closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex ADs being told to release warranty cards

Warranty card related -- what info do you guys have on the card? My last two have had my full name address and post code. Not flipping either of them as they were matching watches from two different ADs for myself and my father in law (and I've since moved) but if flipping I really wouldn't want my road or door number on the card. Would be tempted to sell without card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I have a retained card at Fraser Hart in Brent Cross and it would appear they are also reviewing the situation in light of the WOS decision.
    If they are losing/selling their Rolex franchise, you wouldn’t think they’d put too much effort into the decision!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I have a retained card at Fraser Hart in Brent Cross and it would appear they are also reviewing the situation in light of the WOS decision.
    If they are losing/selling their Rolex franchise, you wouldn’t think they’d put too much effort into the decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Seems very strange. She did suggest the store is figuring out how they will respond to this as they have many cards.

I purchased my Hulk only a few weeks ago and they kept that card. But gave me the option to pick it up anytime if i want to when i called earlier today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s funny; one minute ADs are claiming they get handfuls or sports models per month at best (2 Daytona per year etc) but are now struggling to deal with how to return the ‘many’ cards they have!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Going in this morning, will report back
    What did they say?

[QUOTE=David_D;5272696]If they are losing/selling their Rolex franchise, you wouldn’t think they’d put too much effort into the decision!

- - - Updated - - -

They will still be trading just under a different name so good customer service
    Last edited by awright101; 13th December 2019 at 19:38.

Master
    I picked up a sub nd two weeks ago form DMR and had to buy some jewellery as part of the process which I didn’t mind as it keeps the wife happy with Xmas around the corner, they kept the card back which I expected and am not concerned by but out of interest I called today with regards to the matter and was told I could go and collect the card whenever I wanted

Blog Entries
    No details just what I was told by my AD who were informed directly by Rolex to start returning the cards and ceasing the practice on new sales with immediate effect.
    Thanks. That's a very interesting bit of intelligence.

I'd still love to know who/where the court case was, if anyone knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just got the call from Fraser Hart to pick up my card for my 5 month old Root Beer. Flippedy flippedy flip
    Hehe

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I picked up a sub nd two weeks ago form DMR and had to buy some jewellery as part of the process which I didn’t mind as it keeps the wife happy with Xmas around the corner, they kept the card back which I expected and am not concerned by but out of interest I called today with regards to the matter and was told I could go and collect the card whenever I wanted
    Well to me that is outrageous,I would have walked away on principle and called Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Thanks. That's a very interesting bit of intelligence.

I'd still love to know who/where the court case was, if anyone knows.
    If I had to wager I would say it never got that far as the legal team for Rolex would know they were on shaky ground.

A quiet resolution in favour of the plaintiff and a gagging order would seem to be the most likely scenario.

Blog Entries
    If I had to wager I would say it never got that far as the legal team for Rolex would know they were on shaky ground.

A quiet resolution in favour of the plaintiff and a gagging order would seem to be the most likely scenario.
    Could be.

Master
    Possibly a coincidence but lots of brand new professional models on eBay with their cards this week.

People were listing without cards anyway so it was all a bit of a pointless gesture.
    Last edited by David_D; 13th December 2019 at 20:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Well to me that is outrageous,I would have walked away on principle and called Rolex.
    It still worked out cheaper buying jewellery than any no date sub that I was offered on here (spent circa £700) and I get a new watch in my name and the wife gets a present that she wanted anyway, what’s not to like

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    It’s funny; one minute ADs are claiming they get handfuls or sports models per month at best (2 Daytona per year etc) but are now struggling to deal with how to return the ‘many’ cards they have!
    So true. This is the flagship WOS on regent street. Apparently this store gets more of the ss professional models than any other store in the country. Which may be partly an explanation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    So true. This is the flagship WOS on regent street. Apparently this store gets more of the ss professional models than any other store in the country. Which may be partly an explanation.

Visited this store a few times and have never seen anything nice... Not even DJ41s and OP39s. Did mention I’ve got good purchase history with their group but sales advisors never seem to really care.

Maybe too many big spenders in London....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Visited this store a few times and have never seen anything nice... Not even DJ41s and OP39s. Did mention I’ve got good purchase history with their group but sales advisors never seem to really care.

Maybe too many big spenders in London....
    From my experience with them none of the professional models are put on display. But, many kept in the safe and gone quickly.

Master
    It still worked out cheaper buying jewellery than any no date sub that I was offered on here (spent circa £700) and I get a new watch in my name and the wife gets a present that she wanted anyway, what’s not to like
    The principle is not to like, the sub was there for your taking (and by taking I mean a hugely expensive piece of steel to be exchanged for your hard earned cash) but they dangle it and hold you to ransom for it.

It’s very, very wrong. They’re essentially wanting more profit out of the watch and looking at the jewellery sale (no doubt the most inflated prices in the store) as the way to get the extra money for the watch.

I’d never jump through these hoops & yes it’s cut your nose off stuff, but if everyone did the same...

Craftsman
    Did they mention how much they needed you to spend? And was there a promise of definitely getting you one?

I’ve had the same in a specific WoS group branch, far more unacceptable in a large group

This pales in to insignificance when compared to the nonsense spouted by Goldsmiths Trafford Centre last Spring when I was told that my Spend would need to exceed £80k to be "considered" for a Hulk and 100k for a CHNR!!

The situation they find themselves in where they have, unwittingly, achieved control over the allocation of numerous desirable pieces (at RRP) has really gone to their heads. I only use Goldsmiths now for Tudor, different branch and the attitude is like chalk and cheese, fantastic service and nothing is too much trouble.

DMR got me the CHNR within a couple of months and I have switched all my future Rolex business to them now, even though it meant starting over because even though they struggle even more to source the in demand pieces, imho they do not believe they are more important than their customers.

People have reported similar to Rolex before and they’re not interested.

Rolex only supply the watches and if the AD wants a spend to qualify for a harder to get piece, they’re entitled to do that. They can choose who to sell to in order of spend if they wish.

At least they were upfront and the deal suited the customer. No one has a gun to the customers head and they’re quite entitled to say no thanks and try elsewhere.

If I was on a list and was told upfront that I could cut x months/years off the wait and get one immediately by spending x amount in jewellery, I’d seriously consider it and must factor it into the deal. If it suited me I’d do it.

Apprentice
    This pales in to insignificance when compared to the nonsense spouted by Goldsmiths Trafford Centre last Spring when I was told that my Spend would need to exceed £80k to be "considered" for a Hulk and 100k for a CHNR!!

The situation they find themselves in where they have, unwittingly, achieved control over the allocation of numerous desirable pieces (at RRP) has really gone to their heads. I only use Goldsmiths now for Tudor, different branch and the attitude is like chalk and cheese, fantastic service and nothing is too much trouble.

DMR got me the CHNR within a couple of months and I have switched all my future Rolex business to them now, even though it meant starting over because even though they struggle even more to source the in demand pieces, imho they do not believe they are more important than their customers.
    Hi, you mentioned before that you were going to ask for your warranty cards. Did you and if so, did they give them?

Apprentice
    Hi, which branch of DMR was this please?

Craftsman

Surprised the ‘spend’ required for a CHNR is more than a Hulk. Are they just making up numbers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolexxx View Post
    Hi, you mentioned before that you were going to ask for your warranty cards. Did you and if so, did they give them?
    I will be collecting my cards some time in January when back from holiday, no rush and they are busy right now with Christmas orders.

if you read the thread properly you won't need to keep asking the same questions.

Are you going to introduce yourself?
    Last edited by petay993; 14th December 2019 at 13:55.

Surprised the ‘spend’ required for a CHNR is more than a Hulk. Are they just making up numbers?!
    It would appear so.

Delusions of grandeur!

CHNR is in demand for a pm piece but still relatively easily sourced so this just confirmed my increasing suspicion that I was dealing with idiots.

