closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex ADs being told to release warranty cards

Craftsman
    My AD kept back my bezel protector for my last purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You don't think people spending a fortune so they can wear the knackered property of people who led more interesting lives is just another expression of the weirdness of the modern world?
    Yes but it’s not as weird as people buying these current model watches from grey dealers for thousands more than list because of the internet.

The vintage market is what it is but you can argue either way if they’re worth the money. One thing’s for sure it’s worth it to some because there’s less due to them actually being worn. What annoys me about the new market is the countless threads on TRF about justifying over paying and looking at them as investments and keeping them mint in a box fretting about scratches.

These new watches will never reach the heights of vintage because that’s not how we used to wear/keep them. Fair enough if you’re filthy rich but I’d imagine some people are tucking themselves up on credit cards buying £12k/£16k of £7500 watch and no wonder people defend the price. They can’t really afford to wear them as intended and put them away in the box along with thousands and thousands of other people. I’d be offloading now if I’d done that.

People look at the vintage market for an excuse to spend on them but the old watches were cheap and have (rightly or wrongly) achieved their value over decades of slow appreciation. The new ones can be double rrp the same day as being bought new.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, there’s hundreds/thousands of mint in box ‘hard to get’ Rolexes on c24

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Yes but it’s not as weird as people buying these current model watches from grey dealers for thousands more than list because of the internet.

The vintage market is what it is but you can argue either way if they’re worth the money. One thing’s for sure it’s worth it to some because there’s less due to them actually being worn. What annoys me about the new market is the countless threads on TRF about justifying over paying and looking at them as investments and keeping them mint in a box fretting about scratches.

These new watches will never reach the heights of vintage because that’s not how we used to wear/keep them. Fair enough if you’re filthy rich but I’d imagine some people are tucking themselves up on credit cards buying £12k/£16k of £7500 watch and no wonder people defend the price. They can’t really afford to wear them as intended and put them away in the box along with thousands and thousands of other people. I’d be offloading now if I’d done that.

People look at the vintage market for an excuse to spend on them but the old watches were cheap and have (rightly or wrongly) achieved their value over decades of slow appreciation. The new ones can be double rrp the same day as being bought new.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, there’s hundreds/thousands of mint in box ‘hard to get’ Rolexes on c24
    I agree, people living in a bubble.

Take the 1680 on SC at the moment, in my opinion it’s a far nicer watch than any of the modern SS models where most are selling for the same if not more than the 1680’s advertised price.

If I were in the market I know where my money would be going.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    My AD kept back my bezel protector for my last purchase.

Genuine question here , are you really bothered about it ?

Some of mine have come with and some haven’t , I really couldn’t give a monkeys either way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Genuine question here , are you really bothered about it ?

Some of mine have come with and some haven’t , I really couldn’t give a monkeys either way.
    Nope, this was a new thing in addition to the warranty card.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well said James, I am now thinking it’s the constant drama rather than the watch itself that keeps people going on and on.

There’s far nice watches around with far nicer service.

Blog Entries
    Well at least one chap cared so much he took a dealer to court and won (according to the Rolex forum thread)
    Good for him!

Good on him I say. I (and many others) said it was ridiculous from the start and it would offend me as a buyer of a luxury item with my money! I recall reading many posts from people saying it could be fought and others saying they’d stand no chance... well, if it’s true it comes from a court case then that’s excellent work.
    Indeed.

Just to confirm to TZ members. I just had a call from my AD. I can collect my card for a watch I bought 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like the rules have changed for sure now..

JW

Sent from my Pixel 4 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Which AD JW, chain or indie?

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Just to confirm to TZ members. I just had a call from my AD. I can collect my card for a watch I bought 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like the rules have changed for sure now..

JW

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Blog Entries
    Collected my cards yesterday

Went to my independent today and they knew nothing about this

So what will this change? Nice to get the card back, but beyond that?

Craftsman
    So some WoS group stores have been calling their customers but some are denying any knowledge of this at all. Think if WoS wants to communicate this across the group it needs to be aligned and have an ‘effective date’.

