closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance problem-what can be done

Car insurance problem-what can be done

About a month ago I was broken into (again) and my car keys stolen,rang insurance company to see if I could claim and was told no they don’t replace keys but would pay £300 towards a lock change .So I left it and paid for the keys,thinking this is now finished.Anyway admiral set this up as a claim,I’m now not with them but now when I get quotes it’s showing up on the national system as I’ve claimed.
    Now I’ve been in touch with them and they have said ,in writing that this isn’t a claim and doesn’t affect no claims bonus,but has to be recorded as an incident.
    Another company has said they should remove it from the database so it doesn’t show up to other companies,but there not willing,my point to them was ,if I’d of known they wouldn’t pay for keys I’d of never phoned up in the first place and they would be none the wiser.
    So the question is can I get this removed,are they messing me about ,I’ve been told to go and make a noise in the complaints department,anybody else had a similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think that now you have told them there is little you can do - the fact that your car has been broken in to may affect the future risk, regardless of whether you have progressed a claim or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    About a month ago I was broken into (again) and my car keys stolen,rang insurance company to see if I could claim and was told no they don’t replace keys but would pay £300 towards a lock change .So I left it and paid for the keys,thinking this is now finished.Anyway admiral set this up as a claim,I’m now not with them but now when I get quotes it’s showing up on the national system as I’ve claimed.
    Now I’ve been in touch with them and they have said ,in writing that this isn’t a claim and doesn’t affect no claims bonus,but has to be recorded as an incident.
    Another company has said they should remove it from the database so it doesn’t show up to other companies,but there not willing,my point to them was ,if I’d of known they wouldn’t pay for keys I’d of never phoned up in the first place and they would be none the wiser.
    So the question is can I get this removed,are they messing me about ,I’ve been told to go and make a noise in the complaints department,anybody else had a similar issue.

I had similar a couple of years back with morethan when the other party realised their excess was more than repairing my car, I pestered the complaints department in the end I emailed them giving 2 weeks to resolve or taking it to ombudsman they responded and sorted it .

SydR

Car insurance problem-what can be done

As far as insurance companies see it you have had an incident which they have been made aware of, though not claimed, which, in their opinion, changes your risk rating so a loading gets applied to any premium.

I doubt very much there is anything you can do to change that.

may answer some of your questions , like every thing now a days your in the database !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23903966

Master
    I had similar with a windscreen replacement, asked them and didn’t get much joy so paid for one myself but it was still registered as a claim. Any excuse to keep premiums high.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

When you say you're not with Admiral anymore does that mean you have another car insurer and if so, did they not raise the point you were recorded on the motor insurers database as having an incident?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

its a bit like protected no claims, its only protected with your current insurer, any new or perspective insurer is going to ask you if you have had an accident or claim in the last five years, as soon as you say yes you're buggered.

This may be recorded as an 'Incident' which it sounds like it was, but not a 'Claim' - I thought I was paying for 'No Claims' not 'No Incident'!! Sounds like a ruse to get more money, or a genuine risk review which identifies that your next incident may be a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    its a bit like protected no claims, its only protected with your current insurer, any new or perspective insurer is going to ask you if you have had an accident or claim in the last five years, as soon as you say yes you're buggered.
    Unfortunately this does not protect the premium, there is nothing to stop the insurer doubling the premium whilst still maintaining 65%+

Protected ncd is a con IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    When you say you're not with Admiral anymore does that mean you have another car insurer and if so, did they not raise the point you were recorded on the motor insurers database as having an incident?

R
    After the stolen keys I sold the car and cancelled the policy,I now have no car or policy,so I’m thinking of getting a car but the insurance companies are wanting me to touch my toes .

Journeyman
    This may still be listed as a claim. As mentioned any recorded incidents are still logged and can be seen as a £0 claim.

As also stated this is then used as part of your risk assessment which can negatively impact your policy cost. As far as I am aware all insurances companies do this and one telling you to get the other to remove it is just fobbing you off on a wasted and frustrated journey in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    This may still be listed as a claim. As mentioned any recorded incidents are still logged and can be seen as a £0 claim.

As also stated this is then used as part of your risk assessment which can negatively impact your policy cost. As far as I am aware all insurances companies do this and one telling you to get the other to remove it is just fobbing you off on a wasted and frustrated journey in my opinion.
    I agree with this ^^ about all the OP can do is request a copy of his ‘file’ which has to be provided under GDPR and see what is recorded against this “matter”.

Master
    Moral of the story for the rest of us, never call your insurance about anything unless it's a massive cost that's worth enquiring about. Years of pain, years of slightly increased premiums and less ability to shop around, for a few hundred quid claim isn't worth it imho, so don't even bother calling to ask. With most T&C's now available online you can do your own research as to whether something is claimable.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Moral of the story for the rest of us, never call your insurance about anything unless it's a massive cost that's worth enquiring about. Years of pain, years of slightly increased premiums and less ability to shop around, for a few hundred quid claim isn't worth it imho, so don't even bother calling to ask. With most T&C's now available online you can do your own research as to whether something is claimable.
    This.

Your first mistake is making the call.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    AFAIK, the insurers don't check the database as part of providing the quote, relying instead on the information provided by the customer.

They will check the database in the event of a claim to ensure the information they were given was correct...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    AFAIK, the insurers don't check the database as part of providing the quote, relying instead on the information provided by the customer.

They will check the database in the event of a claim to ensure the information they were given was correct...
    From what I remember from Banking exams in the 70's, insurance contracts are conducted 'in the utmost good faith'. Basically you have to be completely honest in answering all questions or they can invalidate the policy at any point.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This.

Agreed.... unless the claim is going to be over a grand, my opinion is suck it up and....

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Things have moved on and as part of getting quote these days a lot of insurers will run a credit check and also check the Insurance Claims and Fraud databases.

It's much easier to decline to quote at the start than try and repudiate a claim due to non disclosure, deliberate or accidental.

And yes the founding principle of insurance is Utmost good faith, the insured trusts the insurer to meet the claim in the event of a loss happening, the insurer trusts the insured to be 100% honest and truthful in the information supplied to rate the risk. if either of those doesn't happen then thats when the problem starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Moral of the story for the rest of us, never call your insurance about anything unless it's a massive cost that's worth enquiring about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I strongly suspect that there will be a clause in the insurance policy requiring the insured to notify the insurance company of any material incidents, regardless of whether a claim is being made or not.

As an aside, i suspect it's worth occasionally getting a print out of your data from the MIB (https://www.mib.org.uk/managing-insu...ing-your-data/) so you know what the insurance companies know

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I strongly suspect that there will be a clause in the insurance policy requiring the insured to notify the insurance company of any material incidents, regardless of whether a claim is being made or not.
    There is, it's standard in every insurance policy that any and all incidents involving the vehicle must be reported to your insurers as a prime term of your policy. Fialure to do so constitutes non disclosure of a material fact an could see your policy being voided from inception