closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith 50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival

Apprentice

Zenith 50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and delighted to have come across it! Whilst I've always had a love of watches, my appreciation of the intricacies and feats of design and workmanship involved has only recently been awoken. I'm now eager to build a (small) collection to enjoy and pass on to the kids. My current watch is a Tudor Black Bay GMT which I really like. I have an opportunity to purchase a Zenith A384 El Primero Revival - https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en.../category/658/ Is this worth purchasing, what are your thoughts please. I know that Zenith has a rich horological history and was the first manufacturer to bring an automatic chronograph to the public in 1969 but is this 50th Anniversary model worth buying? I have to say I really like the look of it and how it's stayed true to the original version. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm still finding my feet in this new interest of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokieboy View Post
    ... I'm now eager to build a (small) collection to enjoy and pass on to the kids. My current watch is a Tudor Black Bay GMT which I really like. I have an opportunity to purchase a Zenith A384 El Primero Revival. Is this worth purchasing, what are your thoughts please. ...
    Welcome to the forum and to your new hobby. You say you want to buy watches to enjoy and to pass onto your children (i.e. not as temporary money-making investments), so aren't you best placed to know what watches you like and what watches you want to buy for your children?

Hello there; I really like that model and it is a very good size for me and very distinctive. Ticks a lot of boxes and its a great brand like you say.

I was a bit put off by the price, I think they are asking a strong price +£5.5k when I was looking.

The 38mm 1969 EP model; 03.2150.400/69.C713

Seemed to be a good bit cheaper if I remember correctly so I wasnt sure why they had such a strong uplift for the revival model other than the case shape ?

Anyway, I really like that watch you are looking at.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Hello there; I really like that model and it is a very good size for me and very distinctive. Ticks a lot of boxes and its a great brand like you say.

I was a bit put off by the price, I think they are asking a strong price +£5.5k when I was looking.

Seemed to be a good bit cheaper if I remember correctly so I wasnt sure why they had such a strong uplift for the revival model other than the case shape ?

Many thanks for your response. I'm fortunate in that I have it reserved at a watch shop in Heathrow so the purchase price will be a little less than RRP (basically divided by 1.2).

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Welcome to the forum and to your new hobby. You say you want to buy watches to enjoy and to pass onto your children (i.e. not as temporary money-making investments), so aren't you best placed to know what watches you like and what watches you want to buy for your children?

Thanks for your feedback. You make a good point! But there are so many great pieces out there and whilest I'm not looking to flip, I also would prefer not to lose any money on it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    ive never seem that model before but I must say I like it a lot,I wouldn't buy anything I didn't like.

it doesn't have to be an investment to hand down, I would value any watch a relative gave me.

anyway ask for discount they can only say no.

I tried one on in Heathrow, its a lovely watch, but I can’t justify at the moment.

It isn’t a limited edition, but they are only going to make them in 2019.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    ive never seem that model before but I must say I like it a lot,I wouldn't buy anything I didn't like.

it doesn't have to be an investment to hand down, I would value any watch a relative gave me.

anyway ask for discount they can only say no.

Very true!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    I tried one on in Heathrow, its a lovely watch, but I can’t justify at the moment.

It isn’t a limited edition, but they are only going to make them in 2019.

Its great to know you tried one on and liked it. The smaller size of it appeals to me. My Tudor GMT is a proper chunky monkey on my slender wrists!

I have to confess that I do like this
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I have to confess that I do like this

Alas I can't stretch the budget for this particular piece.......

Thanks for your feedback. You make a good point! But there are so many great pieces out there and whilest I'm not looking to flip, I also would prefer not to lose any money on it!
    You will lose money on it. Definitely. Even if you get it for 20% off. You'd probably need to get about 50% off to avoid losing money. It's just a fact of the watch world I'm afraid. Bar some Rolexes, a number of Patek Philippes and a few other watches that just take off with no apparent rhyme/reason attached to those that do.

The secret is to buy what you like at a price you're happy with and see it as an investment in enjoyment. Suppose you buy now at £5.5k and wear it for 10 years then need to sell and you get £3k - will you have had £2.5k of enjoyment out of it? Probably. So it's worth it.

As far as the specific watch is concerned, it's lovely and if you love the design you can't go wrong with an El Primero. It wouldn't be my choice at that money but you are the only person that can decide if that's the one for you.

Good luck with the decision! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

I have one of the 38mm EP's and think it is a fantastic watch and the size works well for me.

However I purchased one pre-owned for somewhere slightly over half the RRP for the 50th anniversary edition and I think one was recently advertised on the forum for a similar figure. I'm not sure I would pay twice as much for the anniversary edition looking at it. I'm not sure Zenith residuals are the best generally. All IMO of course so as it is your money, you make the choice!
    Last edited by mmgg1988; 8th December 2019 at 22:31.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    You will lose money on it. Definitely. Even if you get it for 20% off. You'd probably need to get about 50% off to avoid losing money. It's just a fact of the watch world I'm afraid. Bar some Rolexes, a number of Patek Philippes and a few other watches that just take off with no apparent rhyme/reason attached to those that do.

The secret is to buy what you like at a price you're happy with and see it as an investment in enjoyment. Suppose you buy now at £5.5k and wear it for 10 years then need to sell and you get £3k - will you have had £2.5k of enjoyment out of it? Probably. So it's worth it.

As far as the specific watch is concerned, it's lovely and if you love the design you can't go wrong with an El Primero. It wouldn't be my choice at that money but you are the only person that can decide if that's the one for you.

Good luck with the decision! :)

So I need to go in, try it on, and negotiate the hell out of the deal!......thanks for replying. Definitely looking to hold on to whatever I buy watch-wise from now on so yup, if it looks and feels good then I shall buy.

I tried recently tried on an A384 - really liked it.

An original would hold value much better [arguably] and is the same ball-park pricewise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    dont get sucked into this whats it worth in the future business,enjoy the watch for what it is.

Blog Entries
    If you are worried about price you could buy below MRP from here. https://www.chrono24.co.uk/zenith/50...id12363495.htm

looks a great watch and size

Its great to know you tried one on and liked it. The smaller size of it appeals to me. My Tudor GMT is a proper chunky monkey on my slender wrists!
    I was also drawn by the smaller size. But I also like the shape of the case and the sundial machining. It's a little bit different.

At some point Zenith are going to bring out a reproduction of the original steel ladder bracelet. It may even be available now.

Blog Entries
    Lovely watches, here’s mine (a keeper) ...

I love the angular case & (modest by modern standards) dimensions.

....& probably available (in nice condition) below RRP too.

z

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Lovely watches, here’s mine (a keeper) ...

I love the angular case & (modest by modern standards) dimensions.

....& probably available (in nice condition) below RRP too.

z

Looks amazing, thanks for sharing photos. I have a feeling I will love it!