Or maybe that some ADs still refuse to or are intentionally delaying the releases...

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Which AD JW, chain or indie?
    Small chain. Said it was a new Rolex directive

Small chain. Said it was a new Rolex directive

So not confirmed from WOS then? I have a keen interest as WOS group are holding one of my cards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So what will this change? Nice to get the card back, but beyond that?
    Absolutely diddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    So not confirmed from WOS then? I have a keen interest as WOS group are holding one of my cards.
    And you want to sell the watch right now this second?

No, but it does suggest that the arse is about to fall out of the Grey market.

JW

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    And you want to sell the watch right now this second?
    What made you draw that conclusion? In reality it’s my property and the sooner it’s with me the better as far as I’m concerned.

Master

JW
    I am running around my house shrieking in terror because this is so likely, sticking Patek moonphase adjustment tools in my eyes and wishing I'd been more conservative like Watchfinder....

Nah...

The watch market changes slowly enough for sensible dealers to sell and restock at any new price paradigm, should one develop.

There may be a softening of prices, but demand / supply are not going to be fixed quickly.

Craftsman
    Think i may call WOS as they have 3 of my cards. not so i can sell. Just that id rather have everything together.

What made you draw that conclusion? In reality it’s my property and the sooner it’s with me the better as far as I’m concerned.
    Only time I ever want/need mine is when buying or selling. However if FH had one of my cards I would want it back today.

Master
    my phone has been silent. I was expecting a call from Laings.

if they had my cards ( no one does I have them all) I would be proactive and not sat waiting for them to call me, I would take all the evidence I could muster in with me ,as if they denied all knowledge, I would be sure they knew about it when I left :-), it was wrong from the start IMO you understand

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    if they had my cards ( no one does I have them all) I would be proactive and not sat waiting for them to call me, I would take all the evidence I could muster in with me ,as if they denied all knowledge, I would be sure they knew about it when I left :-), it was wrong from the start IMO you understand
    Or just sit back and collect once the year is up. Life is for living.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    my phone has been silent. I was expecting a call from Laings.
    Did they also make you sign the contract too - and will they give you that back?

I still don’t have mine 18 months later. I’ll have to call in to collect it!

Blog Entries
    Why? It doesn't seem likely to make any substantive difference.

The whole (pointless) point of withholding warranty cards was to reduce flipping, because ADs feared getting into trouble with Rolex if watches they had sold were flipped. However, it's pretty obvious that withholding warranty cards didn't prevent flipping and did not prevent the grey market from prospering.

If withholding warranty cards did not meaningfully impact the grey market then it follows that, conversely, releasing warranty cards is not going to meaningfully impact the grey market.

The Rolex grey market is prospering right now because demand for Rolex is remarkably high. But remember that the grey market was able to prosper even when demand was not so high. If and when demands drops off again, then it seems likely that the grey market will continue to prosper as it did before. Warranty cards (or bezel protectors, or outer boxes, or hang tag) are largely irrelevant to the prosperity of the grey market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Went to my independent today and they knew nothing about this
    Is seems to me that this is perhaps not surprising.

If the reports are true that this change in policy is due not to any specific rule change but due to a court win against an AD then the big chains will have legal departments who can keep up with legal judgments but many independents won't have anyone to similarly advise them.

Blog Entries
    According to the thread at Rolexforums (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713035) this change in warranty card policy is due to a court case that an AD lost. Does anyone have any reference to the case, who were the plaintiff and defendant, the court, etc?

Master
    Blog Entries
    its a bit inconsiderate handing the cards back what on earth will we have to talk about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its a bit inconsiderate handing the cards back what on earth will we have to talk about?
    Bezel protectors, outer boxes, hang tags, and Patek of course. ;-)

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    We could have a Blueberry GMT insert debate?

Apprentice

How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Will be putting DMR to the test tomorrow morning then.

Had a message saying pop in and collect a complementary bottle of Fizz, hope things don't go flat when I ask for my cards to go with it

Going in this morning, will report back

Craftsman
    Cards handed back to me last night at in store M&W event. They said that they have been asked not retain cards after Monday.

