closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 126600 price - what to pay?

Master

Rolex 126600 price - what to pay?

Fancy something new so want to give this a try, have no idea what the market price is for these. Is £10k the going the rate? How do they fit on smallish wrist? I wear a pam 42mm so wondering how it compares on size?

Cheers
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Suspect £10k is in the right ballpark, they are going for a little more on Chrono24 but I guess private sale would get you a discount?

Blog Entries
    If I remember Michael we have similar shaped wrists - (you have bought a few watches off me right?). I found the SD43 fits just fine. One SD43 went on SC for £10K which seems about right for a private sale - you can add maybe £2K to that for the usual resellers depending on age and condition. Hope that helps?

hope all is well?

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If I remember Michael we have similar shaped wrists - (you have bought a few watches off me right?). I found the SD43 fits just fine. One SD43 went on SC for £10K which seems about right for a private sale - you can add maybe £2K to that for the usual resellers depending on age and condition. Hope that helps?

hope all is well?

Martyn.
    Hey mate, yeah...all good thanks. I think my wrists are a tad smaller, but not far off.

Would be good to know how the 43mm compares to the sea dweller deep sea as I used to own one of these and it was too big (height and width). Would be good to hear of any owners who also have had pam 42mm models to hear how the two compare.

To be honest I’m in two minds if it is worth the extra over a standard sub...are they that different to justify the over £££

Cheers

Craftsman
    Here you go, a SD43 next to a PAM 682 42mm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    ... is worth the extra over a standard sub...are they that different to justify the over £££
    They feel quite different watches. The SD is quite a bit heavier and beefy (thicker), but probably this version is the most well proportioned compared to others. Just a shame the cyclops was added - but that ship has sailed.

If you check the relative retail price that will give an indication of the actual price difference.

Martyn

Master
    I have smallish wrists and find the SD43 very comfortable. The wider bracelet along with excellent adjustability balances the watch very well; indeed many people find it more comfortable - because less top-heavy - than the old SD.

Where are you based Mike. ?

I have both and you are most welcome to drop in and try them.

JW
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Fancy something new so want to give this a try, have no idea what the market price is for these. Is £10k the going the rate? How do they fit on smallish wrist? I wear a pam 42mm so wondering how it compares on size?

Cheers
    Mike

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For me it is whole different level (up) from a sub. Size just really works, and IMO it is about the best sports Rolex out there.

Master
    Just tried one on, fit really well. Probably a big mistakes as now I REALLY want one! The hunt is on.

Thanks for everyone’s input

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    Here you go, a SD43 next to a PAM 682 42mm

Thanks. I already have the pam 682 and just tried the SD43, and although I didn’t try them back to back the SD43 almost felt smaller on the wrist. Was quite surprised. Was very comfortable too.

I sold my SubC and got the Sd43 a few months ago for just over £11k, so I think a private sale at £10k is quite a good deal tbh. They are going for over 12k on watchfinder now (but that's a bit rich I think)...

And its actually a touch smaller than 43mm, so compared to the SubC (which is actually 40.5mm) it has more wrist presence and fits my 7" wrist perfectly. I wear the Sd43 most days now - love it!
    Last edited by rsteenekamp; 24th November 2019 at 16:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    And its actually a touch smaller than 43mm
    I've heard that before - has anyone verniered one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I've heard that before - has anyone verniered one?
    I measured the dial and bezel together a while back at 42.8mm... So not much below 43 to be fair.... And the subC at 40.3 or 40.5mm (can't recall which, but was over 40mm)...

Craftsman
    I think it's more the height of the watch that impacts on it's apparent size. It's in no way top heavy and perfectly balanced but it does make itself seen around cuffs.

Compared to a sub-c, or even an explorer 2 (at 42mm) it is much more prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I think it's more the height of the watch that impacts on it's apparent size. It's in no way top heavy and perfectly balanced but it does make itself seen around cuffs.

Very true indeed... At 15.2mm it wears a lot thicker than a subC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post

Now that is interesting hearing your point of view.

I have both the Explorer 11 42 mm and the SD43/50 at 43 mm and on my wrist the Explorer seems to wear bigger.

Strange but true.

Mark

Craftsman
    Good looking watch. Is there much of a premium on the previous model (116600), compared to the newer one (126600)?

I know many hold the SD4000 in high regard, but I can't help but feel the newer one is more "balanced".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

I have both the Explorer 11 42 mm and the SD43/50 at 43 mm and on my wrist the Explorer seems to wear bigger.

Strange but true.

Mark
    Bigger in width (the 42mm explorer does look wide) or height as I mentioned though? The SD50 is a chunky old boy, not as bad as the Deep Sea but there isn't much between the two now the 126660 has the better lugs and bracelet.

I'm not saying anything against the SD50 by the way, I love mine and it'll be the last one of mine to be sold if I can help it. It is a million miles away from the 16600 however.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    I know many hold the SD4000 in high regard, but I can't help but feel the newer one is more "balanced".
    It is, for me. The SD4000 was often criticised for being uncomfortable and top-heavy, and would sit in ADs' windows for weeks (remember those times?), before it was discontinued and almost instantly acquired cult status. Fit is always subjective, of course. I'd dearly love to have both.

the bay shows them in the UK for 11k obo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Strange but true.

Mark
    I think that the dial on an EXP2 is larger than that on the SD43, and especially if it is a polar dial this makes the watch wear larger. All IMHO of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I reckon that it's the height of the DSSD that makes it so very less balanced. The bezel and ceramic insert for the DSSD and the SD50 are exactly the same, that gives a view on some of the dimensions...

FWIW, I have the 116600, 126600 and the 126660 and the 116600 is the perfect watch in terms of 40mm size, lack of cyclops and light weight. I do love them all and the 126600 get most of the wrist time as I have a very large frame!

Master
    How does the bracelet/clasp on the SD43 compare to that of the Tudor black bay, are they similar or is the Tudor’s still bigger?

Managed to get myself on a list (6 month wait) so counting down the days...

The SD43 has a very good bracelet and a glide lock clasp that is even better than that of a Submariner. Quality is leagues ahead of what you will find on any Tudor in my humble opinion - but it is not too big - just fits for the size of the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    The SD43 has a very good bracelet and a glide lock clasp that is even better than that of a Submariner. Quality is leagues ahead of what you will find on any Tudor in my humble opinion - but it is not too big - just fits for the size of the watch.
    Thanks. More interested in the actual dimensions of the straps/clasps. Are they the same or is the SD43 clasp slightly narrower.

No dimensions to hand but I'm on my second BB41 and have previously had a SD43. Currently have a GMT, SubC and Explorer. You cannot compare any Tudor clasp to a Rolex clasp with either easy-link or glide lock. It's like comparing a Renault with a BMW.

I can't recall the glide lock on my SD43 being different than on my SubC apart from width of bracelet and clasp but there was a two year gap between selling the SD43 and buying the SubC so will take the guidance of others on this point.