closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can anyone help with an annoying Safari problem on an ipad please?

Can anyone help with an annoying Safari problem on an ipad please?

There's an intensely irritating feature of safari on an ipad that's just appeared. I don't want it, I don't know what causes it to happen and I don't know how to get rid of it once it has. As the Queen might say, one is not impressed.

I'm noodling about on the net, as you do, when all of a sudden a little window pops up full height of the screen but about 1/4 the width, and floats another webpage over the top on the one I'm looking at. It has a little grey bar at the top but that doesn't do anything sensible as I can see. You can move it about (side to side) but not get rid of it.

I've not a clue what I've just done to cause this and it would be helpful to find out, probably some subtle "gesture" on a link on the page I'm looking at, but it beats me. What is worse is that I don't seem to be able to find anyway of easily getting rid of it.

Any help on this, e.g. how to turn the feature off if this is possible, what gesture I'm doing that causes this, and how to get rid of the little window once it's appeared, would be very useful indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    There's an intensely irritating feature of safari on an ipad that's just appeared. I don't want it, I don't know what causes it to happen and I don't know how to get rid of it once it has. As the Queen might say, one is not impressed.

I'm noodling about on the net, as you do, when all of a sudden a little window pops up full height of the screen but about 1/4 the width, and floats another webpage over the top on the one I'm looking at. It has a little grey bar at the top but that doesn't do anything sensible as I can see. You can move it about (side to side) but not get rid of it.

I've not a clue what I've just done to cause this and it would be helpful to find out, probably some subtle "gesture" on a link on the page I'm looking at, but it beats me. What is worse is that I don't seem to be able to find anyway of easily getting rid of it.

Any help on this, e.g. how to turn the feature off if this is possible, what gesture I'm doing that causes this, and how to get rid of the little window once it's appeared, would be very useful indeed!
    I've never seen a window as you describe on my iPad but then I have AdBlock Plus installed and I would try installing this app and activating it; it's free.
    Last edited by Skier; 8th December 2019 at 18:32.

Screenshot would help to understand what exactly is this floating window

Sounds like you’ve created a slide over window like this:

You can hide it like this:

Master
    you mean like this

Master
    Flick up from the dark grey bar on the bottom- the dark grey bar will disappear and then flick up on the page and it will go

Many thanks! It’s a sub-window, not an advert. I’ll check the yt videos and the solution above.

Just got a new ipad and I find this 'feature' intensely irritating too.

I've got a similar problem on safari, it looks like an ad bar across the bottom with an X at the side. If you click on the X the bar disappears, but as soon as you change page it reappears. You end up just ignoring it, but it is a PITA. Anyone know how to get rid.

Blog Entries
    Settings >
    Home screen>
    Multitasking>
    Allow multiple apps>turn off
    Last edited by Franco; 8th December 2019 at 21:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've got a similar problem on safari, it looks like an ad bar across the bottom with an X at the side. If you click on the X the bar disappears, but as soon as you change page it reappears. You end up just ignoring it, but it is a PITA. Anyone know how to get rid.

That's an annoying one that I also see and I have passed it to AdBlock Plus to investigate. There's a thread on it HERE.

Thanks. I did see that thread at the time, but I don't think it offered a solution, so happy to wait and see if anything comes out of your enquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Settings >
    Home screen>
    Multitasking>
    Is that on iOS?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Is on iPadOS 13.1, from Sept 2019.

Edit: My mistake, just checked and is 13.2.3 rather
    Last edited by Franco; 9th December 2019 at 08:26.

Master
    Settings >
    Home screen>
    Multitasking>
    There isn’t a settings option

Master

Can anyone help with an annoying Safari problem on an ipad please?

Is on iPadOS 13.1, from Sept 2019.
    On my older iPad Air2 (using 13.1.3) it’s under Settings>General>Multitasking & Drop>Allow Multiple Apps

Blog Entries
    Whichever the path, the aim is to turn off "allow multiple apps"

PS: My mistake, it was 13.2.3
    Last edited by Franco; 9th December 2019 at 08:28.

I searched through settings and cannot find 'allow multiple apps'. My i-pad is a few years old now, it shows the latest update as iOS 10.3.4 and that it is up to date.

Craftsman
    If you press and hold the double square at top right a small window appears and you can open another window (why you’d want to I don’t know). When you have finished with the extra window press and hold the double square and merge then you can delete the new tab.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app