Craftsman
    I had a chat with my AD today (flagship WOS in London) and they confirmed I can have my warranty cards and no need to wait for the year anniversary. The kind lady said that management have changed their policy last week and will no longer hold warranty cards.

She also suggested the store is determining how best to get all the warranty cards back to customers, my prior experience was the store contacted me on the anniversary and offered the choice to collect or post to home address.

I will likely just wait until the store has figured out how to get all the cards to their clients, as I'm not in a rush to get these back. But the stance on retention of warranty cards by WOS certainly seems to have changed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    I had a chat with my AD today (flagship WOS in London) and they confirmed I can have my warranty cards and no need to wait for the year anniversary. The kind lady said that management have changed their policy last week and will no longer hold warranty cards.

She also suggested the store is determining how best to get all the warranty cards back to customers, my prior experience was the store contacted me on the anniversary and offered the choice to collect or post to home address.

I will likely just wait until the store has figured out how to get all the cards to their clients, as I'm not in a rush to get these back. But the stance on retention of warranty cards by WOS certainly seems to have changed.

Not in a rush to get mine back but I've been to my local AD 2 times since last week (and spoke in person to the manager) but he didn't bring up anything about warranty cards... Hmmm

Master
    perhaps while you are all in collecting your cards, you can get your orders in for whatever you want seeing as you have all adhered to the T&C's. Given the recent post,be interesting to see how many have been 'misplaced' - hopefully none.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Not in a rush to get mine back but I've been to my local AD 2 times since last week (and spoke in person to the manager) but he didn't bring up anything about warranty cards... Hmmm
    Seems very strange. She did suggest the store is figuring out how they will respond to this as they have many cards.

I purchased my Hulk only a few weeks ago and they kept that card. But gave me the option to pick it up anytime if i want to when i called earlier today.

Craftsman
    Seems very strange. She did suggest the store is figuring out how they will respond to this as they have many cards.

I purchased my Hulk only a few weeks ago and they kept that card. But gave me the option to pick it up anytime if i want to when i called earlier today.

Yeah but surely if you know you're retaining a customer's cards and he is in store, you should just return it? I think it's a bit of a pride issue as well. Imagine you telling your customer about retaining their cards and then going back on what you said...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Yeah but surely if you know you're retaining a customer's cards and he is in store, you should just return it? I think it's a bit of a pride issue as well. Imagine you telling your customer about retaining their cards and then going back on what you said...
    So true.

I wonder whether they change the strategy for stickers, travel coffins and bezel protectors going forward.

It looks like this is across all AD's based on my chat today.

Instruction from Rolex direct as the court case was v Rolex not an AD.

I am in no rush and will get them in the new year as I know my Ad is bombed out right now with pre Christmas jewellery orders.

The watches will have to be produced to get the card in my case.

And here comes the flood of sports models on eBay.

I have a retained card at Fraser Hart in Brent Cross and it would appear they are also reviewing the situation in light of the WOS decision.

Blog Entries
    .... as they have many cards.
    Which is strange in itself as all the Ad's I frequent tell me they never get any stock in

Blog Entries
    Instruction from Rolex direct as the court case was v Rolex not an AD.
    Very interesting. Do you have a reference to this? I'd love to see the details.

The watches will have to be produced to get the card in my case.
    I wonder if that is really compatible with the judgment, or something the AD invented.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Very interesting. Do you have a reference to this? I'd love to see the details.

I wonder if that is really compatible with the judgment, or something the AD invented.
    No details just what I was told by my AD who were informed directly by Rolex to start returning the cards and ceasing the practice on new sales with immediate effect.

I think the production of the watch is AD specific as I also have a card with Goldsmiths and they just said pop in and get it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Which is strange in itself as all the Ad's I frequent tell me they never get any stock in
    LOL - so they do..

Just got the call from Fraser Hart to pick up my card for my 5 month old Root Beer. Flippedy flippedy flip

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk