anhydrous copper sulphate crystal inside the watch is a novel idea, so is sealing the watch under Argon. Dry nitrogen would be just as effective, but that doesn`t have the same kudos.

The problem for owners is the fact that repairers won`t touch them because they have these features, this means the watch ends up going back to Sinn when when it shouldn't really have to.

The problem with this watch could be sorted by stripping down the dial side, the whole movement shouldn't need dismantling. That's fairly straightforward, but the copper sulphate/inert gas thing will put repairers off.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I think Sinn are trying to claim some technical high-ground for its own sake here.
    They probably are, and why not, I think that’s become their niche, the Sinn I’m wearing right now is rated to 5000m depth, why? Who knows.