Master
    AD (not part of WoS group) contacted me for something else and having read this thread, I asked about the warranty card for my Hulk. They said I can collect it whenever I want. Watch was purchased only last month. I might pick up the card next week if I’m in the area. Not looking to flip the watch at all but it would still be good to complete the set 11 months earlier than expected.

Did they mention how much they needed you to spend? And was there a promise of definitely getting you one?

I’ve had the same in a specific WoS group branch, far more unacceptable in a large group
    After getting my Sub I enquired about a new GMT on jubilee and they told me 7 years or at least £100k spend for preferential treatment!

Apprentice
    I will be collecting my cards some time in January when back from holiday, no rush and they are busy right now with Christmas orders.

if you read the thread properly you won't need to keep asking the same questions.

I did and you said you were going in the morning hence I asked. I don’t go over every message thoroughly if you’ve changed your mind or not done it

The amusing part of this warranty card debacle, is it never came from Rolex and was more a solution by the retailers to stop getting penalised when watches do get flipped (ie reduction in hot stock, or losing AD status)

I’ve purchased a few “desireable” Rolex’s (and helped others secure thers) ss daytona/gmt/sd etc over the past couple of years and I’ve never had a warranty card held.

But hey lets all blame the evil megacorp for not making enough watches, that we’d probably not buy if value retention/profit wasn’t the primary deciding factor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    The amusing part of this warranty card debacle, is it never came from Rolex and was more a solution by the retailers to stop getting penalised when watches do get flipped (ie reduction in hot stock, or losing AD status)

I’ve purchased a few “desireable” Rolex’s (and helped others secure thers) ss daytona/gmt/sd etc over the past couple of years and I’ve never had a warranty card held.

But hey lets all blame the evil megacorp for not making enough watches, that we’d probably not buy if value retention/profit wasn’t the primary deciding factor.

How many AD have lost their status because of customers selling their own watches ?

Another internet rumour I would have thought ....

Blog Entries
    (a) I must admit that I've forgotten the details but isn't there a letter from Rolex that essentially, albeit implicitly, suggests to ADs that they do this? (Sorry, I may be conflating it with a different letter from Rolex. Can anyone remember?).

(b) To the extent that this is or might be true, it does not represent any kind of excuse. When a business takes out its problems with its supplier on its customers, that is dodgy, poor, and insulting customer service no matter the reason.

Who was doing that? Regardless of the letter I seem to remember above, it was ADs who were treating customers poorly and providing disreputable customer service. It was therefore ADs that were getting the blame.

It's nice that you never had a warranty card withheld but clearly many, many other people were treated badly.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th December 2019 at 01:26.

(a) I must admit that I've forgotten the details but isn't there a letter from Rolex that essentially, albeit implicitly, suggests to ADs that they do this? (Sorry, I may be conflating it with a different letter from Rolex. Can anyone remember?).
    I have that letter in my head too, and I think this was it (post #40):
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?428571

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I have that letter in my head too, and I think this was it (post #40):
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?428571
    Ah thank you, that's the one.

Whilst I misremembered about it being a letter to ADs, for the record it nevertheless explicitly states: "we do recommend that retailers retain guarantee cards for 12 months [...]".
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th December 2019 at 08:07. Reason: Fixed typo

Blog Entries
    Having watched the incredible heights of self-serving nit-picking arrogance that Rolex AD’s have reached, I remain content with my decision made a couple of years ago of ‘FU Rolex’!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Having watched the incredible heights of self-serving nit-picking arrogance that Rolex AD’s have reached, I remain content with my decision made a couple of years ago of ‘FU Rolex’!

I dare say that Rolex dealers have seen a drop in their revenue/profits with being unable to sell as many as they used to, so - you can’t blame them for selling the SS versions to favoured customers.

Arrogance? Have a look on these pages at the number of people who ‘expect’ to be able to buy whatever they want - and question Rolex’ “right” to limit production......

How available should they be? How about - they are available off the shelf in Costco or Tesco - loads of them?

Watch hasn’t changed - but I bet people’s desire for them would.

I think “I want them to be super-desirable, but I want to be able to get one for myself (not everyone)” sums up the general attitude.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I dare say that Rolex dealers have seen a drop in their revenue/profits with being unable to sell as many as they used to, so - you can’t blame them for selling the SS versions to favoured customers.

Arrogance? Have a look on these pages at the number of people who ‘expect’ to be able to buy whatever they want - and question Rolex’ “right” to limit production......

How available should they be? How about - they are available off the shelf in Costco or Tesco - loads of them?

I think “I want them to be super-desirable, but I want to be able to get one for myself (not everyone)” sums up the general attitude.
    Yeah but if people are able to get one easily, then maybe they won't be super-desirable like 4-5 years ago when Hulks were on display. People might even say 'Aww it's an awful green watch, I wouldn't wear something like that.'

Back to topic, I've been speaking to 2 ADs (both of which have kept my warranty cards) and none of them has brought up returning them/asking me to collect. Really starting to think that unless people ask, they're just gonna play dumb and ignore the new policy...

Craftsman
    I must admit, I haven't been told that I can collect any of my cards. I'm not overly fussed if I'm honest and I haven't been in touch to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I've gone one stage further, FU Rolex AD. On principle I won't buy ANYTHING from a Rolex AD, (jewellery, other brand watches etc), my custom and my money will go elsewhere.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolexxx View Post
    Hi, which branch of DMR was this please?
    I phoned one,branch I was told to come in and discuss my portfolio I mentioned buying other stuff to secure a Rolex and he said yes of course,or words to that effect.
    He then said you have to form a relationship with us,I said you want me to take you for a candlelit dinner?
    There was more nonsense,but I was losing the will to live.
    You must be barking mad to go through this just to buy a watch,not for me.

it was ADs who were treating customers poorly and providing disreputable customer service. It was therefore ADs that were getting the blame.

It's nice that you never had a warranty card withheld but clearly many, many other people were treated badly.
    Define treated badly?
    Because the staff weren't subservient and pandering to the will of very fickle customers who know fine well what the score is with desireable watches?

I've a laundry list of stuff I would like to have in the collection, and have zero chance of getting in todays market and been told as much (not just Rolex, or PP). Do I feel i've been treated badly, No, it's life there's always another watch (and chances are the hype will die down, and my name will come up)

I even had a very frank conversation last month over the supply and conditions of sale of a Patek I'm picking up on Wednesday (and have waited on for a fair while).. do I feel mistreated or mistrusted?
    Quite frankly no, regardless of how well I know the him outside of the AD, I agree with the him wanting to have this conversation (which is even more difficult when you're not talking to a stranger) given today's market and the potential for a nice "Xmas Bonus"

I have watched multiple occasions where people have kicked off in ADs and storm out, or started getting quite aggressive to try and force as sale when they've been told very politely unfortunately we don't have xxxx in stock.
    No doubt if any of those individuals were to post on a public forum it would be some tale of woe of how they were "treated badly"
    Every story has two sides.

Yes, there are staff in any sector of retail that are pricks, but at the same time most of them are just trying to do their job. It might surprise some folk, alot of these staff have a keen interest in watches, if they took the time to treat them as fellow humans.
    I used to run a store (not watches :P) 20 years ago, I've dealt with hyped-up trends, the mark-ups, the quick flips, customer disappointment and been on the receiving end of the self-entitlement that comes with these crazes, so I feel for the staff that just want to do their job, sell some watches and go home feeling some modicum of self worth.

Agree totally with this below:

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I miss the good old days when I was considered a yuppie prick for wearing a Rolex......at least folk still think i'm a douche when i've got an AP on :D

Captainslow

Master
    Yet you spend a lot of time talking about it!

Collected my card today Goldsmiths leeds called Saturday said Monday come get it. WOS told most of their retailers give the cards to the customer, mine was march 2019
    So it's true not holding cards no more just want to get rid of them now no ID what date you purchased what's your name

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I phoned one,branch I was told to come in and discuss my portfolio I mentioned buying other stuff to secure a Rolex and he said yes of course,or words to that effect.
    He then said you have to form a relationship with us,I said you want me to take you for a candlelit dinner?
    There was more nonsense,but I was losing the will to live.
    It’s not so mad for the people who want the other stuff anyway. I think they want people to have diverse portfolios, not just sports rolex’s

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair the whole episode is a bit of a farce ... withholding them now being required to return them ... shows there is something contrived in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    To be fair the whole episode is a bit of a farce ... withholding them now being required to return them ... shows there is something contrived in the marketplace.
    Plus 10% increase on sports confirmed for January definitely something going on lol

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Plus 10% increase on sports confirmed for January definitely something going on lol
    Are you saying Rolex have confirmed a 10% price increase for next month (for Sports models)? It might sway my thinking on timing for a certain piece.

Update:
    Ignore me, just seen the thread on RF. I'm surprised we haven't had a Rolex Price Increase Rumour thread on here tbh ...
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 16th December 2019 at 22:10.

Blog Entries
    Define treated badly?
    In this context, it is the subject we are discussing: Keeping the customer's property, specifically warranty cards, a part of the package that substantively adds value to it.

I.e. To withhold a part of the package is is bad, poor, and disrespectful treatment. It's a dishonest practice in my view.

Because the staff weren't subservient and pandering to the will of very fickle customers who know fine well what the score is with desireable watches?
    No, that is wholly your invention.

I have said nothing whatsoever to that effect.

I've a laundry list of stuff I would like to have in the collection, and have zero chance of getting in todays market and been told as much (not just Rolex, or PP). Do I feel i've been treated badly, No
    Quite so. Not being able to buy something you want is not being treated badly.

But buying something and then having part of it withheld for no better reason than the vendor fears what you might do with your own property most certainly is being treated badly. It is deeply insulting. It is, no matter how you dice or slice it, poor and disreputable customer service.

Remember, there is simply no legitimate excuse for a vendor to take out their problems with their supplier on their customers, and yet (at Rolex's urging, we now know) that is exactly what many Rolex ADs have done.

it's life there's always another watch (and chances are the hype will die down, and my name will come up)
    Quite so, but this is orthogonal to the issue of customers' property being improperly withheld.

I even had a very frank conversation last month over the supply and conditions of sale of a Patek I'm picking up on Wednesday (and have waited on for a fair while).. do I feel mistreated or mistrusted?
    (a) It depends on the terms and conditions.
    (b) And it depends on your preferences.

Will the Patek AD withhold your warranty card?

I have watched multiple occasions where people have kicked off in ADs and storm out, or started getting quite aggressive to try and force as sale when they've been told very politely unfortunately we don't have xxxx in stock.
    <shrug> That's nothing whatsoever to do with the issue under discussion, that of withholding warranty cards.

Not having stock is not treating the customer badly. I have said nothing to that effect and nor has anyone else (that I have noticed). Bringing this issue into it is solely, wholly and completely your introduction.

To repeat, the issue under discussion here is the disreputable and insulting practice of withholding warranty cards. Thankfully this is now over for Rolex.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th December 2019 at 00:58.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think it shows:

(a) It was foolish and pointless in the first place. It was never going to (and never did) prevent flipping into the grey market. All it did was bring ADs who did it into disrepute in many people's opinions and inconvenience customers.

(b) And that it was most likely never lawful, although I'd love to know the exact legal grounds for Rolex's change of policy.

Just popped into Lakeside Goldsmiths where I bought my SUB C Date in Aug 2019 and the asked for my warranty card and the sale lady straight away went to the back and got it for me.

So if you are waiting for your warranty card, I would urge everyone to go and get it as ADs aren't going to make efforts to ring around and also leaving it in their hand increases the chance of it going missing.

Best

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk